Are you becoming more British?

Eidurn   Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 pm GMT
I am not british i am welsh.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:38 pm GMT
***just wondered if his excessively strong views and hatred of all things (though I'm sure most of it's an act) is a common type of humor amongst the Scottish.***

In a nutshell, Rene - it is all part of his act! In reality, Frankie Boyle isn't as misanthropic as he likes to make himself out to be.....it is a trend among many Scottish comedians....sounding off about anything and everything and anyone and everyone. Billy Connolly, also from Glasgow, is another bloke who is of the same school, but he is a ot older than Frankie.

**I love his accent by the way! **

He'll be well chuffed to hear you say that. It's Glaswegian, but not quite as harsh as the accents of many other Glaswegians - it all depends on factors such as background, education and state of sobriety. :-) He probably comes from Bearsden.... ;-)

Vera - it's never too lateto read about the global popularity of our national bard Rabbie (or Robbie as you know him). Good to know he was popular in Russia - no doubt he still is. I hope they sing the words of Auld Land Syne correctly, and thanks for the interesting link.
Jago   Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:44 pm GMT
>>I am not british i am welsh.<<

You can't avoid being British. Britain refers to a geographical area and has no political meaning until you give it the prefix "Great".
We are all British on these Islands, even the Republic of Ireland is British (despite that offending most S.Irish people).
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:47 pm GMT
As this is the British thread let's indulge ourselves a wee bit more...

OK...we are all part of the British scene but at the same time we all jealously guard our individual national identities within it....we Scots for Scotland, the English for England, the Welsh for Wales andthe Northern Irish for Northern Ireland. Come danger's hour we would all defend each other to the death - for goodness sake we are fighting side by side with each other so very far from home out there in the Godawful stinking, shitty barren desert hellholes of Iraq and Afghanistan but that doesn't mean we don't take almighty swipes at each at the same time just as happens in practically every single family unit in the land.

I live in a western suburb of Edinburgh, and my family home is just two and a half miles away from Murrayfield stadium, which is featured in the YT clip below - Scotland was playing against Wales a week ago and I happened to be among the crowd as I am passionate about rugby.

The fans are always terrific at Murrayfield, and the Scots respected the Welsh and vice versa, and the crowd from each side did their best to join in the singing of the national anthem of the other.....especially difficult for us - the Scots - as the Welsh national anthem is sung entirely in Welsh - Hen Wlad fy'n Nhadau (Land of My Fathers) and the Welsh don't know the words (in English of course) of our sporting anthem - O Flower of Scotland, when will we see your likes again - that fought and died for, your wee bit hill and glen...."

It was (BLEEPING) furrr-eeezing cold that day so we had to sing loud and clear to try and warm up a wee bit....and a snowstorm blew up after the game so it was good it held off until it was all over.

Unity indeed - but in this particular case all the fans belonged to the same band of Celtic brotherhood! ;-) I adore the Welsh fans....always great guys! ....and the English can be (quite) nice too....most of the time... ;-) Bless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkS2fA4CQM&feature=related
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:07 pm GMT
Scotland (English words only - we are monoglots!)

O Flower of Scotland
When will we see your like again -
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen
That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him hameward
Tae think again

Those days are past now
And in the past
They must remain
But we shall still rise now
And be the nation again
That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him hameward
Tae think again

Wales (Welsh words with English translation beneath - they are bilingual):

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn anwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol rhyfelwyr, gwlad garwyr tra mad,
Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.
Chorus:
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
Tra mor yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.
-------------------------------------

O land of my fathers O land of my love
Dear mother of minstrels who kindle and move
And hero on hero who at honours proud call
For freedom their lifeblood let fall
Wales Wales oh but my heart is with you
As long as the sea,
Your bulwark shall be
To Cymru my heart shall be true.
Jago   Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:24 pm GMT
Despite the fact that we can't compete as a national team in all but the rarest competitions, Cornwall can still keep up with the other nations when it comes to rugby! I remember going to see them play at Twickenham as a lad, it was a 50,000 strong Cornish crowd to 10,000 English. A sea of black and white St. Pirans flags covered the majority of the stands. The sound was booming, the Cornish national anthem was sung in Cornish and English and it must've equalled the sound of a few 747 jets during take-off. I can't even remember a break in the singing throughout the whole match and for drinks afterwards.
That was my first taste of Rugby!

Trelawny (Cornish National Anthem)

Gans cledha da yn dorn yu lei
Gwyr, lowen an golon
Yth aswon Myghtern Jamys fel
Pandr' wrello Kernewon
Yu ordnys Ie ha prys ancow?
Trelawny dos dh'y fyn?
Mes ugans myl an dus Kernow
Gothfos an praga 'vyn
A vew Trelawny bras?
'Verow Trelawny bras?
Otomma ugans myl Kernow
A woffyth oil an cos

Yn meth an Capten, bew y wos
Gwas jolyf yn mysk cans
Tour Loundres kyn fe Carrek Los
Y'n dylerfsen dewhans
Ny a dres Tamar, tyr dhe dyr
By 'ny vyth Havren let
Ha scoth ryp scoth, cowetha gwyr
Pyu orthyn-ny a set?

