do all Scottish, Irish and Welsh speak English?

Dànaidh MacilleDhuibh   Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:28 pm GMT
Every day I pray that the people in power in Scotland will do something about our true Scottish national language, Gàidhlig. The average person in Scotland is fairly ignorant ignorant about Gàidhlig. It is regarded as only a Highland and Islands language. It is only an everyday language in THESE areas because of erosion from English and/or "Scots"/ Lallans / Lowland "Scots" (also an germanic language). "Scots" developed from Anglic brought into the extreme South-East of Scotland by Angles who took over the area from the Cymric (Welsh) tribes native to Southern Scotland. Placenames prove that Gàidhlig was spoken in various degrees ALL over Scotland. It is due to English (and later British) cultural imperialism that Gàidhlig is in its current sorry state. A thousand years of this idea that English/"Scots" is somehow better/more civilised than Gàidhlig has lodged itself into the Scottish mindframe. Let us hope that this Scottish Parliament will FINALLY do something about it. Remember the so called "Scottish" Parliament in the 17thC outlawed Gàidhlig (or as these anglicised eejits called it "Erse"). I HOPE THAT THE SCOTTISH PARLIAMENT ADOPTS THE ATTITUDE OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY FOR WALES. I AM SURE SCOTLAND AND OUR PEOPLE WOULD BENEFIT FROM BEING BILINGUAL.

ALBA GU BRATH!
Adam   Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:43 pm GMT
"Dànaidh MacilleDhuibh"

That's a mouthful, that is.

Wouldn't it be easier for everyone to just call yourself Dan McDay?
Adam   Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:45 pm GMT
"and I have a hard time imagining anyone being able to drink more than what I've seen in England. "

Maybe you should go to Ireland. The irish are the biggest binge drinkers in Europe. Or maybe go to Scotland. The Jocks are famous for liking the odd drop of alcohol and for almost never being sober.

Just go anywhere as long as you're not in England.
rebeca   Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:31 am GMT
hello i am rebeca
Damian in London N2   Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:16 pm GMT
I would reply to Adam at this moment in time with some highly appropriate insults and suitably anti Sassenach diatribes simply because of his continual besmirching of the good name of us Scots with his vile slurs but I am so hammered out of my brain with alcoholic excess that I am utterly and totally incapable of typing out a single letter on a keyboard that refuses to come into focus.
Damian in East Finchley   Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:19 pm GMT
Ooops....meant to say hello to rebeca. Hello rebeca.
That's what comes of being under the affluence of incohol. Blame Adam.
sarah campbell   Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:44 pm GMT
hi my name is sara campbell and my family came from iriland .and i am amage that we irish dont speek at all like the english men.
Adam   Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:59 pm GMT
You're not Irish. You're ancestors just came from there.
Adam   Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:00 pm GMT
"Ooops....meant to say hello to rebeca. Hello rebeca.
That's what comes of being under the affluence of incohol. Blame Adam. "

It looks like it's true what they say about Scots and drunkenness.

Cut down on the whisky or the Tennants Super. Drink some weak American beer like Budweiser.
Franny   Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:14 am GMT
What are the welsh for.
meic   Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:11 pm GMT
franny you,ll never know you just live in your strange ignorant world,you must dream of being cymry, as for me i could'nt imagine being anything else-cymru am byth!
Riona   Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:39 am GMT
I've really enjoyed reading this thread because the original topic of the few Celtic people with limited English is intensely interesting to me. For the last several months I've been doing as much research as a busy American woman can do in her spare time specifically centering around the last Irish people of the above description. I've uncovered many cases of such people in our modern time and I'm looking for as many acounts as I can dig up. I appreciate the information that an anonamous guest left about grandparents in Donegal. If the anonamous guest in question or anyone else knows anything that might help me in my learning I'd very much like to hear from you.

Hoping the "exiled" Scot made it back home. :)

Go raibh maith agaibh

Le meas

Riona
Damian in London N2   Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 pm GMT
Riona:

Fàilte!

I'm not sure if there are any Celtic people left now who have a limited grasp of English, be it in Ireland, Scotland or Wales. They still use their respective Languages for everyday communication in parts of the three countries, but English is now universally used to full effect everywhere. Take it from me, Riona, in many cases to a higher standard than in England let me add! :-) I couldn't resist getting that one in.

I know that Irish is widely spoken in many parts of western and north western Ireland, such as Donegal. I went to Dublin on a day trip (from North Wales) earlier this year and so far that's my one and only time in Ireland, though I've seen it across the water from the Galloway coast of Scotland - fantastically clear across the North Channel one particular day.

My "exile" ends one week from tomorrow - the 20th......back home to Edinburgh for the foreseeable future. Whether I make it back to London again sometime soon on a permanent basis is totally up to me....Edinburgh and London both have their very great attractions in different ways.....a toss of a coin won't settle the issue and that's for sure! :-)

Good luck with your research.

Oidhche mhath.
Riona   Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:30 am GMT
Thanks for replying to me. I know that its rare to find them to be sure, but I know that Irish speakers in Ireland with limited English do exist. I've found enough acounts to be certain. I'm just looking for more instances if anyone can supply them. I don't know what I can or will do with the information I'm getting together. All I know is that the concept has captivated me and I just want to know all I can.

I appreciate anything that anyone has for me.

It sounds like you had lots of fun in London, that's grand.
mathew   Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:13 pm GMT
na dani gyd myn siarad saesneg coz dwin siarad cymraeg wan ndw lol :S