Which Romance language sounds more Slavic?

Franco   Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:30 pm GMT
Romanian and Russian people have similar accent when speaking Spanish.
OriginalGuest   Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:15 am GMT
The phonetic register of the romanian language includes nearly all slavic sounds which makes it possible for a romanian to speak russian tongue-twisters, a feat impossible for any other romance speaker, including portuguese speakers i would say. Any portuguese speaker here who can enlighten us on this? Also it is considerably easier for a native romanian speaker to get rid of his accent in russian than to get rid of his english accent.
mmhh   Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:01 pm GMT
My cunt smells alot
K.T.   Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:07 am GMT
That is caused by deficient hygiene. Clean your vagina regularly .
European   Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:50 pm GMT
The phonetic register of the romanian language includes nearly all slavic sounds which makes it possible for a romanian to speak russian tongue-twisters

I do not think so, as far as I know Slavonic languages have generally more phonemes than Romanian. Besides, Romanian accent is quite thick, even when they speak another romance language. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Franco, Romanian accent is defenetely slavic, more or less like Continental Portuguese.
OriginalGuest   Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:28 pm GMT
Standard romanian has less phonemes than street romanian, especially outside Bucharest.

The western romanian accent has plenty of phonemes borrowed from hungarian and imitators of the hungarian accent use an accentuated western accent; the eastern romanian accent has phonemes from eastern slavic languages - analogous the imitators of the russian accent use an accentuated moldavian accent. The accent local to Bucharest has no extra phonemes as far as i know but they certainly do have a recognizable local accent (intonation and stress patterns, local words, a few grammatical patterns,etc), especially among the working class.

In fact the standard romanian alphabet does not even capture all romanian diphthongs and palatalizations used even in the standard pronunciation. In this respect the language is not fully phonetic.
OriginalGuest   Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:39 pm GMT
Sorry, the alphabet is the one that is not fully phonetic.
Dan   Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:21 pm GMT
The accent of Romanians in English is let's say Eastern European, but that does not mean that Romanian itself has a Slavic sound to it.

Heck, French natives speaking Romanian have an Arabic accent, does this mean French itself sounds like Arabic??

Another interview in Romanian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBUmnHpnNf0
If you think this sounds Slavic, post something similar in a Slavic language.
Dan   Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:25 am GMT
@OriginalGuest,

The regional accents barely survive in present day Romania. There are more differences now between the urban and rural accents than among the accents of the historical regions of Romania. I have seen Romanians here associating the Iasi accent with the Moldovan accent (the Romanian Moldova) - this is incorrect. The current Moldovan accent is very weak, and it dissapears when a Moldovan speaks with somebody from a different region (unlike the Iasi accent).

Only a few counties preserve regional accents and these have or had in the past large non-Romanian communities: Iasi, Botosani, Covasna, Harghita, Mures, Satu Mare and Maramures. Pretty much everywhere else the urban accent is standard Romanian.
fry   Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:44 am GMT
Haha...this thread makes me feel better.

I was driving with a friend of mine, and a Portuguese song came on the radio. Soon before realizing it wasn't, I said, "Uhh...is that Russian?"

My friend laughed.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.
Dan   Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:06 pm GMT
People here said that the Romanian accent in English is like Russian's accent. While I agree that the Romanian accent in English has some Eastern European nuances to it (just like the Hungarian accent for instance), it is far from Russian accent:

Which accents seem closer to you?

Russian Prime-Minister Putin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIDoJpz-aYk

former Romanian Prime-Minister Tariceanu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARDcmgHgOto

former Hungarian Prime-Minister Gyurcsany:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HTKhm7rlKs
opinion   Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:43 pm GMT
I think that Iranian languages sound like Slavic.
JGreco   Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:42 pm GMT
In that instance with the examples Dan posted, I think the Romanian and Hungarian accents in English sound more similar. Though, the later two men are obviously better English speakers than Putin. Putin has been notoriously known to speak very bad English. Someone needs to post a Russian example of a Russian who can speak English at a level of the later two interviewees.
poiu   Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:20 am GMT
Continental Spanish
Lad   Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 pm GMT
Continental Portuguese.