Word that should be banned: Cum

Propaganda Bottle   Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:29 am GMT
<<There is no such person who denies doing an action he thinks/knows he can handle. >>

No, there are many such situations. For example, if someone asks me to give a dance performance in a large theatre, although I am certain I would be capable if I put my whole mind into it, being not into that kind of thing I would probably chicken out.
Aidan McLaren   Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:11 am GMT
You obviously never looked into what I just said, did you?

It's our boredom and nihilism that makes us "irrational". You cannot expect a creature with a powerful brain to cope with the nothingness of life, can you?

Hence the random ridiculousness of mankind. If you think humans aren't rational, then what animals on this planet do you think are?

And as for you, Propaganda Bottle: What you just described was a situation where you know/think you can't handle, because of the pointlessness and needlessness of doing so. So my point still stands.

There is no such thing as "cowardice" or "bravery". Those are just unreal terms we use to justify our own weaknesses.
USian   Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:09 pm GMT
<< Talk proper English you idiots. >>

What is proper English? There are only dialects of English. For instance American English has been influenced to a degree by AAVE.

For example instead of saying "That's a very big truck."

We say "That's a bigass truck". The -ass here is an intensitive suffix.

There are many other examples like these.
USian   Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:24 pm GMT
Obviously, either form is acceptable though the former is bit more lofty.
Caspian   Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:36 pm GMT
<< There are only dialects of English. >>

This is completely wrong. There is standard English; I would disagree with the statement that there are really any dialects of English - just one language form - but it is possible to speak this language with different accents, or use slightly different vocabulary depending on the region. This is not really 'dialects' as such - merely regional accents.

There is only one correct form, Standard English. There are some spelling rules which differ between countries - namely Britain and America - but these are just spelling rules. I am currently typing in Standard English.

now im usin a difrent form of english, but its not a dialect - its just a difrent way of ritin it.
Cadaver   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:29 pm GMT
Yo Caspian my broz, you sayn der being no dialects of English eh? Well if you be thinkin that i say you be needin to come down to da Caribbean and stick out a convo wit da lokal boyz down at za wozer.
greg   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:38 pm GMT
I like the word "cum". It reminds me of when I'm alone with my boyfriend and eat all his "blanc" cum.
dick squirts cum   Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:37 am GMT
change the password to blanc cum!!!!!!!!!
Aidan McLaren   Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:34 am GMT
"That's a very big truck" is "lofty"?!

Let's make English a little more infantile, absolutely...
USian   Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:42 pm GMT
If that's your opinion of American English then so be it. It suits us fine, even though it might be considered 'infantile' by those who speak more refined or dare say it 'lofty' dialects.
USian   Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:47 pm GMT
That said, I, like most, revert to standard English when writing or typing.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:57 pm GMT
Disregarding any references to the common acceptance of the meaning of this word in English "cum" is also a Latin word meaning "with". It is reflected in a good many UK placenames, especially down in England, and more especially in smaller places such as villages.

One exception would be the fairly large suburb of the city of Manchester called Chorlton-cum-Hardy, but in all these places "cum" acts as a link word in that there are two communities combined into one single name. In other words there are two villages situated very close to each other but administratively combined into a single unit. "Chorlton" with "Hardy, making one larger unit.

As I say, there are scores more "cum" places dotting the map of England, all of them being small village communities consisting of two joined together as one whole, as in Glazebury cum Penshurst, being just one such place. I cannot find any Scottish place name involving the use of "cum".

Latin words feature in a good many UK place names, again, mostly in England, for obvious reasons. For instance you will find two villages close together in the depths of the English countryside, one a wee bit larger (magna) than the other (parva) - meaning large and small respectively in Latin. Eg: Upton Magna and Upton Parva, again as one example.

"Juxta" is Latin for "next" and again this word appears in some English place names - referring to the location of a certain place adjoining a certain feature - very often a hill or whatever. Eg: Eydon Juxta Nene (the last bit being a river.

Down in Somerset, England, is the seaside town of Weston Super Mare -"super" being "above", in this case "above" the sea (mare in Latin). Many other seaside places, or places located on rivers, just use the English word "on" or "upon" - eg Bexhill-on-Sea, or Kingston-upon-Thames, the words "on" or "upon" not being taken too literally, of course.
Guest   Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:57 am GMT
Chorlton-cum-Hardy,

Haha, hilarious.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:28 am GMT
greg   Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:38 am GMT
il est "cum blanc", si'l te plait