Devedhys bys yn Fos Loundres
Gwel dek dhyn, ny a gry
Deugh mes, ownegyon oil, deugh mes
Gwell on. agesough-why
Trelawny yu avel felon
Fast yn cargharow tyn
Mes ugans myl a Gernewon
Gothfos an ken a vyn

And in English

A good sword and a trusty hand
A merry heart and true
King James's men shall understand
What Cornish men can do
And have they fixed the where and when?
And shall Trelawny die?
Here's twenty thousand Cornishmen
Will know the reason why
And shall Trelawny live?
Or shall Trelawny die?
Here's twenty thousand Cornishmen
Will know the reason why

Out spake the captain brave and bold
A merry wight was he
Though London Tower were Michael's hold
We'll set Trelawny free
We'll cross the Tamar, land to land
The Severn is no stay
Then one and all and hand in hand
And who shall bid us nay?

And when we come to London wall
A pleasant sight to view
Come forth, come forth, ye cowards all
Here are better men than you
Trelawny he's in keep in hold
Trelawny he may die
But twenty thousand Cornish bold
Will know the reason why
Amabo   Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:28 pm GMT
"i am not british i am welsh."

"You can't avoid being British. Britain refers to a geographical area and has no political meaning until you give it the prefix 'Great'."

You are both mistaken:

1. If you are a citizen of the UK, it doesn't matter wheyher you're Welsh, Scottish, Irish, English or Maori for that matter. You're British whether you like it or not!

2. The "Great" in "Great Britain" has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with geography. You can thank the French. Great Britain is "Grande Bretagne" to differentiate it from the other "Bretagne" - Brittany.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:20 am GMT
The "Great" in Great Britain - the official title for the island of Scotland, England and Wales (but not including Northern Ireland, of course) IS indeed nothing to do with politics or power or influence or long lost days of Empire...nothing of the sort.

It simply distinguishes the original Roman name of Britannia (Bretagne in French) - the physically largest entity - from the much smaller Bretagne (or Brittany - the region of NW France - just across the choppy waters of La Manche (or the English Channel as we call it on this side) . Note the spelling differences between Britannia and Brittany - many people tend to mux them ip.

Having been to both Kernow (Cornwall in English) and Brittany I can say that the two are so similar in many ways...landscape and coastline, although the Cornish coastline is infinitely the most spectacular for its myriad of wee coves and harbours and cliffs and beaches and villages with really pleasant pubs with great atmosphere...very vital.

The major differences, of course, are Language (English/French but with Breton, as with Cornish, still part of the respective cultures in spite of both being very much minority tongues among the populace).... and, of course, the rules of the road for driving.

Thanks for the link about the Cornish "Trelawny" Anthem, Jago. It's so easy to spot the similarities between Welsh and Cornish, isn't it? Many words are identical and mean the same thing....as with Breton...all part of the Celtic Brotherhood....great! Long may it last.

My mate and I did feel as if we had entered a different country once we had crossed the mighty (as described in the link below) Tamar Bridge and landed in Saltash, firsat town in Kernow...it wasn't long before we saw the first St Piran flags fluttering in the balmy Cornish breeze.

I reckon there is a fair amount of hyperbole in the folowing link with a group of hearty Trelawny lads signing the praise of Kernow and its very clear independent character! That is undeniable. I like the reference to all those emmets streaming endlessly into Cornwall virtually all the year round...your nice mild climate really is a magnet......the guys mimic them with a wee bit of a "posh" RP English English accent. Does that mean we Scots and our Welsh cousins could never be classified as emmets? Does it apply to anyone who is not a native born Kernow person?

Sorry, Jago...but I must say this....without all those emmets the Cornish economy would turn to dust and ashes wouldn't it? They are pretty much the life blood of Kernow are they not? ;-) Maybe they could elect to leave their caravans at home though...we have the same problem with those up here...caravans and winding, narrow, traffic choked country lanes are not a good combination.

Trelawny...it can hardly be more Cornish can it? Again..a Welsh link there, too...Treorchy comes to mind here....a town in South Wales I think the "tre" bit, in both Cornish and Welsh, means a town.....or so my good Welsh mate in Anglesey tells me (Sir Fon...in North Wales...pronouned as "Seer Vawn" - rolling the "r") .

I like the Cornish/English lexicon in the link! Cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nN9I_7djgo
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:34 am GMT
I also like the reference to scrumpy.....I love it.....very strong cider, and cider is moslty produced in the south west of England "where the zoider apples grow".

Although both are Scots one set of my grandparents now live down in Herefordshire, England - which borders onto Wales, and it is right in the heart of cider country and scrumpy is well popular. So strong it corrodes your gullet on the way down and puts hairs on your chest...well, only if you're male.
AJC   Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:38 am GMT
For God's sake: the Cornwall Rugby team is a County side. They don't play against England, they play against other counties. Things aren't the case just because you'd like them to be.
Jago   Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:47 pm GMT
>>For God's sake: the Cornwall Rugby team is a County side. They don't play against England, they play against other counties. Things aren't the case just because you'd like them to be. <<

If you had read my post you'd see that I recognise and lament this case.
When Cornwall do play at Twickenham it is as if you're watching a national!

