Which Romance language sounds more Slavic?

dude   Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:57 pm GMT
It depends on the region; some use it more than others, mostly colloquially, but a lot of Slavic terms have been reduced to archaisms. Latin derived terms (the natural ones, not the French ones) are often more common in day to day conversation, but you do get the occasional Slavic words. The thing is, though, many of these words have changed so much in Romanian that they aren't immediately recognizable by speakers of Slavic languages, so it can't really help that much if you want to travel to other Eastern European countries. Oh and for the record, besides wine and beer, their main hard drink is something called tuica made from plums.
Español   Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:58 pm GMT
Romania will speak spanish too.
Matematik   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:14 am GMT
<<If you use more Slavic vocabulary you will end up nowhere. What it means to use more of that or more of this? Are you serious? If I am using more German vocabulary or more French would you British boy, understand what I am telling say? You cannot even pronounce my name correctly, (Vlastimir) what about talking this or that as you are saying? You either speak a language or not speak it. Point! There is no alternative, what is all this bullshit for?>>

Contemporary Romanian - highlighted words are French or Italian loanwords:

Toate fiinţele umane se nasc libere şi egale în demnitate şi în drepturi. Ele sunt înzestrate cu raţiune şi conştiinţă şi trebuie să se comporte unele faţă de altele în spiritul fraternităţii.

Romanian, excluding French and Italian loanwords - highlighted words are Slavic loanwords:

Toate fiinţele omeneşti se nasc slobode şi deopotrivă în destoinicie şi în drepturi. Ele sunt înzestrate cu înţelegere şi cuget şi trebuie să se poarte unele faţă de altele în duh de frăţietate.

From Wikipedia, clearly it is possible to use more Romance inspired language, or more Slavic inspired language.
Matematik   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:23 am GMT
<<If you use more Slavic vocabulary you will end up drinking vodka and dancing kalinka. >>

Or if they use more Romance vocabulary they'll be perpetually picking-olives and being Brit's servants on holiday?
Franco   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 am GMT
Do you think really the Spaniards are the ones who serve the British tourists fake paella and cheap wine when we have so many Moroccoan and Romanian immigrants? The waiters of the British in Spain are the immigrants . The Spaniards run the business and count the money they made at the end of the day thanks to the voracious alcohol consumption by the British drunkards. Now leave the Romance people alone, you British midget Germanic wannabe.
dude   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:34 am GMT
Sorry for that other guy's harsh response; I don't know what his deal was. You are right: you can use either, but today it is much more common to use the first variation that you posted.

Btw, since the highlighting didn't show up on your post, the Slavic words in the second one are slobode, deopotriva, destoinicie, trebuie, and duh. As you can see, even some Latin derived words like cuget, fratietate, and intelegere were replaced by French derivations.
to Mathematik   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:35 am GMT
This is the answer to your question:

In 99% of the situations, if you use only Slavic originated words, you won’t be able to communicate with any Romanian; you cannot build a sentence only with slavic words. They are only LOAN words and nothing else!

With 2-3 exceptions, the overwhelming majority of the verbs are of Latin origin and the verbs are the ones who are indicating what the subject is doing; they are showing the action; with their help we can build phrases express wishes etc. Without verbs and by using only Slavic originated words you will end up with nothing else but a list of words. Imagine this: friend, dear, love, plough, (prieten, drag, dragoste, plug). It will be like that and your interlocutor will be totally confused!

