Daijisen VS Nihongodaijiten

Chinese   Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:13 am GMT
Which is better Japanese paper dictionary between these two?

1,『大辞泉(だいじせん)』:『小学館』が発行した国語辞典である。

2,『日本語大辞典(にほんごだいじてん)』:『講談社』が発行した国語辞典である。
Chinese   Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:16 am GMT
User   Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:18 am GMT
I think that Daijisen is better, but I like Daijirin better than either of them.
Guest   Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:34 am GMT
This looks like Dutch.
J.C.   Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:27 pm GMT
Do you know any links that show the contents of the dictionary?
As far as I know many Japanese like to use the KOUJIEN:

http://www.iwanami.co.jp/moreinfo/0801210/

Either way, using a dictionary is something totally arbitrary and a dictionary that is useful for me might be not so good for you.
When I was still learning Japanese I used to have a dictionary called 「現代国語例解辞典」:http://www.amazon.co.jp/現代国語例解辞典-林-巨樹/dp/4095010339
This is a very concise dictionary and has tons of examples, which help understanding better the definitions.

Good luck!!
K. T.   Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:33 pm GMT
Yes, I think Japanese people like the Koujien.
Chinese   Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:40 am GMT
Koujien(広辞苑) inclines to emphasize particularly on ancient Japanese, while Daijisen(大辞泉), Daijirin(大辞林), Nihongodaijiten(日本語大辞典), all tend to pay more attention to modern Japanese usage, so I guess that, maybe Koujien(広辞苑) wouldn't be the best choice for those who're not experts in Japanese language and culture, and who're only in intermediate level. And incidentally, Daijisen(大辞泉) and Nihongodaijiten(日本語大辞典) are both color printing, while Koujien(広辞苑) and Daijirin(大辞林) are only black and white. So I'd like to choose better one between 2 color dictionaries, such as 大辞泉 and 日本語大辞典. Thanks!
Chinese   Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:47 am GMT
Daijirin(大辞林) VS Daijisen(大辞泉)

Compare their two respective definitions of hyōsetsu (剽窃 "plagiarize").
(From WIKI)

* Daijirin: 他人の作品・学説などを自分のものとして発表すること。"To take another person's works, theory, etc. and publish it as one's own.

* Daijisen: 他人の作品や論文を盗んで、自分のものとして発表すること。"To steal another person's works or writing and publish it as one's own."

The Daijisen is not wholly derivative of the Daijirin and has some notable differences. Daijisen improvements include visually appealing designs, more contemporary usage examples, and some helpful layout features. For instance, special columns indicate usage notes for topics including synonyms, suffixes, and even uncommon kanji pronunciations (nanori 名のり "special readings for names" and nandoku 難読 "difficult to read").(From WIKI)
Propaganda Bottle   Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:58 am GMT
Omae wa nani ga hoshi ka da na? Omae wa, bukakke ga hoshi no ka? Ore wa bukakke ga dai suki da yo ne! Shikashi, korosu no koto ga ii na no ne... Demo, ore wa nihongo ga dai kirai da na... Dakara, nihongo de hanasanai da na.
J.C.   Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:06 am GMT
I was just wondering if you really have to use these brick-like thick dictionaries when there are versions that are easier to use in addition to online dictionaries such as www.alc.co.jp and Daijirin online at http://www.excite.co.jp/dictionary/japanese/

I also strongly suggest the dictionary I presented because it can also be used as a kanji dictionary.

Cheers!!
Chinese   Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:59 am GMT
What about 『新明解国語辞典』(しんめいかいこくごじてん)? Mr. J.C.
Chinese   Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:00 am GMT
Caspian   Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:20 pm GMT
<< This looks like Dutch. >>

It does! I thought that the title was in Dutch when I clicked on this thread.
K. T.   Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:44 pm GMT
Really? "Nihongo" means "Japanese". I guess the first word could have thrown you off.

J.C.   Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:45 pm GMT
To Chinese:
First of all, there's no need to call mr Mr. J.C!! :) I'm still 35 and feel as though as I was 20. 小J.C is fine with me.

As for the dictionary, it is quite similar to 「現代国語例解辞典」but is said to be the best seller in Japan and has also many advantages such as the accents for words and kanji dictionary. However, for really difficult words the Koujien seems to be the best and I confirmed that with my wife. However, dictionary is like clothes because some fit us and others don't so please make sure to take a look at all dictionaries and see what works best for you!!

加油!!