About English Dictionaries (British & American)

Tianjiner   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:09 am GMT
To British,
1.Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (5th Edition)
2.Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (7th Edition)

Which is relatively more preferable for non-English speakers?

To Americans,
1. The American Heritage College Dictionary(4th Edition)
2. Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary(11th Edition)

Which is relatively more "preferable" for native English speakers?

Thank you!
Tommy   Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:29 am GMT
1.Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (5th Edition)

2. Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary(11th Edition)
Tom   Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:41 pm GMT
Tianjiner   Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:26 am GMT
Thanks a lot, Tom *, it's very helpful.

I've just read through your article, and found Oxford Advanced wasn't recommended.

Actually Longman is always my favourite, as you suggested, we could get another dictionary, either Collins or Cambridge, but not either Oxford or Cambridge (Collins)?
Tianjiner   Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:52 am GMT
BTW, excuse me, one more question please, after I get 2 advanced learners' English dictionary (for non-native English speakers), what kind of British (not American edition) dictionary for English native speakers should I buy? <Concise Oxford English Dictionary>? or what else? Thanks again.
Milton   Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:17 am GMT
I like Cambridge Advanced Learner's dic., and the new M W Learner's dic.
Both of them show the cot/caught merged pronunciation (to /A/).
Guest   Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:54 pm GMT
Antimoon made a review about English dictionaries and Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 2009 wins . Do you agree? I want a dictionary that is good for both English English and American English.Also did you try the Longman DVD? Is it as faulty as Antimoon says in the review?. I have no money to buy two dictionaries, only one, so what do you think?.
Kendra   Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:40 pm GMT
I would recommend Longman Dictionary of American English and MW Learner's Dictionary for American English. For British English: Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary.
Tom   Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:24 pm GMT
Tianjiner, I think the OED is the best (though expensive) for British English, but why do you think you need a dictionary for native speakers?
Tom   Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:31 pm GMT
Milton,

The merged pronunciation is one of the reasons why I don't like them. You would be hard pressed to find speakers in American media who pronounce "bot" the same way as "bought". It is simply not a feature of General American pronunciation. I don't know why these two dictionaries decided to promote this particular variation of American pronunciation.

In addition, for those speakers who merge the two vowels, [a:] does not seem to be the right symbol.
Milton   Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:19 pm GMT
You would be hard pressed to find speakers in American media who pronounce "bot" the same way as "bought". It is simply not a feature of General American pronunciation.

//

This is simply not true.
Most accents close to General American (Western US, Central Ohio, Florida, Vermont) are low back merged. Check your facts.
I don't what you mean by ''American media''. I only have access to Hollywood production, and most actors are cot/caught merged because Californian accent is considered prestigious even by people born Back East (like NYC native Brooke Shields:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O2UG7JnJTk
).
Tianjiner   Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:51 am GMT
Tom*, a friend of mine suggested that I should get a dictionary for English native speakers. And I was wondering how you think about Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, compared with Cambridge Advanced and Collins Advanced. Thanks!
K. T.   Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:43 am GMT
I'm not Tom, but I have the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. It's enough for advanced learners, but not enough for those who want to edge closer to the real level of good educated speakers of English. I wouldn't use it as a "scrabble" dictionary, for example. I use Merriam Webster.

Scrabble is a word game with tiles that some people play. Some people play it online.
K. T.   Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:44 am GMT
At some point, you should move toward using what native speakers use.
Another Guest   Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:47 am GMT
Tom, can you present clips of people pronouncing "bot" and "bought" in what you consider the "normal" American pronunciation?