FRom what ITALIAN reggione is this...?

Guest   Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:22 pm GMT
<<True. Excepting phonetics, the more similar language to Italian is French.>>

If phonetics are not similar mutual intelligibility becomes close to zero. Catalan is much more similar to Italian than French.
abobora   Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:16 pm GMT
"Catalan is much more similar to Italian than French".

Probably it is but in my opinion Catalan sounds harsher than Italian and the intonation is quite different
ok   Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 pm GMT
"Catalan is much more similar to Italian than French".

Catalan is a mixture of French and Spanish with lots of loans from Castillian. Spanish has also influenced Catalan pronounciation a lot. Some phonological and grammar features seem to be iberian.
laurent blanc   Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:52 pm GMT
"Catalan is a mixture of French and Spanish with lots of loans from Castillian. Spanish has also influenced Catalan pronounciation a lot. Some phonological and grammar features seem to be iberian."

this is stupid
roka   Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:25 pm GMT
Well When I listen to a catalan radio the accent and the general intonation of the language sounds like Castillian.
Guest   Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:16 pm GMT
No, Catalan is related to Occitan. Occitan is a class on its own and not a mixture of French and other languages. It's French that is a mixture of Germanic , Latin and God knows what else.Not only Catalan but Occitan is closer to Italian than French.
roka   Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:11 pm GMT
Not only Catalan but Occitan is closer to Italian than French.

This is partly true Occitan and catalan are closer to northern Italian dialects (they all belong to Gallo romance languages along with French) but not Toscan, from which modern Italian comes.
Guest   Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:54 pm GMT
Catalan belongs to Ibero Romance, not Gallo Romance.
lluis   Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:22 pm GMT
Modern Catalan is a mixture between Ibero Romance and galloromance languages
Ranino   Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:04 am GMT
Central Italy
purist   Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:55 pm GMT
"central Italy"

not at all. I'd say Italian standard. By the way only in central of Italy vowels are generally pronounced as in standard Italian.