National/ regional differences in slang and cursing

Terry   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:36 pm GMT
<<Really Terry? It seems really widespread to me, usually in slang or ebonics. I hear "You da shit" a lot. >>

Now that you mention it, Tiffany, I think I've heard it on TV. I live in the boonies of Florida so I'm not exposed to ebonics except when I travel and even then rarely. I suppose in Miami you'd hear it a lot more. I'm up in "Grapefruitville." :)
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:38 pm GMT
If a Scot will say "saw-ri" ['so:ri:] (R slightly trilled, vowel slightly elongated).

In Britain "sorry" can be uttered in different ways (I've given you the Scottish version) and I think there is a definite North-South divide involved in England...eg the characters in Eastenders (South - East London base) would say something more similar to the "sore-ry" bit but maybe not quite ['sori:] whereas in Coronation Street (North - Manchester base)) it would be something like "sor-eh" ['sor-e] - both vowels short and sharp, the "y" sound something like the vowel in "bet" or "let". The actress who plays Audrey Roberts (Sue Nicholls) is perfect with her Mancunian accent. She does the North country "sorry" spot on, yet her usual accent away from her profession is absolutely "posh" RP, like she's never moved outside of the Surrey stockbroker belt in her life, but her father, Sir Harmar Nicholls, was a Tory (Conservative) MP so there's your answer. Her accents range is astonishing, which reflects her training. Sue Nicholls can go the whole gamut - a true professional actress.

The term Soccer is never, ever used in the British Isles. Always football...or just plain footie.

Rugby....now you're talking......plenty of action without the mega overpaid millionaire prima donna drama queens. LOL
Rick Johnson   Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:31 pm GMT
<<The term Soccer is never, ever used in the British Isles. Always football...or just plain footie.>>

My school sports fixtures list always listed the game under the name "Soccer", so it is an expression that's used even if it would only be my second choice of phrase.
Felix the Cassowary   Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:37 am GMT
I've also seen an article in _The Guardian_, I think it was, use "soccer". O'course, they were using it, in quotes, to belittle our win against Uruguay getting us into the World Cup. "Nya, nya, you only scored one goal and had to go down to penalty kick-offs to beat *them*, and you think you can play *sport*?"-sort-of-thing. (Now we get to lose to a different South American team instead!) Maybe that Gus Hiddink can earn his stay here...
Jessy   Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:17 pm GMT
Hey, i`m Jessy and i`m all about slang i curse too Yeah a lot.i don`t think cursing is bad i mean we should not get in trouble for it. Ya``ll think that the BIG F is a bad word i think it`s something that describes how you u feel.Slang is also a different way of describing how you feel the only difference is that slang can be used in different ways and cursing can`t or at least that is what they think. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee