National/ regional differences in slang and cursing

Felix the Cassowary   Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:54 am GMT
<<I don't personally use the term "the washing", but I have heard it used, as in "hang out the washing". It does tend to sound a little old-fashioned to me.>>

Imagine what "hang out the laundry" sounds like to me! I don't think I've ever seen anyone do *that*!
Guest   Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:11 pm GMT
Well, I stole a line from Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf. When I'm a guest somewhere, and need to go to the john, I say, "Excuse me, where is the euphemism?"

Now HERE is a euphemism! I love the old saying, "I've got to see a man about a horse."

Here's another old euphemism in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine): Package Store. Can anyone guess what they sell in a Package Store? Hint: it ain't packages!

Now, how about expressions of exasperation?

"For crying out loud," hurry up!

It used to be common in the US, and is still heard.

In the US we have Good News, Bad News jokes. Example:

Doc to cowboy who's been shot, "Son, I've got good news, and bad news."

"Give it to my straight, Doc. What's the bad news?"

"You're gonna die."

"OK, what's the good news?"

"I gotta buyer for your horse."

Do you have these where you all live?
Bill the Yank   Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:12 pm GMT
Sorry, that was from me.
Stanley   Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:06 pm GMT
Could it be that "ass" is just the way Americans pronounce "arse"?
Terry   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:52 pm GMT
<<No, I really did want to know! I've been asking people that question for years and it's the first time I've ever had a logical answer- thanks!>>

You're welcome I thouhgt I'd put you to sleep but then I realized you probably had gone to sleep anyway as it was much later in you country.

The thing that really struck my friend and I when we went to London is how many times people say, "Sorry." They use it the way we use the expression, "excuse me" but they seem to be sorry for the slightest thing. They just brush by you on the street and they say, "Sorry." It's really rather nice and polite, especially when you consider what a big, crowded city London is.

We went around saying, "Sorry" to each for weeks after we got home.
Candy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:12 pm GMT
<<The thing that really struck my friend and I when we went to London is how many times people say, "Sorry." They use it the way we use the expression, "excuse me" but they seem to be sorry for the slightest thing. They just brush by you on the street and they say, "Sorry.">>

A few months ago, I read of an experiement where an English woman deliberately bumped into (English) people on the street, to see how many of them said 'sorry' when it wasn't even their fault. Over 80% of people did!! :)
Kate   Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:50 pm GMT
<<"For crying out loud," hurry up!

It used to be common in the US, and is still heard.>>

This is still really common where I live..it's more used as a general phrase for "This is ridiculous!" here.

<<"Excuse me, where is the euphemism?" >> That's awesome.

Stanley, as far as I know "ass" is just the Americanization of "arse." There's no difference in meaning that I know of, but I could be wrong.
Rick Johnson   Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:11 pm GMT
<<The thing that really struck my friend and I when we went to London is how many times people say, "Sorry.">>

Similarly, the expression I noticed a lot of Americans used is "pardon me".

<<For crying out loud>> is an expression also used in the UK. Some expressions that I remember when I was young that have almost died out now:

"Give over!" and "bloody hell fire!"
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:52 pm GMT
<<A few months ago, I read of an experiement where an English woman deliberately bumped into (English) people on the street, to see how many of them said 'sorry' when it wasn't even their fault. Over 80% of people did!! :) >>

I believe it. I wonder what would happen if they did the same experiment elsewhere, say in the US? :-)
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:56 pm GMT
<<Similarly, the expression I noticed a lot of Americans used is "pardon me". >>

Yes, we say "pardon me" or "excuse me" but not nearly as often as the English say "sorry."
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:06 pm GMT
<<Here's another old euphemism in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine): Package Store. Can anyone guess what they sell in a Package Store? Hint: it ain't packages! >>

Liquor. Elsewhere, at least in the US, they're called liquor stores.

I'm cheating, Bill, that's my neck of the woods. :) Come to think of it, it is rather odd, they can't even say the word liquor. Probably goes back to the "blue laws" or something.

I see you use the word "john" for restroom as well.
Terry   Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:13 pm GMT
<<"Give over!" and "bloody hell fire!">>

I've heard "give over" on old, if you'll excuse the expression, "Britcoms."
Does it mean something like, "Oh, come on"?

I'm still trying to figure out why "bloody" is a curse in England.
Rick Johnson   Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:00 pm GMT
<<"Oh, come on"?>> Yeah, that's what it means- I think it's quite easy to understand in the context of a conversation.

<<I'm still trying to figure out why "bloody" is a curse in England.>>

It is rather odd and I think people originally thought it was a blasphemous reference. I'm not sure anyone knows for sure what the true origin is and hence why it should be considered a swear word. It's rather strange why any words should become unutterable. I think historically "damn" and "shit" have been considered much worse in the US than in Britain. The word "fuck" would never have been used on British TV at one time, but with American movies in the '80s (Beverly Hills Cop etc) I think most people became immune to it. Now it's used in several times a night on British TV, though curiously never on American networks.
Candy   Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:23 pm GMT
<<I'm still trying to figure out why "bloody" is a curse in England.>>

I've heard a theory that it's a contraction of 'by our Lady', but I've no idea if that's true or not.
Felix the Cassowary   Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:01 pm GMT
I find it odd that anyone would consider the word "bloody" a swear word. Actually, I find it odd that anyone would consider any word but "fuck" and derivatives to be swear words. "Shit", "bugger", "root"* etc. etc. are just words with various meanings you wouldn't utter in polite contexts, but they're not really swear words. Calling something a "swear word" in my books is a pretty strong claim, just like using them...

* In Australia "root" used to mean "fuck", nowadays it's kept its sexual meanings and can mean broken/ruined/damaged/stuffed but is much milder in force. It's also relatively rare, but we all know what it means. One barracks for football teams here. And of course it's real football teams that one barracks for—not that pansy stuff you have in America with more helmet and padding then person, nor that game played with a round ball over in England.