Do u use slang???

Pravi   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:27 pm GMT
Hi all,

I have to clarify myself about the slangs used by the americans. I have large observed that americans use more slangs than the britans. I might be wrong in the comparison here, but its true. Some especially in the teen age, use the so called "F**K" word as a slang for every other word. Is it that all americans do this or does it again depends on the individual culture? I do not know about both the cultures but i like to know more about the versatility of english in each region. Does anyone forum on this???
SpaceFlight   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:31 pm GMT
<<Hi all,

I have to clarify myself about the slangs used by the americans. I have large observed that americans use more slangs than the britans.>>

I disagree that Americans use slang more often than the Britons. By the way, ''slangs'' is not a word.
Tiffany   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:34 pm GMT
I also disagree that Americans use more slang. We all use slang.
Kirk   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:38 pm GMT
Overall usage of slang is probably about equal around the world for any given language, and everyone uses it to some extent (even 90 year old great-grandmothers), but youth-oriented slang that teenagers use probably stands out most to outside observers. I wouldn't say there's any evidence that adolescents in the UK could be said to use less slang than Americans of the same age. However, the slang that's used might be quite different at times. For instance, in at least some parts of the UK there exist various forms of "rhyming slang," a phenomenon which is largely unheard of in North America as far as I'm aware. I'm sure it goes the other way around with some other things, as well.
Pravi   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:56 pm GMT
<<rhyming slang," a phenomenon which is largely unheard of in North America as far as I'm aware>>
I agree on this Kirk. Rhyming slang might not exist in North America which is accustomed to the british accent. But the usage of the slang in americans is more in comparison than the brits. My discussion is not that britians do not use it and americans use it more. It is a comparison between the numbers.
Rick Johnson   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:57 pm GMT
I think "rhyming slang" is more a matter of tradition than everyday slang. The youngsters certainly wouldn't think you were cool if you talked about going up the "apples and pears to the rubba dub"- in fact they'd just think you were a wanker!

I think kids have always used a lot of slang. When I was young we used to talk about stuff being "dead ace". I don't use that term today- unsurprisingly!
Rick Johnson   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:57 pm GMT
I think "rhyming slang" is more a matter of tradition than everyday slang. The youngsters certainly wouldn't think you were cool if you talked about going up the "apples and pears to the rubba dub"- in fact they'd just think you were a wanker!

I think kids have always used a lot of slang. When I was young we used to talk about stuff being "dead ace". I don't use that term today- unsurprisingly!
Kirk   Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:05 pm GMT
<<I agree on this Kirk. Rhyming slang might not exist in North America which is accustomed to the british accent. But the usage of the slang in americans is more in comparison than the brits. My discussion is not that britians do not use it and americans use it more. It is a comparison between the numbers.>>

And my point was that even between the numbers, the usage of slang overall is unlikely to be higher for one over another. However, if you had any sources to cite which would back your statement up I'd be more than glad to check them out :)

<<I think "rhyming slang" is more a matter of tradition than everyday slang. The youngsters certainly wouldn't think you were cool if you talked about going up the "apples and pears to the rubba dub"- in fact they'd just think you were a wanker!>>

Haha, maybe not :) But I have heard younger UKers use rhyming slang that's more current. From my impression it's still alive and well, but then again you're the one who lives there ;)

<<I think kids have always used a lot of slang. When I was young we used to talk about stuff being "dead ace". I don't use that term today- unsurprisingly!>>

Hehe--yeah, slang terms sometimes stay around for decades (even centuries) and then pass into "standard" usage or eventually go by the wayside, being replaced by newer words. Of course, there are some old-timers who preserve the old slang words of their young days, but I bet it's still only a fraction of them. One interesting thing about language change is that it not only occurs from generation to generation but it can also occur within a generation as they grow older. Some older people are surprised when they hear recordings of their younger selves--they may have a different accent, use different intonation, different expressions and slang, etc.
Terry   Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:24 pm GMT
<<I think kids have always used a lot of slang. When I was young we used to talk about stuff being "dead ace".>>

