"Love" - the ending of the letter

Laura Braun   Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:45 pm GMT
Magdalena it's better not to end your letter with 'love'.
Because this word most of the time is empty from it's contest, this word doesn't mean nothing. Most of people use it to show diference between Sincerely yours and love, but you don't believe in words.
--   Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:48 pm GMT
Indeed. It depends largely on the person, and you should judge the usage of the word "love" based on the person's personality.

My girlfriend and I never once used the "love" ending in our communications before we actually admitted our love for each other. Hence, the letter ending was somewhat significant for us.

My best friend, also female, still avoids the ending "love" in her correspondence. Usually, we end our letters with "Take care!", or if our emotions are stronger, with "Missing you" or some other emotion-specific but platonic remark.

On the other hand, the vast majority of my female classmates signed my yearbook with "Love __". I'm quite positive that they have no romantic feelings for me ;-). (My male classmates, of course, would write no such thing in my yearbook or else they'd be perceived as homosexual!)

So yes... First, it depends on the gender of the person, with girls more likely to use "Love ___". But second and more importantly, it depends on the individual's personality.
Laura Braun   Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:04 pm GMT
You know what I think : 'love' can only hurt people.
Stan   Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:07 pm GMT
To Laura Braun,

Talking from experience?
Laura Braun   Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:18 pm GMT
Look at Romeo and Julliette, could you imagine if they were alive and got married.
Walker, Texas Ranger   Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:50 pm GMT
Laura Braun, I think you read too much :)

Anyway, here in Sweden no one would write a letter's ending including the word "love" or "your's truely", unless it was a romantic letter. It would look completely absurd. I know some girls write "miss you" or something in a similar fashion, but guys don't for the same reason as stated above.
Formal or half-formal letters end with one of the three versions:

Greetings
Friendly greetings
Very friendly greetings

Informal letters usually end with "See you" or "Take care", not literally but those would be the translations. I would suggest avoiding words like "love" and "your's" so that there won't be any unnecessary misunderstandings. It doesn't have to be impolite by not "sending your love", you can show kindness and appreciation with less extreme words.
thedi   Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:20 am GMT
Thanks laura, thought about what you said and i think you are right. Will give him sometime. But the problem is ven if i try to give him sometime, he thinks i am leaving him. What do i do. He wants me to mail him or send text messages to him
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:43 pm GMT
Thedi, don't do this. Talk to him, met him, call him...Then you will get to know him, but with whole that excanging of emails you can never get to know him. Once I felt in love because of beautiful words which someone had written to me. But I never get to know him personal. So words only can hurt people even love words, whotever.
Thedi   Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:03 pm GMT
Thanks again Laura. Actually we do see each other. We spend most weekend together. He is on holiday for now and will be back soon. I just get confused sometimes if i am wasting my time with him
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:10 pm GMT
You better know yourself, you better know what is the best for yourself. And EVEN it's a help to someone to get over his pain regard it that's good, you are not doing something wrong.
suzzy   Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:11 pm GMT
Having problems with my boyfriend. He has no job but like spending money when he has. He just got some money and he spend most of them on electronics. He later found out that i have another boyfriend cos he doesn't treat me like a woman. He doesn't call, No sweet word to me. I have to ask him when i should visit him. But my new boyfriend is WOW! he made me to understand that i am beautiful and most of it all, he appreciates whatever i do or say. I dont like dating two men. I need to drop one but confuse now as my first boyfriend is trying to please me know but i keep telling him that he can not learn how to use left hand at old age. What do i do
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:19 pm GMT
Be strong with first one , if you want to split it up, just tell him the true. It's better for him to know the true instead to lie him that you are going to drink a coffee with your girlfriend. But you know don't force yourself with third boy friend because that means that there is somethiing wrong in you.
suzzy   Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:40 pm GMT
Thanks laura. found out first one is still young in his brain. He wouldn't want to come and see my parents as where they live is no good. So many things involve. He wants me to do everything for him. He lies. He made me lose about 10 thousand dollars within 4 months by lying. Girls comes around him lie he is a gigolo. i get confuse sometimes.
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:59 pm GMT
I know that some people used others without knowing that. And can still feel you disapointment that you were used in such way. Imagine that you were pregnant from him, what kind of decision can you make in that case. So you are lucky that you have get to know him and don't sorry about 'waste time', 'waste money'. Now you are free.
...   Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:03 pm GMT
Now, now, what is this... a women's love advice column? Post your thoughts on love on 2ch (www.2ch.net) or somewhere like that ;).