>>Sorry, Jago...but I must say this....without all those emmets the Cornish economy would turn to dust and ashes wouldn't it? They are pretty much the life blood of Kernow are they not? ;-) Maybe they could elect to leave their caravans at home though...we have the same problem with those up here...caravans and winding, narrow, traffic choked country lanes are not a good combination. <<

To be honest we don't have as many gripes with the emmets as comes across. We have very small roads that we are accustomed to driving down at high speeds. another Cornish driver comes the other way we'll both pass happily, at 50mph, with little more than 6 inches either side. This works for most of the year..... Until the emmets arrive with their 10mph speed limits and thir concept that no-one could possibly live here and need to get to work! Thy love to give sheep a 9 foot clearance zone (you can pretty much clip the sheep with your car and it wont move) causing drivers on the otherside to ditch thir cars in the heather... All in all we love the tourists, they are our livelyhood and we are just happy that they have no idea where the best beaches are! Our revenge comes in the form of a nationwide joke.. "How do you get polperro/pednvounder/lansallos?", The answer is always North ;-).

Last year I was standing outside the bakery in Trago (Im sure you must have visited this enormous emporium-of-tat on your travels) when two very loud scouse women turned up. The first had got to the counter at the end of the queue and promptly shouted to her friend "Shaz! they don't have real pasty's here like those Ginsters ones back home!", to which a dozen big Cornishmen suddenly stopped and glared!
I like to refer to Ginsters "pastys" as 'Sh1t in a tissue'. Having worked in the factory I can confirm the accuracy of that name!

>>Does that mean we Scots and our Welsh cousins could never be classified as emmets? Does it apply to anyone who is not a native born Kernow person?<<

Ahh, there's a bit of a 'nod and wink' when it comes to other celts. The Welsh have long stood on our side with concern to our history and want of restored government, I guess it's fresh in their minds after having been through exactly the same crap in the last 40 years.
AJC   Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:52 pm GMT
<<If you had read my post you'd see that I recognise and lament this case.
When Cornwall do play at Twickenham it is as if you're watching a national!>>

It is for you; where you go wrong is in imagining your fantasy is indulged by everybody else. That isn't the England team that Cornwall are playing and it's not "the English" that's supporting them.
Jago   Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:21 pm GMT
>>It is for you; where you go wrong is in imagining your fantasy is indulged by everybody else. That isn't the England team that Cornwall are playing and it's not "the English" that's supporting them.<<

I'm intruiged by the anger produced by armchair opinionists when the Cornish situation comes up. I'm sure Wales had the same tired busy-bodying happen to them between the 60's and 1998. Difference is that Wales was a lot less constitutionaly secure back thn than Cornwall is now, yet the English (and yes it is mainly the English) decide that despite the wealth of information and legal and royal documents pertaining to Cornwall's constitutional status that they know best because their un-researched opinions tell them that they are right.
Have you ever been to see Cornwall at Twickenham? What makes you think you have the right to tell me and other Cornsih people that we are wrong just because you're insecure about the state of your own nation?

50,000 strong crowd, singing the accepted Cornish anthem in Cornish and English throughout the whole game and much of the drinks afterwards, a sea of st Cornish flags and an English county side with 10,000 strong, turning up for a "normal" match, completely overwhelmed by the support from the otherside. Please stop trying to nforce your opinions on me, it gets tiring and it's getting a tad cliche.

More-over, this is a language forum and if you want to vent towards the Cornish because of your own national insecurities then please search for one of the many popular Cornish forums on the internet. If you want a link I shall give you one but I didn't want to be accused of providing a biased POV.
AJC   Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:44 pm GMT
What on *earth* gives you the impression that I am either angry or interested in nationalism in any form? You brought the issue up, all I am concerned is that you do not mistake your own enthusiam for the subject with the opinions of anybody else. I couldn't give a hoot about either Cornwall or England - you seem to think it *has* to be one or the other.
Jago   Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:02 pm GMT
>>What on *earth* gives you the impression that I am either angry or interested in nationalism in any form? You brought the issue up, all I am concerned is that you do not mistake your own enthusiam for the subject with the opinions of anybody else. I couldn't give a hoot about either Cornwall or England - you seem to think it *has* to be one or the other.<<

You assume a lot! You obviously could give a "hoot" otherwise the fist post would have contained vague, but polite curiosity rather than rude, opinion fuelled anger.

I do not mistake my own enthusiasm for the majority of th Cornish populus.
It's both evident as you step foot in the Duchy for the plethora of Black and white flags and lack of Red and White, the growing number of dual language signs and the sheer numbers of black and white flags on bumper stickers and boot lids. On top of that the 2001 census indicates a 37,000 strong group of people who consider themselves Cornish and not English and a 55% majority (MORI - 2003) who wish to see the Duchy devolved into an assembly structure, akin to Wales.

Now, as I've said, this is a language forum.. Granted, Damian and I have been talking about the quirks, countryside and anecdotes from our home nations. I find his 'tales from Scotland' very interesting, especialy seing as I've never been there and desperately wish to go.