Why German is not popular here?

iusu   Wed May 13, 2009 10:46 pm GMT
Being the world's third-largest economy??
WHat??? AHAHA!
yodle   Thu May 14, 2009 2:11 am GMT
<<Living and working in Germany requires a knowledge of German. Being the world's third-largest economy and Europe's biggest country, that's not a difficult scenario to contrive. >>

That applies for any country. But what no one can tell me is what reason has one to waste time learning German because it will purportedly increase your salary, when you won't get the job in the first place because they will hire Germans who are fluent in both languages? If they do hire you over the German candidate it will be based on your business skills, not your language skills. The only reason why someone should learn German is if they are intersted in it for its own sake, but if you learn it because you think it will make you rich then you are an ignorant fool.
Léa   Thu May 14, 2009 2:57 pm GMT
iusu Wed May 13, 2009 10:46 pm GMT
Being the world's third-largest economy??
WHat??? AHAHA!

it's true.
Liretteboux   Thu May 14, 2009 5:06 pm GMT
it's true.

Yes, but in your mind. I'm sure of it
13   Thu May 14, 2009 6:18 pm GMT
Germany is the fourth largest economy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

But is no shame to be behind China.
Guest   Thu May 14, 2009 6:23 pm GMT
Considering Germany and all the people around the world of German ancestry it's the biggest economy of the world.
Léa   Thu May 14, 2009 6:31 pm GMT
Liretteboux Thu May 14, 2009 5:06 pm GMT

Yes, but in your mind. I'm sure of it

why are you saying this Germany is one of richest economy in the world, everybody knows that! are you stupid or what ?
gajo   Thu May 14, 2009 6:37 pm GMT
Germany is also one the most polluted countries in the world. The guys of this forum are so stupid that they only think in money and economy..
Harman   Thu May 14, 2009 6:43 pm GMT
Frau Colette Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:37 pm GMT
This drives me mad. German is spoken by more than 100 millions in Europe, but I can only see threads about French, Italian, Spanish and even Portuguese and other inferior languages. German deserves to be more popular on Antimoon but I think there is a kind of conspiracy made by the moderators or somebody against German. Wha'ts going on here?

Inferior languages???
Ein reich,ein folk, ein fuhrer, my god are there still people like you in deutscheland?

Anyway, we can not learn all lenguages all around the globe so we elect what we want to learn.

I will like to learn deutsch but i have no time left that's my case and beside alot of people in Deutscheland speak english so I don't need german.
Deutscher   Thu May 14, 2009 6:47 pm GMT
alot of people in Deutscheland speak english so I don't need german.

not true, this is a cliché.
Die Wahtheit   Thu May 14, 2009 7:07 pm GMT
<<alot of people in Deutscheland speak english so I don't need german.

Nein, das is nicht ein Klischee, es ist die Wahrheit
que   Thu May 14, 2009 9:03 pm GMT
It is stupid to deny importance of German language in the world.
Paul   Fri May 15, 2009 5:28 am GMT
<<It is stupid to deny importance of German language in the world.>>

In the WORLD?! Come on, be serious.
SchwarzeSonne   Fri May 15, 2009 7:08 am GMT
...in the UNIVERSE.
German is very important in Antarctica, on the Moon, Mars and Aldebaran
fraz   Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 am GMT
I would never claim that German is an important world language, but it remains by far the biggest language in Europe in terms of native speakers. So it's certainly a major language within its own continent, just as Arabic dominates over a vast stretch of Asia and Africa.

Also, it's not really true to say that most Germans speak English. Certainly, within commercial circles and among highly educated people there will be a marked proficiency in English, but your average everyday German is not usually a good English speaker. There are literally millions of Germans who would struggle to utter a coherent sentence in English. And if you go to the east of the country, you will find that - outside Berlin - English is barely understood at all.