What makes French a Latin-Germanic mixed language

léa   Thu May 14, 2009 2:41 pm GMT
<<Indians are the really whites because the Aryans descend from them so they are genetically superior. Ethnic whites are ugly, especially northern European who have disgusting features. The men look all like idiotic drunkards with red cheek and skin showing veins, they are very hairy becuase of quite cold and windy climates. The women are hairy too and look like fat-cellulite sluts. They stink too.
Indians will be the dominant race over false whites. >>

Wrong thread perhaps? I think this might go under "Are Italians relly {really} white"?

LOL!!!!
fucktards   Thu May 14, 2009 5:14 pm GMT
I repeat: Indians are the really whites because the Aryans descend from them so they are genetically superior. Ethnic whites are ugly, especially northern European who have disgusting features. The men look all like idiotic drunkards with red cheek and skin showing veins, they are very hairy becuase of quite cold and windy climates. The women are hairy too and look like fat-cellulite sluts. They stink too.
Indians will be the dominant race over false whites.
Lobo   Thu May 14, 2009 7:04 pm GMT
''I repeat: Indians are the really whites because the Aryans descend from them so they are genetically superior...''

I think it's too late for you, you should go to bed now and have good dreams.
Guest   Thu May 14, 2009 7:06 pm GMT
According to scientists flyes and Indians share 100% of genes.
Lydia   Fri May 15, 2009 3:17 pm GMT
encore Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 pm GMT

Some French are trying to deny the fact,that French is Latin-Germanic mixed language

We don't deny anything, French is a romance language.Nothing else to say.
Guest   Fri May 15, 2009 4:03 pm GMT
<<We don't deny anything, French is a romance language.Nothing else to say. >>

Sure there is. French is a Romance language with a germanic influence.

Not saying this is like saying "English is a germanic language" and not admitting that there is a huge amount of lexical borrowing from Romance languages, but just concluding "English is a germanic language.Nothing else to say."

The real matter herre should be "Why do the French seem to have a problem with the germanic element in their language. Why do they seem to be ashamed of it? It's what makes French "French". it should be celebrated.
guest guest   Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 pm GMT
" Not saying this is like saying "English is a germanic language" and not admitting that there is a huge amount of lexical borrowing from Romance languages, but just concluding "English is a germanic language.Nothing else to say."

Very false. The romance influence over English is dozens of times more important that any germanic influence over french.

The percentage of romance vocabulary on english average speech is about
between 5 and 20% of used words. Maybe a bit more if it is a very intellectual or scientific speech.

The total romance vocabulary in English lexical is more than half, some even say that it is close to 70%.

Of course the germanic influence in the romance language is far to be that close. In total french vocabulary only about 400 words are surely gemanic in origin. Some say that about a maximum of 15 of french vocabulary could have some germanic origins - without certitudes, and concerning a lot of today non-used rural/military/nobility words.

In a french average speech the percentage of words of germanic origins is negligible.

There might be some germanic influences on french, as well as on othe romance languages (this long discussion prooved that french was not on a much different step than the other romance languages on that point)
jimmy   Fri May 15, 2009 4:51 pm GMT
The real matter herre should be "Why do the French seem to have a problem with the germanic element in their language. Why do they seem to be ashamed of it? It's what makes French "French". it should be celebrated.

Because, like many people, they think : germanic language = ugly language. Romance language =beautiful language. That's why they don't like it, it makes french language less "elegant", for them.
(but I disagree with this)
just a message   Fri May 15, 2009 5:14 pm GMT
" Because, like many people, they think : germanic language = ugly language. Romance language =beautiful language. That's why they don't like it, it makes french language less "elegant", for them. "

Wrong. You really don't understand french and romance countries in general I think. This kind of thinking is specific of Germanic-speaking countries. We don't see our own romance languages as "beautiful", this this generally what could think some people in gemanic-speaking areas. For us "romance languages" are just our "normal and usual way of communication". We don't put latin/romance on a piedestal supposed to be reflecting nobility, culture and refinement as a lot of germanic peoples tend to do.

