Guest   Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:14 am GMT
<< The Antimoon article:
http://www.antimoon.com/other/writingdamage.htm
provoked many readers to write to us and many of them wrote:
YOU CANNOT LEARN WITHOUT MAKING MISTAKES. >>

The Antimoon article:
http://www.antimoon.com/other/writingdamage.htm
provoked many readers into writing to us and many indicated:
YOU CANNOT LEARN WITHOUT MAKING MISTAKES.

<< They think that they have to make mistakes if they want to learn English. >>

They think that mistakes are inevitable, while learning English.

<< This phrase sounds almost like a proverb.>>

Delete this.

<< I want to discuss it further because I believe that it is false and misleading. >>

I want to discuss this further, because I believe it is false and misleading.

Even better:

I want to discuss this further, because I believe it can be strongly challenged.

<< I started learning another foreign language in order to see if I could learn without mistakes. I wanted to show people that it is possible to learn a language without making mistakes. >>

I am learning another foreign language, to see if I can learn without making mistakes. I want to show people that this is possible.

<< I have learned Norwegian for about half a year now. And I believe that I haven't made a single mistake. You can read about my Norwegian experiment:
http://www.antimoon.com/norsk >>

I have now been learning Norwegian for about half a year. And I believe I haven't made a mistake. You can read about my Norwegian language project at:
http://www.antimoon.com/norsk
Guest   Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:46 pm GMT
What's your point sir?
Caspian   Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:37 pm GMT
Everything that the original writer has written is still correct, but you've just made it sound slightly more native. I suspect you're British, as well, by the way that you have changed the past simple to the perfect.
Trawicks   Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:18 pm GMT
I'm assuming the point is that the antimoon fellow indeed did make mistakes. However all of the "corrections" here are either attempts to formalize the writer's register or to rectify minute errors that would be made by most natives.

In fact, I would consider some of these "errors" proof of the effectiveness of the learner's method, since they aren't really mistakes so much as informal uses of grammar (e.g. the use of "have to" and use of postverbal "that").
beneficii   Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:25 pm GMT
The original text by the authors is fine.
Guest   Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:41 pm GMT
<< They think that mistakes are inevitable, while learning English. >>

They think mistakes are inevitable, while learning English.
Guest   Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:21 am GMT
"the antimoon fellow " is Michal one of the creators of this site.
Guest   Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:38 pm GMT
<< Everything that the original writer has written is still correct,>>

I started the thread, and I think that the original writer's English
seems to be a similar standard to that of a native speaker.
Geoff_One   Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:40 am GMT
<< Everything that the original writer has written is still correct, but you've just made it sound slightly more native. >>

<< I'm assuming the point is that the antimoon fellow indeed did make mistakes. However all of the "corrections" here ..>>

I can't see where the OP said there were mistakes.

So is it - Correcting Mistakes or Streamlining?

I say it is streamlining.
Geoff_One   Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:29 am GMT
There are many levels of english above native.
I have been to places where native speakers with a good humanties based
University degree entertained ideas that their English is not very good.
These ideas then metamorphised into thoughts that they didn't know English. The place - certain areas of the APS. This is not a joke or an exaggeration. I repeat, this is not a joke or an exaggeration.
Geoff_One   Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:38 am GMT
I repeat once again, this is not a joke or an exaggeration.
|||   Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:40 pm GMT
In my opinion... English is a language, and languages are tools that allow humans to express their thoughts, feelings, ideas, etc. Reading is the key to enrich not only our vocabulary, but also to transform our thinking.

As someone else said: there are levels, compare the writings of a 5 years old child expressing love against the way a 25 years old educated man does. Although the Child expression is clear and easily understood, it could be a little bumpy, whilst the writing of the man would be... complex, but smoother.

So, I think that the original writing is correct, but the second one is... easier to understand and more natural. May be because there is an universal language, which we all know inherently as part of our native language.

That is why, when you are speaking/expressing in your native language you are more... natural.

Best regards.
|||
Geoff_One   Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:52 am GMT
<< As someone else said: there are levels, compare the writings of a 5 years old child expressing love against the way a 25 years old educated man does. Although the Child expression is clear and easily understood, it could be a little bumpy, whilst the writing of the man would be... complex, but smoother. >>

complex, but smoother => crisp

APS language
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:12 am GMT
Geoff_One, is that a joke or an exaggeration?
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:50 am GMT
Substance