English Speaker wants to find out about Latynka and others

Xenia   Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:24 am GMT
Hello there fellow lifelong learners
I am seeking any discussions that would involve the czech, slovak, Polish, Ukrainian, Belorusian, Latinka languages and culture
I have a very old letter that turned up that was written by my great-grandmother. I have since been trying to translate it from Internet translators, along with dictionaries I have checked out from the library but cannot find what language she is speaking.
I am finding commonalities in these languages having similar words such as tak, jak, etc., but am assuming this is because they are all SLAVIC LANGUAGES, wether eastern or western slavic, they nonetheless share similar words. Anyone's thoughts on this?
If any of you are from the carpathian region, I would like to hear about this area, she was from the N.E. section of what was at one time Hungary (Ung), but I don't think this is where she was originally from.
I am starting to think she is speaking in a romanized/latinized version of Ukrainian, such as Latinka, anyone know about this language?
She uses words such as Jaka, Aha, Muj, Tak, Jak, Jaha, Mam, Tim, Vam Vas, Taki to name a few but these take up only a small percent of the letter leaving me unable to find the majority of the other words in other languages that I have searched in through the translators in books and online (czech, slovak, Ukrainian, Russian), even Romany gypsy and Yiddish!
Is it possible she may be writing in some romanized/latinized Russian, Ukrainian, Belorusian? I think this when I see words like sdave, jrazdva, sdvavi, nasztanye, cejak...
I also realize there are other languages from the region I am speaking of in the Carpathian Mountains, like the langugages of the carpathian-rusyns and Lemko's.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Xenia
"what French word describes the color of this page's background?" is the question just before I hit "send message"
the answer is BLANC, I lived in France as a child, my favorite dessert was Blanc Mange, BLANC is WHite, Mange is "to eat"
The page is Blanc (white)
arturolczykowski   Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:51 am GMT
Try there:

http://forum.wordreference.com/index.php

It is a big Slavic Languages forum.
Andy Moon   Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:00 pm GMT
Looks like latinized Ukrainian to me.
H   Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:37 am GMT
Xenia,
AFAIK Latinka is not a language, just the way of transcribing speech with Latin letters. For instance, about a hundred years ago Belarusian was written in Latinka, not Cyrillic.
I know Ukranian quite well, I've never heard anything like jrazdva, sdvavi, nasztanye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_Latin_alphabet
off - Those who do not know French have to look for the word, don't they? It's not fair.
gigi   Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
are these words an exact copy of those from the old letter of yours? some of them can be guessed out though too little evidense you gave us
ancalot   Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:50 am GMT
why you just don't post a scan?
Laura Braun   Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:36 am GMT
Latinca means the name of a flower, wiat for a while I will find it for you, but we call some peole Latinca.
Laura Braun   Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:37 am GMT
Loris   Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:31 am GMT
How was your great-grandmother called? Perhaps her name could provide clues to her ethnic roots.
Loris   Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:36 am GMT
From the geographic location you provide she was probably Ruthenian, in the good old KuKania
Xenia   Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:54 pm GMT
Thank you all so very much for commenting on my post!!! I just happened to relocate this site just as I was once again going over my grandmother's letter for correct spelling and making sure I deciphered her handwriting properly.(her handwriting is very stylized and fancy) making it difficult to decipher, but going over it for the umteenth time, have compared it to my previous lists and there are only a small amount of words I'm having a hard time trying to decipher.
Here is the first page:

Liszt Pszandna (or puszanudna) 13 (either Janvana or Yanvana)

Mili cokvaszni Pazdnavenye szami jrevsi at milcha jrana baha atak adam nye at Zahavcsak Mavji ata bude jive vasz muj lyubi kumas ne Csolak Mihaly ijiveku matvu ijive vasu famelyi tak javas jrazdva viuju bavszknanye naszta ana tiskvat nazi jack vala milamu jranu bahu zdvara taki zdvave ivam vicsuji jak jaha mam tim csaszami vam muj lyubiku zseszcemi abecalzi (a cut off word) isvasej famelyi

aja csekam (or acsekam) asdasda kanca vaka ausese nye mus dacsekac tichjraltvetav ti kec zsijece tami at juis cejak sevam (tim or tam) vadi cidkakus lye jusi ustat

. . .there are three more pages, is this enough or would more of it help?
Xenia   Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:06 pm GMT
Oh, Her last name (my father said, it was "Pasternak," but on documents I have since obtained from other family members I have found it spelt Pazstirik. Ffrom reading Boris Pasternak's biography , his father Leonard Pasternak the painter, had a "Pazs" and "tiri" form of this name as well before it became Pasternak.
Loris, where is Kukania? May I ask, I am not familiar with this place.
I have thought it was possibly a latinized versin of some east slavic language, as Mr. Moon suggest. You all were so very very helpful!
Once again, thank you ever so much, my cousin and I are just dying to find out what language she is speaking in!!!
anyone know Carpthian-rusyn? Is this what it may be? I hear there are 6 dialects of this language; hustul, bojko, panonian, forgot the rest!
Andy Moon   Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:56 am GMT
KuK = Austria-Hungary
Xenia   Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:39 pm GMT
Just went back to see if anyone wrote back since my last post, what was it, yesterday? Happy New Year to all of you!
I have never heard of KUK standing for Austria-Hungary Andy, I have alot of old official documents (deeds, etc) from the grandparents in the Austrian Hungarian Empire. My grandfather was born in Kusin, his last name is Csolak, his mother is the one who's letter I am trying to translate, decipher into what language she is speaking in.
Alot of the family (my grandfather's grandchildren/me, cousins) and maybe even his children were confused about their heritage because 'they said" austria and Czechoslovakia, I believe they are getting ethinicity confused with nationality. His nationality (where he was born) was Hungarian, but he was not hungarian, he was from Ung county, a place designate what you are, but many people do not understand the difference between ethnicity and nationality. you can be American by nationality, but hispanic by ehtnicity (heritage) =Mexican American or Itallian-american or Irish American.
My father said russian, there 10 children in the family, I am sure when they came to this new country they were no longer concernced about "what they were" because like all the other immigrants that immigrated to America their goal was to become AMERICAN, they were now all Americans, their children no longer had names like Janos, or Miklos, but Steve, Margret, John...etc. their heritage was no longer an issue until their children were born and they began asking themselves, "well, what are we, what are they?" Some heard Austria so assumed Austrian, some heard Czechoslovakia, assumed Czechoslovakian....I have two children and I know one is more interested about the subject than the other one, who could care less, I can imagine how relaying information on family history would be with 10 children, I can't keep track what I tell just two let alone 10~,alot of puzzle pieces that need to be put together, but I am finding that Carpatho-rusyn (russian) appears to be right.
If she IS speaking carpatho-russian, is there a website that gives an example of this language, does anyone know?! What would you do to go about finding it? I have found Latinka and Lacinka websites, russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian are easy to find words and phrases for, but this language, with from my understanding has 6 different dialects sounds like an impossibility! Who would possibly know it?
HELP!
Andy Moon   Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:24 pm GMT