What germanic means for us is not "ugly" or "non-elegant", but just "foreign", "strange", "unusual" or "northern", etc... But also a lot of people find gemanic words and influences (especially from English) to be "cool". For exemple in some cases, among teenagers, it is not uncommon to reverse word order to make it looking like English: 'Attitude positive' becomes 'positive attitude' to give it a "fashion/cool/modern" looking. I think this is absurd, but this is how it is seen by many. So, no, germanic aspects are definitly not seen as been sort of "ugly" but more like reflects modernitiy and fashion.
Guest   Fri May 15, 2009 5:19 pm GMT
<<Of course the germanic influence in the romance language is far to be that close. In total french vocabulary only about 400 words are surely gemanic in origin. Some say that about a maximum of 15 of french vocabulary could have some germanic origins - without certitudes, and concerning a lot of today non-used rural/military/nobility words.
>>

Incorrect. The famous "400-450" germanic words is in reference ONLY to *Ancient* germanic (Frankish, Burgundian, Gothic, etc) at the *root* level (i.e. not counting derived terms [eg. début < but et déborder < bord]. If these are counted as well, then the number goes up exponentially. Also, these 400-450 words do not include germanic loans from other contributing languages over time (words from Dutch, from German, Old Norse, English, etc.)

<<In a french average speech the percentage of words of germanic origins is negligible. >>

This is true.

<<There might be some germanic influences on french, as well as on othe romance languages (this long discussion prooved that french was not on a much different step than the other romance languages on that point) >>

FALSE. It did not prove that. It leaned more to the other side.

As concerning which language, English or French, was more affected by the other family is debatable. I don't think you can adequately compare, because the affectedness is different. With English, it is only a matter or words, extra words which are not really part of the normal vocabulary and which are becoming obsolete. With French, it is more along the lines of structure, which affects how the language functions, and the phonology, how it sounds.
Helene   Fri May 15, 2009 5:22 pm GMT
Even if I'm a filthy bitch you will not have my stinky cunt!!! AHAHAH
Guest   Fri May 15, 2009 5:56 pm GMT
<<Also, these 400-450 words do not include germanic loans from other contributing languages over time (words from Dutch, from German, Old Norse, English, etc.) >>

One source I also missed are the germanic words coming from other Romance languages, like Italian. Below is a list of French words borrowed from Italian which are actually germanic in origin:

balcon
espionnage
bandière
bastion
bandoulière
banquet
stuc
gala
tremplin
estamper
fresque
trille
trombone
banque
franco
gazette
embusquer
escarmouche
estoc
escarper
bandit
estrapade
ballon
bastonnade
tromblon
greg   Sat May 16, 2009 9:19 am GMT
Guest : « Below is a list of French words borrowed from Italian which are actually germanic in origin [...] ».

Dont il te faudra prouver l'origine germanique si tu veux être pris au sérieux.
guest   Sat May 16, 2009 11:17 am GMT
>We don't put latin/romance on a piedestal supposed to be reflecting nobility, culture and refinement as a lot of germanic peoples tend to do.

Yes it is, you understood the core of the subject.
Latin people have always seen Germanic peoples like inferior and barbarian, according to periods Italian and French were the high languages in the courts of Europe (especially in the germanic ones). Germanic languages never have been spoken in countries with romance languages nor as considering "nice". The reason English has its diffusion today is due to british colonialism first and american imperialism after. Not for "cultural" reasons. So there is nothing to be proud about it.

> lot of people find gemanic words and influences (especially from English) to be "cool". For exemple in some cases, among teenagers

Sincerely I have NEVER heard anyone speaking in German, Dutch or whatever and more than less considering them "cool".
English words maybe, but for the reasons above. It's obvious "teenagers" like english: it's the lingua franca and the only one they heard from movies to videogames to music to all media. Furthermore I have never seen many teenagers who are in love with "culture"
Lydia   Sat May 16, 2009 12:38 pm GMT
"But also a lot of people find gemanic words and influences (especially from English) to be "cool". For exemple in some cases, among teenagers, it is not uncommon to reverse word order to make it looking like English: 'Attitude positive' becomes 'positive attitude' to give it a "fashion/cool/modern" looking. I think this is absurd, but this is how it is seen by many. So, no, germanic aspects are definitly not seen as been sort of "ugly" but more like reflects modernitiy and fashion. "

Sorry, but English language is not really considered like "germanic", it's the lingua franca, the language of USA, of course it's popular!!
But German, Dutch languages are considered like uglies by many french, italian or spanish teenagers. You will never hear them use german words to be cool.