What did, or does, "dead ace" mean, Rick. I love old expressions. They're like a hobby with me. I collect them and resurrect them. They're fun.
Terry   Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:27 pm GMT
<<Hehe--yeah, slang terms sometimes stay around for decades (even centuries) and then pass into "standard" usage or eventually go by the wayside, being replaced by newer words. >>

Yes, "cool" comes to mind, Kirk. Correct me if I'm wrong but that must have come about in the 1950's.
Kirk   Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:48 pm GMT
<<Yes, "cool" comes to mind, Kirk. Correct me if I'm wrong but that must have come about in the 1950's.>>

I think it started to enter more "mainstream" usage (at least as mainstream as those of the "beat" generation were at that time--if I picture someone saying "cool" in the 50s it makes me think of beatniks sitting around a poetry reading in a cafe in San Francsico, but maybe that's just me) at that time but according to etymonline.com in the entry for <cool>:

"Slang use for "fashionable" is 1933, originally Black English, said to have been popularized in jazz circles by tenor saxophonist Lester Young."

Of course by now it's extremely prevalent, and not just jazz artists and beatniks use it. I've noticed it's often a synonym for "ok" in conversation, at least as I and others here use it:

Person A: "I'm gonna go to the bank and then maybe I'll call you when I get back"
Person B: "Cool. See ya later then"

There's nothing extraordinarily "cool" about what Person A is saying (at least in terms of it being "awesome" or whatever) but Person B uses it as an acknowledgement of what Person A stated. Of course, the word still may be used in the sense of "amazing" if given the right context, but I do think it's interesting that this milder usage is quite common as well.
Rick Johnson   Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:03 am GMT
"Dead" = very or really. I have heard Americans say it sometimes- I remember Bill Clinton saying that something was "dead wrong".
"Ace" = good, excellent etc.....

There is a large amount of US slang that has spread universally into mainstream language. Words from the 1800s include "hangover", "bunkum" and "hindsight".

For anyone interested in "Americanisms", this book from 1848 should prove interesting. Especially from a British perspective when I realize their proliferation in the UK.
http://www.merrycoz.org/voices/bartlett/AMER01.HTM
Terry   Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:03 am GMT
<<"cool" in the 50s it makes me think of beatniks sitting around a poetry reading in a cafe in San Francsico, but maybe that's just me)>>

Yes, I was also thinking of beatnicks, but being from the East I was thinking of a little, smoky, basement "dive" in Greenwich Village, where an unknown group called "Peter, Paul and Mary" might have been singing, "the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.":)

It also seems to me that in some old movies, where Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin and others starred, "cool" was used as well. "The Brat Pack," I think these actors were called.

<<Of course by now it's extremely prevalent, and not just jazz artists and beatniks use it. I've noticed it's often a synonym for "ok" in conversation, at least as I and others here use it: >>

Yes, that's become common and I don't how it came about but there it is.
Terry   Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:06 am GMT
<<but according to etymonline.com in the entry for <cool>:

"Slang use for "fashionable" is 1933, originally Black English, said to have been popularized in jazz circles by tenor saxophonist Lester Young." >>

I never would have thought that. I just checked my "American Slang" dictionary and they have a lot of info on the word "cool." I think you might find it interesting so I'll post it when I get back. Have to run for a couple of hours. Talk later.:)
Terry   Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:37 am GMT
Okay here goes on "cool," from "American Slang."

To postpone, await developments as in, "Let's cool this whole business for a week or so."

A verb from the 1930's meaning to kill.

In control of one's feelings, stoic. "Learn to be cool under fire."

Noun, "He lost his cool and bolted like a rabbit."

Beat & cool talk: Aloof and uninvolved, disengaged as an expression of alientation. "He's cool, don't give a shit for nothing."

1940's cool musicians' Jazz marked by soft tones etc.

Beat and counterculture, excellent, good, desirable, "a cool shirt."

Also to blow one's cool, lose one's cool, play it cool."

Cool, huh?