What is neutral accent ?

myshashi   Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:26 am GMT
It is nothing but globally understandable English .
Guest   Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:54 pm GMT
Pacific Northwest English.
Skippy   Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
Nope. Mountain Western Urban (Denver, SLC, and even Phoenix and El Paso to an extent).
Guest   Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:36 pm GMT
>> Nope. Mountain Western Urban (Denver, SLC, and even Phoenix and El Paso to an extent). <<

Nah. They definitely have an accent. Listen to how they pronounce words like "tomorrow" tomahrow, and "bag" as "bahg".
Jim   Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:54 pm GMT
The written word.
Travis   Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:05 pm GMT
The only "neutral accent" that I know of, as English goes, is conservative General American, but the matter is that practically no one truly speaks such anymore today. Even RP, while being a standard variety, is by no means truly "neutral" in and of itself.
Jim   Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:25 pm GMT
There's no such thing as a "neutral accent" even conservative General American is by no means neutral.
Travis   Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:45 pm GMT
>>There's no such thing as a "neutral accent" even conservative General American is by no means neutral.<<

Tis true - it makes one sound like some old newscaster, yes, even though it still is not nearly as marked as say, RP.
Guest   Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:47 pm GMT
It's used in Columbus, Ohio and Indianapolis, Indiana.
the last safe haven of ''Standard Midwestern''
Stanji   Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:01 pm GMT
What is neutral supposed to mean anyway. Agreeable, understandable, somehwere in the middle of all the accents?

Don't geddit.
Travis   Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:05 pm GMT
I myself do not see the why some people have so much of a problem with speaking an actual dialect of English, as opposed to some silly artificial standard variety of one sort or another (which even when spoken tends to differ at times from what is supposedly "standard").
Guest   Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:14 pm GMT
As I said before, the Pacific Northwest accent is the only standard accent, in that every word is pronounce how it is supposed to be pronounced.
Guest   Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:47 pm GMT
-the Pacific Northwest accent -

They rhyme BAG with VAGUE
that is so nonstandard.
Guest   Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:06 am GMT
>>how it is supposed to be pronounced

How are words "supposed" to be pronounced? There is NO such thing as a neutral accent.
Guest   Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:03 am GMT
>> They rhyme BAG with VAGUE
that is so nonstandard.

Not rhyming bag and vague is non-standard.