Universities around the World

Skippy   Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:18 pm GMT
Most American universities have French, Spanish, German, Russian, Japanese, and Chinese. Every now and then you'll get one with fewer, but most universities have at least those, others also have language labs where you can do a self-study of most languages.
Skippy   Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:19 pm GMT
I mean many languages, not most... In my experience at two universities (and looking at others before deciding to attend these two) a lot of language labs offer 30 or so more languages.
K. T.   Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:51 pm GMT
I chose some universities randomly and I did not find that all those languages were offered as major courses of study. It isn't true where I live. I know one university which offers all of those and more, but most offer much fewer choices.
K. T.   Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:14 pm GMT
Some Universities I checked

Wake Forest: Many of the languages Skippy mentioned.
Lake Forest: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Spanish
University of South Dakota: French, Spanish and German
Morehead University: French and Spanish
University of Rhode Island: French, Spanish, German and Italian

The University of Arizona has some interesting courses. You can see some of their Kazakh videos on You tube.

I always think Northwestern and the University of San Diego as good schools for languages, but maybe someone can tell us their favourites.
K. T.   Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:16 pm GMT
One of those may be a "college".
Guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:21 pm GMT
Where can I learn Etruscan or Old Ligurian?
gist   Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:26 pm GMT
<<Where can I learn Etruscan or Old Ligurian?>>

The only way I know to learn these, in 5 steps:

1.Gather as much people as you can
2.Go with them at a hypnotist
3.The hypnotist will try, by regresive hypnosis, to find the past lives of each of them
4.Hope you are lucky and some of them lived once as etruscans/ligurians
5.When they are in trance, ask them about their language.

Good luck!
Xie   Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:26 am GMT
So, when an average undergraduate is having headaches with Polish/English, if s/he doesn't really know the way to go, I'd just say learn on your own. But grown-ups often don't know the next step and tend to kick a fuss, so I'd suggest a further step: find any resource you can find in any language you can read, such as TYS series from Britain in English. This question, like the Chinese getting full, is very low-class. "Grown-ups" don't really see through the facts and truth, and so you have to tell them every step with a granny-like tone. I'm afraid they wouldn't even utilize their hands, for example, until something terrible happens (read Stauffenberg).

In short, "people" tend to omit the importance of learning and using the freestyle. Yeah, I know Polish is almost non-existant, like many others, in many countries, but if you WANT to do it, you won't have an excuse and would quickly find Pittsburgh's resources for free with a few clicks in your Firefox/IE and so on.
Erik   Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:21 pm GMT
"Some Universities I checked

University of Rhode Island: French, Spanish, German and Italian"

So, you can see that some very spoken languages like Hindi, or Bengali are not studied in the Universities around the World. We can confirm that these languages are only regional languages, but very spoken.

It is also very interesting that 2 of the most studied languages, Italian and Japanese are not really World languages. They are almost only spoken in Japan and Italy.

In short, English, Spanish, French, German are very studied. Arabic, Chinese and Russian a little less. We can say that only 7 languages are really World languages according to this point.
Erik   Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:22 pm GMT
"Some Universities I checked

University of Rhode Island: French, Spanish, German and Italian"

So, you can see that some very spoken languages like Hindi, or Bengali are not studied in the Universities around the World. We can confirm that these languages are only regional languages, but very spoken.

It is also very interesting that 2 of the most studied languages, Italian and Japanese are not really World languages. They are almost only spoken in Japan and Italy.

In short, English, Spanish, French, German are very studied. Arabic, Chinese and Russian a little less. We can say that only 7 languages are really World languages according to this point.
Skippy   Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:06 am GMT
San Diego State University: Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Hebrew, Japanese, Filipino, Vietnamese, German, French, Spanish, Russian, Italian, Greek, Latin, Portuguese... I don't think I'm missing any... But on top of that there's the one professor who has a method with which he teaches something like 25 languages including those above as well as Thai, Gaelic, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian, Polish, and others.

Louisiana State University: Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Latin, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swahili. Maybe others, I'm not in the Linguistics department here.
K. T.   Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:21 am GMT
Of course! SD is great. I didn't check LSU, but that's impressive. Regrettably, I have nothing like that number of choices where I live.

There is a professor who teaches 25 languages? Does he speak all of them? Is this the professor you mentioned in another thread? He seems to go out of his way to make things easy for students. Amazing.
Herr Wunderbar   Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:56 am GMT
<<The most universal of all are French and English. All others fluctuate with region.>>

Absolument.
God   Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:06 am GMT
<<Regrettably, I have nothing like that number of choices where I live.>>

I look not upon thee in a favourable light. Thy hypocrisy hast caused me to deprive thee of opportunities. Take note and mend thy sinful ways, my faithful subject, and thou wilt be guaranteed everlasting life in the blissful kingdom of heaven. Shouldst thou fail, I shall be forced into retaining thy soul in purgatorial captivity for a period by no means fleeting.
God   Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:09 am GMT
My previous message was addressed to K.T., thou if he knowst it not, I should feel I had failed as a omnipotent being, capable of transferring thoughts and sensations to even the most aloof of my loyal servants who carry out my courageous biddings on the Earth, awaiting their ascension into the kingdom of holiness and rejoicing.