English Speaker wants to find out about Latynka and others

xenia   Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
Thank's so much Andy!!! just got on for a second to check any responses , appreciate the sites; will be back again shortly.
Xenia   Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:39 am GMT
Just a short message for now, reading back over all your helpful posts and thinking how appreciative for all your help- - I am digging around all the places suggested. . . and some. Your suggestions on the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Carpathian/Ruthenian sites, currently I have compiled a list I'm working off of, one is common Belarusian words, one is Polish, the other Ukrainian, Czech, etc. using words like jak, tam, tak,and searching for instances of words that occur in one language but not in the others. This, however, is not working as well as I would hope since these slavic langugages have more in common than one might think! the word ISCE in my letter here is also ISC in Polish and I believe in another one or two languages as well (somewhere in all this paper I've amassed around my desk!!!) but ISCE and ISC either language; means "to go," so I have taken the words from the letter and made them also into a list and am adding these words as I find them, if I find them in more than one language , as mentioned above. For example the word Tam, for "there" is Belarusian, Czech and Polish so I feel safe to assume this word TAM in her letter means this.
However, this is not helping me learn what she is speaking.
I decided to do this, assuming if it is a dialect that is not readily available to me and i believe it may be one of the 6 dialects of Carpathian rusyn or maybe some OLD BELARUSIAN/OLD RUSIAN (just for an example) certain elements woudl be the same? Basing this method on the fact that they hold similarities.
I recently learned, after discovering she has the word KEC in her letter that the ONLY place (I found) it was in Bulgarian and learned that Bulgarian is the oldest and first written slavic language. I have also seen a website that compared Belarusian to ukrainian and Rusian and noted the similarities and non similarities...anyway, if anything this is turning out to be a fascinating (hobby?)!
Liz   Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:57 am GMT
Xenia: KUK is an acronym to denote, well, not really Austro-Hungary itself but rather its army and various institutions. It stands for "kaiserlich und königlich", that is, "that of the emperor and the king". It served the purpose of differentiating common institutions of the Monarchy (that is, common institutions of Austria and Hungary) from solely Austrian or Hungarian ones.

I'm Hungarian by the way, from the Central Transdanubian region. However, my ancestors are from the then Hungarian parts of Transylvania, ex-Jugoslavia and Slovakia.
XENIA   Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:41 pm GMT
ATTENTION EVERYONE WHO MAY BE TRYING TO DECIPHER THIS LETTER, I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY GRANDMOTHER WAS 'RUNNING HER WORDS TOGETHER!" I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! FOR EXAMPLE THE WORD ADAMNEY IS SUPPOSE TO BE ADAM NYE.
AND MANY MORE INSTANCES LIKE THIS, WHY SHE WOULD DO THIS I HAVE NO CLUE, MY COUSIN BELIEVES IT IS BECAUSE SHE WAS TRYING TO WRITE 'SECRETIVLY' TO KEEP THE NAZI'S FROM UNDERSTANDING WHAT SHE WAS WRITING AND ALTHOUGH I DISAGREED AT FIRST, I AM NOW THINKING THERE WOULD BE NO OTHER REASON BUT THIS,
LIZ, DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE HOLOCAUST IN HUNGARY? I WAS BRIEFLY READING SOME INFO LAST NIGHT ON IT, IT APPEARED THAT THE AREA SHE WAS IN ROUNDED UP MANY PEOPLE AND TOOK THEM TO AUSCHWEITZ, NEAR UZHHOROD. THEY WERE FROM MICHALOVCE; BY HUMMENE, IN A TOWN CALLED KUSIN. I HAVE OTHER DOCUMENTS THAT NAME PLACES LIKE NEMECKA PORUBA AN UZHORROD AND MUKACHEV.
AT THIS MOMENT I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING, BUT I AM SURE I WILL HAVE SOME QUESTIONS YOU MAY ANSWER AS SOON AS I COME UP WITH THEM, DO YOU SPEAK HUNGARIAN? KNOW ANY HUNGARIAN RECIPES? I JUST LOVE GOULASH, I FOUND IT IN A RECIPE BOOK AND NOW I MAKE IT QUITE FREQUENTLY- - -YMMm, THE SOUR CREAM!!!
Liz   Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:41 pm GMT
Xenia,

I know some things about Holocaust in Hungary but I don't know what exactly you are curious about. Do you mean the deeds carried out specifically in Hungary or Hungarians taken to Auschwietz? It is important to know that not only Jews but Gypsies and communists were involved, too. The Jewish question has been discussed ad nauseam everywhere, from history books to the popular media. Of course, 'ad nauseam' is not the best word to use in this context, since you cannot and must not get enough of discussing this really important topic. However, the case of gypsies and opponents of the Nazi regime is sadly overlooked most of the time.

