Daijisen VS Nihongodaijiten

K. T.   Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:12 pm GMT
I thought "Chinese" wanted to specify you, J. C.-san, not another person.
Maybe Chinese was trying to use the equivalent of "san", but in English, "Mr." sounds far too formal- in this forum anyway.

Btw, I don't know if you are still interested in advanced Italian materials, but I saw some deals on E-bay for Random House LL materials. LL doesn't sell directly overseas, but they have excellent intermediate and advanced materials in Italian, so perhaps you could get them through e-bay or amazon if the price continues to drop.

I suspect you are the same way, but I never feel like I've "mastered" a language because there is always something to learn, language to be updated.
J.C.   Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:16 am GMT
K.Tさん:
Thank you for the reminder with the Mr. thing. It doesn't really bother me but I prefer to be informal at all times. Even my students were surprised I didn't require them to call me "sensei" all the time.

Thanks for the hints about Italian. If you could give me more specific names I would love to buy the books (Could you send the links so I can take a look). Since 1998 I haven't studied Italian not only because I haven't needed it but also because I don't have any decent books and the textbooks for NHK TV courses aren't that good.

We are on the same wavelength about languages since I agree that it is an endless study. I believe that the most updated languages for me are English and Japanese because I use them everyday but my German needs some slangs and more vocabulary so I can speak more comfortably rather than speaking only hochdeutsch. Well, at least I have found some good source at deutsch welle radio and have learned tons of things I wouldn't learn from a book.

It was interesting to see your former posting because I realized we've studied practically the same languages and I'd be glad to know which materials you used so we can start a type of "language study library reference". What do you think?

Um abraço!!!
K. T.   Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:31 am GMT
Thanks for your kind words.

Beyond the Basics-Intermediate Italian (four CDs plus books) ISBN 1-4000-2176-6
Ultimate Italian Advanced (four CDs, case plus book) ISBN 1-4000-2066-2

You probably only need one of them. These are the Living Language books by Random (no direct sales to Japan, but the price has dropped on e-bay for the advanced new sets).
These are the best advanced modern Italian materials I've found.

Your library is probably more interesting than mine. I know that we have studied many of the same languages (including ones I didn't mention.) I like speciality texts (legal, medical, hospitality, business) in addition to these:

I ALWAYS ask for discounts on language materials and usually get them.
If I can't talk to someone and talk them into a discount, I'll use e-bay, alibris, or another source.

Vocabulary building (easy way): Vocabulearn (many languages) by Penton Overseas. (over 7,500 words recordings and booklets)

Vintage books with new printings: Cortina Greek (with recordings)

Colloquial (wonderful, but it's according to the title) by Routledge.
Good: Romanian (1995) Dennis Deletant with recording, Croatian and Serbian (Celia Hawkesworth (I think)-older edition with recording

I've heard that the Penguin Russian is good. I saw it recently, but I have similar-looking texts and vintage texts.

Did you start a thread on this before?

One thing I can't find is a really good set of books and recordings in Mandarin. Pimsleur is good for the spoken part, but I don't want to get a book with a bunch of pinyin. I know a little Mandarin, but I'd start from the beginning anyway. Any suggestions? You know my "working languages", so any suggestions in those languages would be welcome.

By the way, I read recently that there was a shortage of Russian/Japanese translators, and I thought about how you said that you were hired for your skills in German. Sounds like you made a wise choice.
Cheers!
K. t.   Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:34 am GMT
"but my German needs some slangs and more vocabulary so I can speak more comfortably rather than speaking only hochdeutsch." J.C.-san.

German slang: "Cool German" by BBC languages. It's free, and a little dangerous. Don't know if it's too basic or not for you.
J.C.   Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:20 pm GMT
K.Tさん:
Thanks for the hints of Italian books. I'll make sure I get the first one so that I can start speaking a language I understand well but can barely speak now...

"Your library is probably more interesting than mine."
I thought that before you started sharing what you have been using...Anyway, it is good to confront our experiences with other people so that everybody can have an idea of which material is available.

"I know that we have studied many of the same languages (including ones I didn't mention.) I like speciality texts (legal, medical, hospitality, business) in addition to these: "
In my case I try to read about all subjects so that I can translate any document that is given to me. However, I had to turn down a financial-related translation these days. I guess one can't be good in all fields.