Espanol - no the Romania won't speak Spanish. It succed to not speak Russian, how do you think it will speak Spanish! Romania speaks Romanian and Romanian is what it is!
to Mathematik   Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:06 am GMT
I omitted to mention that by using only Latin originated words, you can comunicate with anybody who speaks Romanian without problems. Don't forget that many if not majority of Slavic words have synonims of Latin origin. The Slavic words substitution is easy and it won't produce any dificulties in communication
dude   Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:07 am GMT
Look, man. Sorry but the list of Slavic terms is actually a little bigger than just the ones you put here, and you can't view them purely as Russian loan words. Most of them entered the language long ago as a result of close cohabitation with Slavic peoples, mixed with the influence of the Orthodox church and their relative power in the region. It's just that many of them have been gradually phased out of use, either naturally or not.
However, today they amount to around 15 to 20% or so, and it is true that you can't really form a complete sentence with just them, and of course as mentioned earlier the romance ones are more common or frequent in normal conversation (grammatical elements, basic verbs, things dealing with the natural world, life, environment, animals, household, people, occupations, law, etc). This reflects that for a lot of their history many of them led comparatively simple lives and they didn't need as many of these more complex, modern, technical and abstract terms that have entered as imported neologisms from French.
Franco   Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:13 am GMT
Why are the Romanians ashamed of the Slavic influence? They always try to convince us that the Slavic vocabulary in Romanian is smaller than it really is. At least dude recognizes the truth. The Romanians should be grateful to the Slavs as they whitened their gypsy country.
Matematik   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:03 am GMT
<<the voracious alcohol consumption by the British drunkards.>>

Haha, coming from the country that is famous for the "Botellón"? At least British people keep their alcohol consumption confined to bars, while you uncivilised scum seem drink on the streets, out in the open, causing trouble with locals, fighting each other, and leaving a horrendous mess - but to be fair, the mess part isn't an issue, Spaniards dump anything anywhere.

And don't try to deny it, the "Botellón" has caused a massive issue in Spain, much of Spanish youth culture is viewed as nothing more than drunken louts, even to the extent that there was a documentary on the "Botellón" in Britain - my conclusion was at least its not that bad here.

http://www.madridmemata.es/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/botellon.jpg

http://rafa12.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/botellon-movida-nocturna_6478.jpg

http://zaragozamemata.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/2670061.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00046/botellon_spain_portu_46574s.jpg - don't they look pleasent chaps?

Oh you Spanish are so civilised!
dudescu   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 am GMT
Oy, seriously, enough with that damn gypsy thing. It's getting kinda old, and no matter how much you keep saying it, it's not going to make it true. For much of the Roma's history in Romania, the gypsies either kept mainly to their own people, as per their culture, or were enslaved, along with Tartars, bought and sold in a similar fashion to Africans in the U.S. (there were even posters advertising sales), but the practice was gradually abolished by the 1850s as a result of reform movements.

Here's an article on Wikipedia about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Romania

The truth is, Romanians are getting some form of cosmic payback today for their treatment of gypsies in the past. I know a lot of people don't like them in Europe, and I admit they have some reasons.But they're still people: they're just disadvantaged and for some reason often deal with their problems in different ways. In America though, people who aren't directly exposed to and only familiar with the romantic, nomadic, mystical fortune-telling aspect of them actually like them, but it's more of a fascination. Besides, isn't the most famous gypsy arguably Carmen? And we all know where that play takes place.

*waits for franco to retort by posting a picture of the village from borat*
Romanian songs   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:22 am GMT
dude   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:43 am GMT
You didn't understand my point...did you want me to make a list with all the Slavic originated words? This not what I meant...I don't have time to translate what I meant in my comment. I am sorry!

Mathematic, are you not ashamed to talk like that? Do you have any idea how much pain you English bastards caused to the Native Americans, to native Australians, to the Maoris in New Zeeland, to the Indians in India and not only? Do you have any idea how many people you killed, how many women you raped, how much land you steal from much more civilized/peaceful people?

You are the wildest nation on the Earth and even today, your hooligans are not missing an opportunity to show it up and you, you dare to speak about Romania? You dare to speak about gypsies?

Do you know that your handicapped Prime Minister Churchill together with Stalin and Roosevelt divided the world in two parts, one communist and another one capitalist just by their primitive, unique will - by ignoring the choice and will of millions of people? Do you really understand who you were and are? Do you really know who you are? Do you know your own criminal past? Shame on you! How come that you have the guts to open the mouth and criticize other people for things what will never ever balance your dark , ugly , wild, primitive, rude and sad past and present behavior? Do you UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING, YOU IDIOT?

My goodness, what a moron!
...   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:58 am GMT
^um... i think you got them mixed up. it's actually not matematik that was saying that, it was franco. just so you know. don't talk badly about the english either; that's not cool.