Italian Pronunciation

Guest   Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:56 pm GMT
<<it's not true. LL and Y are well distinguished in the northern Spain, in fact, from Madrid up to the north.>>

And northern Spain makes what percentage of the Spanish speaking population? -5%??
blanche   Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:15 am GMT
It's not the GL sound as in Italian, it's different and in my opinion,it's more difficult to achieve the LL than GL.

The Italian Gl is much difficult than the Spanish LL, that's for sure. Italian has the sound GL as in Glono for instance in globo, glicerina, glicine and so on. Besides Spanish LL is different acconrding to the region and nation, the standard one is very easy indeed.
PARISIEN   Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:18 pm GMT
Do all Italians pronounce that "gli" sound correctly? In all regions?
stefano   Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:35 pm GMT
Do all Italians pronounce that "gli" sound correctly? In all regions?
--------------------

No, in certain regions dialectal influences and accents are very heavy
Giovanni   Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:16 pm GMT
gl is pronounced the same all over Italy, only some Sicilians pronounce it as Spanish LL
Guest   Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:23 pm GMT
I doubt you know how "Spanish LL" is.
guarro   Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:29 pm GMT
Spanish LL is easy. I can speak Spanish perfectly
Vitella   Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:10 am GMT
Remember that Italian gl(i) (as well as gn) is geminated, you
write it gli but it's pronouned glgli, that is like two classical Castillian LL's: LLLL, the same is true of gn: it's written gn, but pronounced ññ, in standard (Tuscan-Roman) variety of Italian:

ragno ['ra-ñño] standard pronunciation (Central Italian)
ragno ['ra:ño] regional nonstandard pronunciation (Southern and Northern accents) (they geminate/lenghen the vowel rather than consonant gn/ñ which is not standard)
blanchette   Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:19 am GMT
Vitella even if your nick sounds like a young cow in Italian :-) your message is correct :-)
nonno   Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:22 am GMT
ragno ['ra:ño] regional nonstandard pronunciation (Southern)

This is not true in the south of Italy all geminate consonants are pronounced like in Roman-Tuscan so it's ragngno/ coniglglio and so on
LL   Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:16 pm GMT
lots of people think they can pronounce spanish LL properly, but they're wrong.
If they think that LL/Y are the same letter in all Hispanoworld, that's not true.
I live near Madrid (Aranjuez), and i've never mixed those two letters.

And to achieve the LL sound, it's not that easy. Trust me. Spanish is studied all over the world I hear it a lot from turists. Nobody pronounce it correctly. Italians and Portuguese think it's GL/LH but not geminated (false), French people think it's the same thing as ll IN "Marseille", again-false!
realistic   Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:37 pm GMT
Dear LL, Standard spanish LL is very easy. Foreign students learn that sound. REgional variants are not that important abroad. If I lived in Aranjuez I'd probably learn that sound but living abroad I'm just interested in standard pronunciation.
Guest   Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:59 pm GMT
Dear LL, Standard spanish LL is very easy. Foreign students learn that sound.

No, foreign students pronounce LL either like I or like Y (consonant). Both pronounciations are easy, but they are not the true LL. Pronouncing LL like Y is accepted now by RAE, but it's called yeismo and should be avoided by educate people.
jkjk   Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:08 pm GMT
Classical castilian LL sound is dying in contempory Spanish that's a fact.
Guest   Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:01 pm GMT
You are dying too and after you do surely LL will be pronounced by somebody.