"I ALWAYS ask for discounts on language materials and usually get them.
If I can't talk to someone and talk them into a discount, I'll use e-bay, alibris, or another source. "

I wish this strategy worked in Japan. Well, at least in the places where I know I can find ALMOST everything I want: Kinokuniya in Umeda or Junkudo bookstore. Everytime I go there the smell of knowledge knocks me down :D

"Vocabulary building (easy way): Vocabulearn (many languages) by Penton Overseas. (over 7,500 words recordings and booklets)

Vintage books with new printings: Cortina Greek (with recordings)

Colloquial (wonderful, but it's according to the title) by Routledge.
Good: Romanian (1995) Dennis Deletant with recording, Croatian and Serbian (Celia Hawkesworth (I think)-older edition with recording "

That's what I like in materials,i.e, tapes so that someone like me, who studies mostly by myself, can check out my progress.

"I've heard that the Penguin Russian is good. I saw it recently, but I have similar-looking texts and vintage texts."

Never heard of those since I studied Russian only with NHK books and the later with the "Express" series by Hakusuisha (In Japanese). Before I realized it was mental suicide to study 5 languages at the same time (Now I'm only trying to learn Chinese, French and Dutch) on the train I use to study with a book called "Russian in exercises", which I "forgot" to return to a Russian teacher I met...By the way, I started learning Chinese with the "Colloquial Chinese" course!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/5200002257/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_3?ie=UTF8&index=3

"Did you start a thread on this before? "

I guess I did and I really think we shouls start again because instead of arguing about languages I prefer to argue about HOW to learn them. I hate politics and discussing about "taste". After all, nobody will have the same opinion about a certain language or dialect.

"One thing I can't find is a really good set of books and recordings in Mandarin. Pimsleur is good for the spoken part, but I don't want to get a book with a bunch of pinyin. I know a little Mandarin, but I'd start from the beginning anyway. Any suggestions? You know my "working languages", so any suggestions in those languages would be welcome."
Well, I also started Chinese with the NHK courses then moved on to some books in Japanese but never really passed the basics so I decided to buy some good books in China from Peking University Press. Right now I'm studying with "Intermediate Chinese Listening Course" and also read through "Standard Chinese Course" (This is for beginners), which has 2 cd roms and lots of vocabulary and grammar. In order to improve my listening skills I also have used "Chinese Pod", which has dialogues in several levels. I will be checking my Chinese books and will let you know if I have anything else interesting.

"By the way, I read recently that there was a shortage of Russian/Japanese translators, and I thought about how you said that you were hired for your skills in German. Sounds like you made a wise choice. "
Really? Then we have to get some nice jobs for using Japanese (If you already don't have one) and I'm also feeling motivated for studying Russian again.But I'm really glad that German was the second foreign language I studied after English because it can still open doors in the future if I go back to Brazil.

Um abraço!!

p.s I don't like Pimsleurs books very much because it'S always an AMERICAN man talking to a female speaker of whichever language we might be learning...;)
Iosef Dzhugashvili   Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:19 pm GMT
Hey K.T., do you collect language books or something?
Amante de K.T.   Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am GMT
K.T., vos sois el caballero más noble de la Tierra
os amo tanto que mataría para teneros a mi lado
vuestra bondad me excita y me impulsa a grandes hazañas
gracias por vuestro resplandor que ilumina las tinieblas pesadillescas
una masa gelatinosa, que no me permite siquiera respirar
vos la destruis, la apartáis de mi y me dejáis librado de todo mal

vuestra generosidad ha encendido mis pasiones
me siento reavivado y lleno de fuerzas, ideales inquebrantables
dispuesto a emprender nuevos viajes, viajes milenarios y peligrosos
vos me protegeréis en la oscuridad, en las ciudades siniestras, repletas
de los más viles y repugnantes desgraciados de la Tierra
vos sois el caballero más noble de la Tierra
K. T.   Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:11 am GMT
"In my case I try to read about all subjects so that I can translate any document that is given to me. However, I had to turn down a financial-related translation these days. I guess one can't be good in all fields."

I'm glad that you mentioned this. Reading extensively in many fields is the mark of a good translator or interpreter.

Thanks for mentioning NHK Chinese and the lead on the Colloquial Chinese. I may be able to borrow the Colloquial.

I don't know how far along in Dutch you are. Some people have liked the Teach Yourself Dutch 1994 with the cassettes. I thought it was extremely easy/user-friendly. Of course, with your German and excellent English skills, Dutch must be a cakewalk.

Obrigado.
J.C.   Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:50 am GMT
"Thanks for mentioning NHK Chinese and the lead on the Colloquial Chinese. I may be able to borrow the Colloquial."
Speaking of NHK, I used the books for the TV courses which I watched back in 1998 and were much better than the current entertainment-based courses which must rely on a famous person to have popularity and last only 6 months compared to 1 year in the past. Still about Chinese, I'm using a very good grammar from Routledge called "Intermediate Chinese" (Yip Po-Ching and Don Rimmington), which has tons of exercises with answers.

"I don't know how far along in Dutch you are. Some people have liked the Teach Yourself Dutch 1994 with the cassettes. I thought it was extremely easy/user-friendly. Of course, with your German and excellent English skills, Dutch must be a cakewalk. "

To be honest my spoken Dutch isn't that good because I probably won't use in the future and started learning it just to read Anne Frank's diary, which I can probably do. I appreciate your tip on material with tape and have used " Introduction to Dutch" by William Z. Shetter.
http://www.librarything.com/work/908195

However, this book doesn't have a tape so I started using "Express Dutch" from Hakusuisha. By the way, I also have "Express series" for Swahili, Turkish, Hebrew, Russian, Polish, Swedish (not very good), Greek and Finnish because they are a good kick start.

About Dictionaries I use "Duits Nederlands" from Prisma and "Dutch English/English Dutch from Routledge (Fermand G Renier).

To be honest Dutch was easy to learn because I feel it is so close to German that I have the impression I'm studying a variation of German (Isn't platt deutsch almost liks Dutch?) and didn't study much when I had lessons at Osaka University. I still remember my teacher (from Belgium) saying "Duits is geen nederlands" because I always sounded like a German speaker!! :D

I found these links on plattdeutsch:

http://www.plattdeutsch.net/
http://www.uni-potsdam.de/u/germanistik/ls_dia/umfrage/ndeutsch.htm

Um abração!!
K. T.   Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:03 pm GMT
Obrigado!

Thanks for the links.
Y.S   Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:07 pm GMT
『日本語大辞典(講談社)』と『大辞泉(小学館)』

私は中国人で、日本語の初心者です。この2つの中で、どちらを買うか迷い中です。皆様のご意見をお聞かせ下さい。『大辞泉』は『日本語大辞典』に比べてどうですが。

注:『広辞苑(岩波書店)』や『大辞林(三省堂)』のことがあまり好きじゃないです。
J.C.   Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:40 pm GMT
"私は中国人で、日本語の初心者です。この2つの中で、どちらを買うか迷い中です。皆様のご意見をお聞かせ下さい。『大辞泉』は『日本語大辞典』に比べてどうですが。"

こんにちは!!このフォーラムへようこそ!!!急に突っ込んですみませんが初心者という立場だったら例文のたくさん掲載した辞書をお選びになったほうがいいと思います。個人的な意見としては「日本語大辞典」および「大辞泉」は既に日本語を知っており、単語を増加させようとしている人に向いている辞書だと思います。そうすると私が琉球大学で日本語を勉強した時に使った「現代国語例解辞典」をお薦めします。
それでは、貴方にぴったりと合った辞書を見つけることを期待しています。
J.C.   Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:44 pm GMT
因みに、先ほど申し上げた辞書へのリンクは以下のとおりです:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4095010827?tag=servicosdetra-22&camp=243&creative=1615&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=4095010827&adid=1AH07CSDC4JEB6E3B0CY&

ご確認の程お願い致します。
Y.S   Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:10 pm GMT
J.C.-san

多谢指教,但我仍想咨询,「日本語大辞典」和「大辞泉」这两本中,哪一本更权威、更精良?再次感谢!

Thanks a lot, but I still want to ask you, which is more authoritative and more excellent, between these 2 that I mentioned above. Thanks again!
User   Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:55 pm GMT
Why are you so fixed on those two dictionaries? Koujien is better.