You Cannot Learn English Without Making Mistakes

Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:10 am GMT
<< is that a joke or an exaggeration >>

There are more options.
Another Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:18 am GMT
"I suspect you're British, as well, by the way that you have changed the past simple to the perfect."
You think that past simple is appropriate for an ongoing process?

"<< They think that mistakes are inevitable, while learning English. >>

They think mistakes are inevitable, while learning English."

Are you saying that it is incorrect to include the word "that"? The object of "think" is not "mistakes", so not including "that" is incorrect (or, at least, informal). The comma, however, is incorrect.
Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:41 am GMT
<< I suspect you're British, as well, >>

Where is the B in APS?
Guest   Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:07 pm GMT
<< incorrect >>

There are other possibilities - eg streamlining.
Guest   Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:15 am GMT
<< Are you saying that it is incorrect to include the word "that"? The object of "think" is not "mistakes", so not including "that" is incorrect (or, at least, informal). The comma, however, is incorrect. >>

Humpty Dumpty and Alice.
Guest   Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:10 pm GMT
<< Are you saying that it is incorrect to include the word "that"? >>

What is "it"?
Guest   Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:33 pm GMT
<< They think that mistakes are inevitable, while learning English.

They think mistakes are inevitable, while learning English."

Are you saying that it is incorrect to include the word "that"? The object of "think" is not "mistakes", so not including "that" is incorrect (or, at least, informal). The comma, however, is incorrect. >>

"The comma, however, is incorrect."

A sweeping statement.
Norway   Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:44 pm GMT
I've had a look here http://www.antimoon.com/norsk/reports/end01.htm and found this:

"Siden for over to maaneder har jeg ikke gjort noe med norsk"

This is incorrect, though perfectly understandable. "Jeg har ikke lært norsk på to måneder." or "Jeg har ikke gjort noe med norsk de to siste månedene." could be used.

"min intrykk" should be "mitt inntrykk".

The correction is correct Norwegian, but it sounds stilted. It looks like the person who corrected has tried to keep it as close as possible to the original text.

I wouldn't have bothered posting this except for this quote:
"I am learning another foreign language, to see if I can learn without making mistakes. I want to show people that this is possible."
Matt   Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:50 pm GMT
As people have said the original text is mainly fine. There are some small refinements that could be made, but the only clear error is "provoked them to write" instead of "provoked them into writing". All the other so-called errors are acceptable even from native speakers, although occasionally stylistically infelicitous.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:54 pm GMT
"The comma, however, is incorrect."

There has been a curious failure to justify this.
Intransigente   Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:54 pm GMT
You can not learn ANYTHING without making mistakes....period.
Donald   Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:52 am GMT
So what's the answer?
Alice   Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:01 am GMT
The original sounds OK to me.
I don't know why there were complaints.
Tom   Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:03 am GMT
Folks, remember that Michal was trying to write the article in simple English so that even beginners could understand it. Of course he could have written it in a more native-like, better-flowing way, but that would have discouraged many readers.
Townsend   Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:01 am GMT
Folks, remember that Michal wrote the article in everyday English so that readers here could readily digest it. Of course, he could have written it in a more formal academic way, but that would not have further aided our antimoon readers.