French "a"

just me   Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:10 am GMT
" You need to consider and keep in mind that it may be this way in French minds ... but the world does not follow French or France. To the rest of humanity, those combinations contain 'A'. "

Yes, to the rest of humanity that doesn"t know french language it is the case.

That is precisely why I said your statements about french always look ridiculous... precisely because you make affirmations about french (thinking you are able to teach how french works to french people themselves) without knowing nothing about it.

You are right, the non-francophone humanity isn't supposed to know how french works, but because of that they are not supposed either to make stupid statements about a language they visibly don't know. I'm sorry but that is as stupid as if I teached a german person how german has to be pronounced when myself I can't speak German...

It was not the first time you played the "professor french" without even speaking the language, making stupid statements as saying a few months ago that french adjectives had to be placed before the nouns, supposedly in your mind to contrary to other romance languages... that one gave us a great laugh!
proposition   Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 am GMT
Let's discuss about french "b".
Leasnam   Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:20 pm GMT
Yes, I recognise that I don't speak French properly, I can't even locate Irak on a map. But I'm an arrogant American and the French must speak French the way I want. Otherwise their country will be invaded.
PARISIEN   Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:35 pm GMT
<< Irak >>

This is the French spelling...
(English: Iraq)

<< First of all, the distinction is best preserved in word-final stressed syllables, e.g. in the minimal pairs tache [taʃ] ('stain') vs. tâche [tɑːʃ] ('task') and rat [ʁa] ('rat') vs. ras [ʁɑ] ('short'). >>

-- or 'mal' ('wrong') vs. 'mâle' ('male')

<< Certain phonological contexts favor back [ɑ], for example a preceding [ʁw] (trois [tʁwɑ] 'three') or a following [z] (gaz [ɡɑːz] 'gas').[9] The difference in quality is often reinforced by a difference in length. The exact distribution of the two vowels varies greatly from speaker to speaker. >>

-- Yep. Wikipedia doesn't always tell lies.

<< So Parisien is a peasant from Picardie in reality >>

-- I happen to have most of my roots in Normandy, but some in Picardy too!
The REAL Leasnam   Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:06 pm GMT
"Leasnam Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:20 pm GMT
Yes, I recognise that I don't speak French properly, I can't even locate Irak on a map. But I'm an arrogant American and the French must speak French the way I want. Otherwise their country will be invaded.
"

LOL, Very Good!
I couldn't have said it better myself ;)

I love this place :)
Leasnam   Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:13 pm GMT
<<Leasnam : tu feins de ne pas comprendre ? Les entités <an>, <ai>, <au>, <ain>, <aon>, <eau> etc sont des graphèmes dont aucun ne représente le phonème /a/ (ni le phonème /ɑ/ d'ailleurs). D'autre part, lesdits graphèmes contiennent le graphème <a> mais aucun ne "contient" les phonèmes /a/ ou /ɑ/. C'est pourtant assez simple à comprendre : une lettre est un signe graphique qui ne produit aucun son. >>

greg, Yes, I understand, but in 'just me''s post he/she never made this clear. Not only was it ambiguous, the way it was worded never caused me to see it in the other light

See here: ""A" in french is pronounced the same way it is in all romance language "

Had he/she said the following: "/a/ in french is pronounced the same way it is in all romance language" there would have been no recourse. But when you type "A", to me you are refereing to the bookstave.
Leasnam   Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:22 pm GMT
<<That is precisely why I said your statements about french always look ridiculous... precisely because you make affirmations about french (thinking you are able to teach how french works to french people themselves) without knowing nothing about it.

You are right, the non-francophone humanity isn't supposed to know how french works, but because of that they are not supposed either to make stupid statements about a language they visibly don't know. I'm sorry but that is as stupid as if I teached a german person how german has to be pronounced when myself I can't speak German...

It was not the first time you played the "professor french" without even speaking the language, making stupid statements as saying a few months ago that french adjectives had to be placed before the nouns, supposedly in your mind to contrary to other romance languages... that one gave us a great laugh! >>

This is a picture of you, my Friend, not me.
Really, I am a little embarrassed for you. I would rather be a learner who makes errors than to have severe character flaws like yours...my errors can be corrected :(

<<french adjectives had to be placed before the nouns>>
Can you do me a favor please and find where I said this?

Honestly, dude you must be kidding me LOL. You are not 4 years old! You need spiritual help FAST
Leasnam   Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:29 pm GMT
btw, 'just me' /'guest guest', you're really stupid. you know that? really. You fulfill the definition of 'stupid' in a way I never could. LOL, and I thought I was doing a'ight...
Buddy   Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:31 pm GMT
If I remember correctly, it was guest guest who said that in French all adjectives come after the noun, just like in all Romance language.

And if memory serves, it was PARISIEN or greg who corrected him by pointing out that some adjectives were forced into pre-position, like "bon", "joli", .

I also recall guest guest saying that the French prefix mes-, me'- was from Latin minus and cited Provencal mens- and Spanish menos- which was proved to be false as well.

So far, everything this gues gues guy has said was totally false. And I believe false on purpose.