Is English an inferior language?

Guest   Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:23 pm GMT
The last two political , economic and military superpower were not the British Empire and USA but USSR and USA. The importance of English nowadays is due to USA only, not to the heritage of the British Empire even a bit.
Amabo   Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:06 pm GMT
"The importance of English nowadays is due to USA only, not to the heritage of the British Empire even a bit."

You need to get back to the history books, chum. The US inherited its superpower mantle from the British Empire after that empire had already established the global pre-eminence of English.

And how do you suppose the US came to be an English-speaking power in the first place?

Could it have something to do with its orgins as thirteen English-speaking British colonies?

As for Russia's status, you'll notice how many people really go out of their way to learn Russian so they can improve their chances of advancement in the world.
Uriel   Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:35 pm GMT
Actually, Britain wasn't a superpower when it established its American colonies in the early 1600's. It was an interloper trying to establish itself against the existing Spanish superpower. That's why it picked North America for its colonial ventures, and not already Spanish and Portuguese-dominated South America. And that's also why it directed its first settlers to search for nonexistent gold in the Virginia swamp -- it was trying to reproduce Spain's success.

So you can't say "(t)he US inherited its superpower mantle from the British Empire after that empire had already established the global pre-eminence of English." It had done no such thing. We were their first attempt to get an empire going!
Amabo   Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:16 pm GMT
"Actually, Britain wasn't a superpower when it established its American colonies in the early 1600's."

Did I say it was?

"So you can't say '(t)he US inherited its superpower mantle from the British Empire after that empire had already established the global pre-eminence of English.' It had done no such thing. We were their first attempt to get an empire going!"

You certainly can. You seem to forget that, from the comprehensive defeat of Napoleon through to the early 20th Century, Britain was the leading superpower of its day. English became a global lingua franca during the 19th Century, on the back of British imperial power and prestige.

The two world wars put paid to Britain's power and influence. However, the country that picked up the slack was also English-speaking: the US.

So from the early 19th Century to the present, the English language grew to global dominance through two successive world powers: the British Empire and the US.
Guest   Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:28 pm GMT
<<You certainly can. You seem to forget that, from the comprehensive defeat of Napoleon through to the early 20th Century, Britain was the leading superpower of its day. English became a global lingua franca during the 19th Century, on the back of British imperial power and prestige.>>

English became a global lingua franca after 1945. Before that, English was just the language of the English empire the same way Spanish was the language of the Spanish Empirand French the language of the French empire. For example before 1945 English didn't have the preeminence it has nowadays in sciences, German could rivalize or beat English quite easily. As for diplomacy French had the same importance if not more than English. Definitely English was not a lingua franca before 1945.
i   Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:00 pm GMT
France was also a superpower until WWII. Britain might have been a superpower, but only due to its ability to manage money. Everyone predominantly learned French (English and German were only catching up).
Shaun   Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:06 pm GMT
If English grammar is so easy then why aren't any of my foreign friends who consider themselves 'fluent' able to correctly use many phrasal verbs and/or understand me when I use certain ones? Grammar is more than verb conjugation, people.

Here's a short list of the most used ones. I can even think of some that aren't on there. These are phrasal verbs English language speakers know inherently, but when used with a foreigner said foreigner usually has to ask about the subtlety/combination of words.

I have some very talented French and Spanish native friends who speak English pretty much perfectly... except for prepositions and phrasal verbs (and spelling/pronunciation every once in a while).

http://www.englishpage.com/prepositions/phrasaldictionary.html
Amabo   Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:27 pm GMT
"Guest" and "i":

Please, please.

Spare me the junk history.
Guest   Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:45 pm GMT
It's so hilarious when one says English is a lingua franca thanks to the British Empire...Paradoxically English became a lingua IN SPITE OF the English, because they were so coward that if it wasn't for USA and given the poor performance of the British Empire in the IIWW, nowadays German would be the global lingua franca.
Amabo   Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:51 pm GMT
Again, spare us all your junk history.

Next question, please.
Guest   Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:58 pm GMT
I was not asking.
loooooooooooooooolllz   Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:54 pm GMT
<<Let me see if I understand your logic.

The whole universe is wonderful.

Evolution could not possibly produce anything as wonderful as the whole universe.

Therefore the whole universe was not produced by evolution.

Is that your syllogism, Damian? >>

Hahaha, if only reality were that simple! If only reality could be summed up in 4 sentences, rather than in millions of scientific tomes and journals all around the world created by millions of scientists with years and years of hard intensive study and millions of computers using trillions of dollars for the last five hundred years.
Edward Teach   Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:16 am GMT
So let me get this straight...
An empire that covered a third of the worlds territory and population didnt have any impact on the spread of English?
The British Empire were "so coward"( bwa ha ha!) that they fought in two world wars despite a horrendous loss of manpower both times?

Also the imortance of Britain was more from the fact it was the first industrialized nation than its ability to "manage money"

Where would you ignorant peasants be without me?
Guest   Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:36 am GMT
Sorry but the British Empire never covered one third of the world. Read more before teaching!. British Empire covered one fifth of the world at its peak.

yeah, English was the first industrialized nation, but other European countries catched up fast and before English was a lingua franca Britain was overtaken by Germany as for industrial output.

Believe me, the role of English as a lingua franca is due to USA, if it wasn't for USA the English language wouldn't last two rounds against French or German.
Learn more before teaching.
Edward Teach   Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:44 am GMT
You mean English wouldnt be a official language of its former colonies?
How do you know?
"catched up"..... "learn more before teaching" oh the irony.
"wouldnt last two rounds" Now who is talking from ignorance? What the hell?