Does Greek sound like European Spanish?.

la greca   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:11 pm GMT
el greco   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 pm GMT
la greca   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:47 pm GMT
Hi, the link you posted is American Spanish. I want you to compare Greek with European Spanish because both have TH and jota sound. American Spanish lacks these sounds.

this is a song in European Spanish for comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQhDZG4__ko
el greco   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:11 pm GMT
Yes , I think the phonetic system is very similar even the 'rolled' 'r' but the foreground is very different. For instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br-D-RxqLlg&feature=fvst
Malibu Queen   Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:29 pm GMT
Spanish jota is similar to Dutch g, throaty and spitting sound. Not very polite at all.
Komtu   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:41 pm GMT
Mexican spanish has the jota and the voiced th sound. as in thy, not thigh.
TaylorS   Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:59 am GMT
Greek and European Spanish do, it's because they have similar consonant inventories.
Guest   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:45 am GMT
Not only consonants but vowels are the same indeed. I noticed that Greek uses certain consonant clusters like "ks" that are not very used in Spanish.
Pescado   Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:52 am GMT
Spanish is the best. Stop trolling please.
lichou   Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:31 pm GMT
greek sounds greek... not european spanish
trogir   Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:53 pm GMT
the phonetic system in both languages is almost the same!

B and V sounds
C+e/i as in TH (think)
D as in TH (that)
G (softened)
J (xota)
K/C (softened)
S (palatalized)
Domine   Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:36 am GMT
Arabic has some similarities with the twirling r / rr, as the aspirant th and even a sibilant s to an extent. Spanish and Greek indeed sound related, however, they are further from eachother as Arabic is to the two aforementioned. I do suppose it would make it easier for any speaker of the three mentioned to learn the other language as the have a similar enunciation and some derived words from the other.

Suffice to say, to answer the initial question: European-Spanish does sound Greek-like as does Greek to European-Spanish.
celta   Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:23 am GMT
yes, it is
Cur   Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:32 am GMT
I met a Greek guy in Spain to whom I asked this very question. He said that from a distance (enough so as not to hear actual words), he always thought he heard Greek when it was in fact Spanish being spoken. And yes, the phonology of Greek and European Spanish is very similar.
PARISIEN   Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:45 am GMT
J'ai la sensation qu'il y a beaucoup qu'en espagnol les voyelles 'o' et 'a' sont dominantes, alors qu'en grec c'est 'i' (comme en italien). Cela fait un paysage sonore assez différent.