Yes, I do speak Hungarian - that's my mother tongue, that's what I use at home.

I'm not much of a cook yet, but I know some Hungarian recipes. Which one would you like me to share with you? Besides, you can check out some (or probably most) of the most famous Hungarian recipes on the internet. We (my family) are vegetarians and although my mum is an excellent cook, you wouldn't characterise her way of cooking as typically Hungarian cuisine. It might be described as something individualistic, probably international with Hungarian influences, of course.

You mean goulash or goulash soup? We call the former "pörkölt" and the latter "gulyásleves" (=gulash). Funnily enough, foreigners are apt to call "pörkölt" gulash and "gulyásleves" gulash soup (which is the verbatim translation of "gulyásleves" - well, not exactly verbatim...as "gulyás" means something like "cowboy" in Hungarian, you know, the bloke who takes care of the cattle", so "gulyásleves" sounds like as if it was made of cowboys or the like, which makes it sound a wee bit cannibalistic. Fortunately, most people don't think of this meaning regularly. :-)).)
Xenia   Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:48 am GMT
So nice you wrote back Liz, sorry I have not checked this site back recently and you gave up on me returning....things came up, you know how that goes and just recently found I am going to be a grandma, again! Yippee! (?) Now i will have 5 grandchildren, under the age of 3 yrs old!!! when it rains it pours in this family.
I have read some things on the holocaust in Hungary, actually, I found a website, Google book site that showed how many people were deported to Auschzwietz fromvery very close!!! to the area that my great-grandmother, the writer of this letter was from!
In her letter she mentions nazi's. I am of the belief she may have been Jewish convert posSibly, as the family was greek orthodox and alot of the people with her name seem to be jewish- -which would not have been a good thing, convert or not! I"m sure you would agree.
In her letter, I found the word csekam, I believe this is a Hungarian word meaning Blank Check? At least this is the interpretation of the word on a translator I found and used on the Internet.
I have found some of the letters words definitions by going between Russian, Polish, Czech, Ukrainina, Belarussian as they have similar words for the same things; jak, tak, jaha, jim, tim, and such
then soem words I am finding in Russian while others I am finding "sound hungarian" like Csekam and that's why I tried translating it from Hungarian instead of these other languages- - -does this make sense? Because some of her words definitely seem to be of an Eastern Slavic (rus, Ukrainina, Belarusian, maybe carpathian rusyn)
Baha came to mean "cannon" and was followed by the word "atak" (attack) with adam (word for hell in russian, not exactly sure) then; nye at Zahavcsak Mavji - -which is in Capitilized letters, I'm assuming it is a place.
the begining of the letter is Liszt, but I found that LISZT is the hungarian "Z's" she is putting with "S's" and that is what is making it difFicult to translate her letter, she puts "z's" that don't belong and runs words together! List it turned out could mean letter, the word Pus zanuda was together in one word but I found zanuda could mean (boring) as if she was saying "boring letter" which actually wasn't.
This is followed by Janvara or Janvana and I have found only russian uses Janvara for January. Then goes on to say MILI, Dear one, sweetheart. .
So I'm getting little bits and pieces, but it is very time consuming!
I also have documents from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, my grandfather's will (I just now discovered this is what it was!)
Words like IDEZES, etc. I managed to finally translate a few of the titles.
I had in the past tried to use a translator to make out what the deed said, it was laid out just as any other legal transfer of property.
My grandparents were from the N.E. corner of Slovakia, he was born in Kusin but I have documents with other cities; Uzhhorod, Muckachev, Nemecka Poruba, etc.

I would love to know more about the Holocaust in Hungary, (only recently learned of it in this location!) if you know of any good websites I would appreciate it or if you personally know of any history of it, I would love to know anything!
Oh, I just happened to be (once again) looking up how to translate this letter of hers so I have it right here--szami sounds like a Hungarian word, is it? Here are some words, might be Hungarian, I'm going by the fact that the word csekam was..
jevsi, kumas pazdvavenye?
nazta, although that could be her putting a z in it,
sdave, tiskvat, kvescenaha, jiscemi, bases, cana, aj mi, endija, bavun, zsevam, jiszav, ta sema, csivna, cila, vidnaju nyi , fuvt?
Any of these hungarian?
I found endija to mean India as in woman from India? maha endija.
she uses av, jamu,
I found the word vanu is bath or bathtub in many slavic languages.

I am worndering if she might not possibly be speaking a combination of two? Think that's possible?

Oh, one of the documents has a seal says Bradac Guyla? I think that's the way it is spelt, I'd have to look at it again.