Attempted murder!

Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:15 am GMT
!!!!Perhaps the last 3 digits of IP addresses should be shown. !!!!

MrP stands for Mr Policeman?
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:17 am GMT
< But here, several supposedly different posters will suddenly arrive, all sharing one opinion and one idiolect, and attacking one poster. >

Are you and expert in idiolect? And, who is this one person who is attacked?
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:27 am GMT
Mr Pedantic, stop being so pedantic.
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:36 am GMT
MrP has the habit of moderating even where he isn't moderator.
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:38 am GMT
I think what he was referring to is happening right now.
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:23 am GMT
<<<<<I think what he was referring to is happening right now. >>>>>

Really? Are you all the same person?
Johnny   Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:19 pm GMT
Hey MrP! :-)

<<But here, several supposedly different posters will suddenly arrive, all sharing one opinion and one idiolect, and attacking one poster [...]>>

Yeah, you got the idea. This forum has no authentication whatsoever, so everyone can be everyone. I am Johnny just because I wrote Johnny, but anyone could pretend to be me or anyone else. No authentication = no identity = debatable sources = excess of crap and trolls

The first comment on your post was written by a Guest at 8:15am, which is 2 minutes after MollyB cam here and started a new thread. Then there seem to be no comments for an hour, until 9:23am when a Guest posted again, which is 1 minute after MollyB came here again and started another thread.

This forum is a great forum because there are great people, extremely knowledgeable and helpful, but there is too much pollution. Thank God trolls don't seem to spoil the threads I'm interested in, LOL.
guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:58 pm GMT
Good points from everyone. I've long suspected that MollyB and Morgan are the same person and I think I can recognize when this person posts as guest as well. there's hostility and sarcasm toward anything that suggests there should be order to language and the questions are so nonsensical that they suggest a troll. I'm also sensing this person is not a native English speaker. Then there's the person who champions the phrase "wake up to Saddam" "wake up to English" "wake up to terrorism". I can't put my finger on it but that person doesn't "feel" like a native English speaker and "feels" like another person who posts but I don't know if it's Morgan/MollyB.

Very interesting indeed. I believe it was KT who said there (I'm paraphrasing) 5 people in this forum posting as 14 different people.
Johnny   Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:09 pm GMT
>>><>Yeah, you got the idea. This forum has no authentication whatsoever, so everyone can be everyone. I am Johnny just because I wrote Johnny, but anyone could pretend to be me or anyone else. No authentication = no identity = debatable sources = excess of crap and trolls <<<<<<

Hey, Johnny, stop stealing my identity.
Morgan   Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:12 pm GMT
I've long suspected that MollyB and Morgan are the same person and I think I can recognize when this person posts as guest as well.

"Long suspected"? How long has Morgan been posting here?
I'm Johnny 2   Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:46 pm GMT
**"Long suspected"? How long has Morgan been posting here?**

That's SO ALICE! Go to the ALICE website and try to converse with ALICE. Since she's a chatbot, it can't answer questions or discuss issues the same way a real person would. Instead it relies on parts of your text and comes back with a preprogrammed response, even if it's not relevant or on point. Now I know why Morgan's posts here seemed so familiar. It's a postbot.
Caz   Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:54 pm GMT
<<Then there's the person who champions the phrase "wake up to Saddam" "wake up to English" "wake up to terrorism". I can't put my finger on it but that person doesn't "feel" like a native English speaker>>

Are you saying that those expressions are not native English, Guest?
MrPedantic   Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 pm GMT
[quote="Johnny"]
The first comment on your post was written by a Guest at 8:15am, which is 2 minutes after MollyB cam here and started a new thread. Then there seem to be no comments for an hour, until 9:23am when a Guest posted again, which is 1 minute after MollyB came here again and started another
[/quote]

:)

This thread always makes me laugh:

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t7631-15.htm

Ex uno plures. (Then as now.)

MrP
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:31 am GMT
**Are you saying that those expressions are not native English, Guest? **

The words themselves are individually, understandable. They're English (Except for Saddam, but we all understand that's a guy's name) but the construction is odd. Kind of like if you asked me if I want to go to a restaurant I said, "That's cool for my mind". It's English but it's an idiom I've never heard and it sounds like someone who is familiar with English but hasn't ever been totally immersed in the language environment.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:37 am GMT
Аre you serious? "To wake up to something" is a phrase I've been using my whole life in various situations... Maybe it's just your particular variety of English which lacks this construction... But that doesn't mean it isn't perfectly good English.