Recommend an audio book

nick   Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:04 am GMT
I want to try the shadown technique. PLease recommend an audio book with a speaker with new york city accent. I live in NYC so. That 's so I am trying to learn the NYC accent. I know that's the best accent, but I live here.
araucarian   Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:06 pm GMT
One possibility would be to listen to the Michael Savage talk radio show, just concentrating on his speech (not the politics). Apparently, he's proud of his strong NYC accent, and doesn't try to suppress it.
Jasper   Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
Nick, if you do want to shadow Michael Savage's voice, you could tape it right off the air. You need about thirty minutes worth of speech, so you might have to tape two or three shows to get enough material.

Be patient with yourself. This method is boring, tedious, and grueling, but it works wonderfully for those who have the right amount of discipline.

Finding an audiobook with a New York speaker would prove a daunting prospect, because General American speakers are usually used for such endeavors.
nick   Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:31 am GMT
all right, thank you! First, I have to make sure this is the guy you are talking about http://michaelsavage.wnd.com/. On his website, I found out he's got a audio book now, so I think I can use this to practice.
nick   Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:21 am GMT
all right, thank you! First, I have to make sure this is the guy you are talking about http://michaelsavage.wnd.com/. On his website, I found out he's got a audio book now, so I think I can use this to practice.
nick   Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:40 am GMT
How often do I need to practice and how long? Like 30 minutes every day?
araucarian   Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:43 pm GMT
It looks like that's probably the website (I only hear him on the radio, if I'm driving home later that usual from work) . The best bet is to see if the audio recordings have a New York City accent.

Another possibility is to see if there are any recordings of Mayor Juliani's speeches (YouTube?).
Jasper   Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:49 pm GMT
Nick, my sources tell me that it will depend upon three factors: 1. Whether English is your native language, 2. your chronological age, and 3. your native ability for language-learning.

If you're a native, significant improvement (and even mastery, if you're gifted) could be attained by six months, working at 30 minutes a day; a non-native with little language-learning ability will take much longer. (If my sources are accurate, complete native-speaking ability for non-natives isn't 100% possible.)

Just keep at it until you feel you have mastered it. The use of "before' and "after" tapes is suggested to monitor your progress.
nick   Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:01 am GMT
Can you check this for me please,
http://michaelsavage.wnd.com/?pageId=2258
He works in WOR station. Does he read the book with NYC accent?
nick   Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:17 am GMT
The Savage Nation with Michael Savage everyday from Monday to Friday. Is this the guy you are talking about? I found on the WOR website.
Nick   Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:27 am GMT
what station does he work? I found him on the WOR website and 910 KNEW. I found his podcasting on 910 KNEW, so I don't need to record any more. http://www.910knew.com/podcast/savage.xml , can you verify it for me, please.
Jasper   Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:37 am GMT
That's a New York accent, all right.
araucarian   Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:16 am GMT
<<The Savage Nation with Michael Savage everyday from Monday to Friday. Is this the guy you are talking about? I found on the WOR website. >>

Yes -- it's on WOR and WGY, and other stations. The show is really from California. It definitely sounds like an old-fashioned New York accent (I think this guy is in his 60s).

Another talk show host with a NYC accent is Curtis Sliwa -- I have no idea what station he's on, though.
nick   Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:59 pm GMT
<t definitely sounds like an old-fashioned New York accent (I think this guy is in his 60s). >

Does it sound funy, if I speak with this accent? I am 28 years old.
eeuuian   Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
<<Does it sound funy, if I speak with this accent? I am 28 years old.>>

I'd just try for some sort of more moderate accent. Since you live in NYC, you should be able to answer your own question. How many young folks in NYC talk like Michael Savage?