size of the USA

Vicky   Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:54 pm GMT
Try Cuba. It's nicer. I met lots of nice Cubans and Canadians there.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:08 pm GMT
I would really love to take a road trip right across the United States - say, starting off from the coast of Maine, right up there in the North east corner, driving down through New England, to New York City. From there down to Washington, and then going down through Virginia and into the South, then across the Appalachian mountains towards New Orleans, then down into Texas, then on through Oklahoma towards Arizona and California. Then up the coast of California right up to Washington State, then heading eastwards again on the return journey going through the wide open spaces of emptiness in Montana, through the Dakotas, down into Iowa and the prairies, then on to Chicago. From there along the southern shores of the Great Lakes to Ohio and then back to New York State, then up through Vermont and New Hampshire, and back to Maine.

From there a quick trip down to New York again, and to JFK airport - and the next stop Heathrow airport.

What an interesting trip that would be. Then I would really get to see what ordinary Americans are really like. I reckon it would be a very pleasant experience. I would make sure I had watertight health insurance cover, though!! ;-)
Skippy   Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 pm GMT
lol getting to meet ordinary Americans... You certainly would, but, speaking as someone who has driven to San Diego from Dallas and back (like, 12 times), there's not much to see. Phoenix is a fun city and El Paso is alright, but you have to be really excited about the road trip to enjoy it the whole time... Dallas to San Diego is about 24 hours.
Genetd   Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:14 pm GMT
<<Try Cuba. It's nicer. I met lots of nice Cubans and Canadians there.>>

Man that's so 1997 bro. Cuba is boring and only becomes boringer when you add some Canadians. In March I was to Paris and we're at a manifestation to protest against the Iraq war and the Canadians you know were not so cool. They are like bringing me down you know?
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:28 am GMT
And you people, have the USA Government you deserve...

the same government responsible for the 9/11.

This makes no sense at all, unless you are into wacky conspiracy theories that have since all be disproved.

the same government responsible for Pearl Harbor

No the Japanese were responsible for that. Prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor the US wanted to stay out of the war. The Pearl Harbor attack is what dragged the US into it.

the same government responsible for Vietnam

The French were there long before the US ever got involved.

the same government responsible for IRAQ

Saddam Hussain had 12 years to comply with UN resolutions. It was the UN that didn't follow through. The US just did what was necessary. In the long run we will all be safer as we are now unlikely to have to deal with BOTH a nuclear armed Iran AND Iraq... (This is the real reason why the US went into Iraq, but that's a whole other issue)

the same government responsible for Kwait
No, Iraq invaded Kuwait, and the US just led an international force that freed Kuwait. To this day when I deal with Kuwaitis on the phone and they find out I am in the US they *often* let it be known how thankful they are to the US for having saved them from Iraq. That is how thankful many of them are to the US.

the same government responsible for Korea

At least South Koreans live in freedom thanks to the US having gotten involved. If it weren't for the US all Koreans would be living like they do in North Korea. Perhaps if more of the "Western" "Civilized" world had gotten involved in the 1950s then there wouldn't be a communist North Korea.

You may not like the fact that the US "gets involved" but had they had historically followed the European example of appeasement an non-involvement the world would be a much nastier place than it is today.

Now go take a bath and brush your teeth, you smelly little Europeeon.
Skippy   Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:04 am GMT
Ditto.
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 am GMT
<<I would really love to take a road trip right across the United States - say, starting off from the coast of Maine, right up there in the North east corner, driving down through New England, to New York City. From there down to Washington, and then going down through Virginia and into the South, then across the Appalachian mountains towards New Orleans, then down into Texas, then on through Oklahoma towards Arizona and California. Then up the coast of California right up to Washington State, then heading eastwards again on the return journey going through the wide open spaces of emptiness in Montana, through the Dakotas, down into Iowa and the prairies, then on to Chicago. From there along the southern shores of the Great Lakes to Ohio and then back to New York State, then up through Vermont and New Hampshire, and back to Maine.>>

Gasp! -- think of the carbon footprint of a trip like this. Maybe you should use a motorbike or plain bicycle instead? :)
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:56 am GMT
<<Man that's so 1997 bro. Cuba is boring and only becomes boringer when you add some Canadians. In March I was to Paris and we're at a manifestation to protest against the Iraq war and the Canadians you know were not so cool. They are like bringing me down you know? >>

Is "manifestation" now part of the cool new US slang?
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:57 am GMT
<<Gasp! -- think of the carbon footprint of a trip like this.>>

When in Rome, do as the Romans do...
Amabo   Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:29 am GMT
"Is 'manifestation' now part of the cool new US slang?"

I suspect Guest is French, hence his (her?) use of "la manif."

And "manifestation" is the right word for it; ostentatious but essentially pointless demonstrations against everything and anything are vraiment la spécialité of the French student par excellence.

Now, where are the CRS when we need them?

C'mon guys, I know you're all sitting in your buses along those Parisian sidestreets...