Languages in the EU

Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:34 am GMT
>>On paper yes, but it will happen like in Europe with Latin. English is the official language, but right now the hispanics represent the vast majority of the population in Miami. I don't care about rural Florida, where there are still many rednecks.<<

Uh, not quite. The City of Miami has a majority of Spanish-speaking people, however the Miami metropolitan area still has a vast majority of people speaking English. The same can be said for the rest of Florida, including other large cities like Tampa Bay and Orlando.

Spanish will never displace English in the United States. English is far too institutionalized--it's not going anywhere. Spanish may create a space for itself, and to some extent it already has, but the more people try and push Spanish into the United States, the more the English speakers are going to push back. It would be a shame if the United States ever had to resort to making one language official on the federal level, but it could happen somewhere down the road if people get angry enough at Hispanic stubborness. A vast majority of Americans (IIRC, somewhere above 85%) support English as the official language of the United States.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:43 am GMT
But in Panama where 20% of it's people claim English as their first language even if they're pure hispanic.

In Costa Rica, where 80% of the people speak English as their secondary language. English signs appear side by side with Spanish and it's a sign that English will displace Spanish in that country.
John Adams   Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:07 am GMT
Latin America is our backyard. It's no wonder that, for various, large chunks of the population speaks English.
Adolfo   Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:42 am GMT
No! USA America is our back yard. It's no wonder that large proportions of USA Americans speak Spanish.
Aussie   Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:22 am GMT
Hispanic America is our toilet bowl even if the majority of them speak fluent English.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am GMT
<<Just I suspected. Mac is a hispanic.>>

Y tu tienes el culo más grande que las furcias de tu barrio
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:24 am GMT
I think that the only option Spanish has to survive in US is that massive Spanish migration concentrates on Florida, so English speakers feel like strangers and end up migrating to other parts of US. Once Florida has 90% of Hispanic population,Spanish will not find any obstacles and everything will be run in Spanish, from universities, high schools, to radio and TV broadcasting.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:27 am GMT
If there is a toilet bowl in the world it's Australia (the most forgetten and unuseful country of the world) and its inhabitants are worth of it
Kangaroo   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:29 am GMT
I agree!
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:31 am GMT
Jajajajajjaaj they even use their country for nuclear waste deposits.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:16 pm GMT
Hispanic countries are toilet bowl of the worldbecause they rot and stink like shit.
Diablo Blanco   Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:20 pm GMT
<<Just I suspected. Mac is a hispanic.>>

And K. T. tries to pass himself off for an Anglo and then tells Anglos they are not Anglo. He has some studying to do... He also tries to pretend that he speaks prefect English and that it is his native language. In reality, I bet his mother speaks a native language other than English and he learned this other language concurrently, or before, English. You can't fool us Gringos, sorry...
Anteater   Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:21 pm GMT
<< Hispanic countries are toilet bowl of the worldbecause they rot and stink like shit. >>

I agree.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:24 pm GMT
Most Mexicans who live within the US border speak English as their first language than Spanish because there are few opportunities that hispanic world can offer.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:26 pm GMT
"And K. T. tries to pass himself off for an Anglo and then tells Anglos they are not Anglo. He has some studying to do... He also tries to pretend that he speaks prefect English and that it is his native language. In reality, I bet his mother speaks a native language other than English and he learned this other language concurrently, or before, English. You can't fool us Gringos, sorry..."

I have to think you are joking or perhaps prying for information about the ethnic origin of my family.