It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow

Rene   Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:13 pm GMT
Damian, British perceptions of Americans are quite a jumble aren't they? One minute we're polite bordering on false, the next we don't understand common curtesey. We're too clipped then we're too chatty. We're too liberal one moment, too conservative the next. Our customer service rocks and then it's annoying. Our movies are too cliche but gross at the top of your box offices.

Methinks Britain has a teenager's crush on America.
Antimooner K. T.   Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:52 pm GMT
I feel very sorry for the people in Britain. They seem to have lost their way. We're probably following them.
-Mjdt-   Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:35 pm GMT
Oh no, not more doom-mongering. Believe me, no country is more *aware* of its own demise than Britain. A poll recently said that nearly 1 in 4 would consider voting for the BNP. Here's the leader of the BNP before they decided to play politics and give themselves a PC makeover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X8QQwU00Jk&feature=related

There is possibly a potential that the mood could turn hostile if the popular media in Britain continually goes on, of which Damian's story is typical, about how things are falling apart at the seams when they actually aren't. Things aren't that rosy at the moment with the fallout from the credit crunch, but the standard of living here is still far higher than in many countries, so the complaining is quite out of proportion.
Robin Michael   Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:49 pm GMT
Dear Rene

I can tell from your spelling and grammar that you are not a native speaker. I cannot understand why you write as if have some knowledge of Briish opinions and attitudes.

<<

Rene Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:13 pm GMT
Damian, British perceptions of Americans are quite a jumble aren't they? One minute we're polite bordering on false,

>>

Methinks Rene does not know what he is talking about.
guuust   Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:05 pm GMT
Hahahahahah Robin YOU are the one who doesn't know anything. Rene's mark was SARCASTIC showing that Damian is inconsistent in his blabber and opinion of the USA.

Also, Rene seems perfectly native to me. Who are you to judge who is a native speaker? Remember, you didn't even know how to capitalise correctly until a few weeks ago! How old are you 30? 50? You went through your whole Life not knowing how to Capitalise or what?
Guest again   Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:47 am GMT
<No basis in historical fact? Now how would you know that then? Have you studied British Social History and written a thesis on everyday life in Britain during the Second World War and everything it entailed? I'm pretty damn sure my knowledge of what all the "historical facts" is infinitely more superior to yours>

Writing a thesis is no guarantee that one's knowledge is "infinitely more superior" to everybody else's, unfortunately.

If your statement had had any basis in historical fact, you would have produced evidence, instead of bluster.
Guest   Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:11 am GMT
<all the children of Britain were separated from their parents>

More inaccuracy and exaggeration.
Rene   Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:35 am GMT
I'm American born and bred, so perhaps the prestigious Robin Michael will insist I am not a native English speaker. At least Adam was funny when he insulted us all.

No, the comment was not serious, nor was it meant as an attack on Damian, whom I respect. It was merely a sarcastic remark on how odd stereotyping of all kinds can be.
Damian Perth Scotland   Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:35 pm GMT
To Rene - many thanks!

To Guest again:

***If your statement had had any basis in historical fact, you would have produced evidence***

Here is cast iron proof for those who have never actually studied British social history at university:

1:

"How We Lived Then"
A history of everyday life in Britain during the Second World War.
Author: Norman Longmate
Pub. by Hutchinson of London, 3 Fitzroy Square, London W1

All the information contained in this massive book (640 pages) is given by people who were alive at the time - the book was first published in 1971. Every kind of person was interviewed and invited to give their impressions from memory of what it was like to live on the British Home Front during that war - everything from the bombing blitz, the blackout, severe rationing and shortages of all kinds - and of course - the evacuation of children not only at the start of the war but also later on - from mid 1944 - when Britain was under attack by the "flying bombs" - the V1s (which always gave warning of their approach by the ghastly sound they made before the mechanism cut out and they crashed to earth in a massive explosion) and the V2 rockets which always arrived without any warning at all and exploded on impact with the ground with a devastation even worse than the V1s.

The names and locations of every single person who contributed to this book by relating all their memories and person circumstances are listed in this book.

2:

"The People's War"
Life in Britain between 1939 and 1945
Author: Angus Calder
Pub. by Jonathan Cape, 30 Bedford Square, London WC1
Another tome of 636 pages, and agan all contributions are made by ordinary people relating their experiences of all aspects of life during the same war.

A very comprehensive chapter on the evacuation of children and their re-settlement in the homes of total strangers in the safety of the "safe areas" at that time, including so many stories of their new lives away from their homes and families - some quite sad, and some hilariously funny.

Some actually became so attached to their "new mothers and fathers" that by the end of the war when it was time for them to return to their homes in the cities and towns (assuming their homes hadn't been destroyed or damaged in the bombings) and to their real parents (assuming they hadn't perished in the bombings) - only to find that their real parents had become "strangers" to them. That was so sad, but such was the tragedy of the time.

Of course, not ALL children were evacuated - it was all voluntary and people had the choice of allowing their children to be evacuated from all areas at greatest risk from bombing and aerial attacks to the comparative safety of the countryside and the more rural areas, but the majority of parents did not want their children to be exposed to such danger.

I suspect that many of these so called "Guests" or even "Guuests" or others who hide behind very dubious handles in this Forum are not particularly pleasant individuals......not to worry, as we say hereabouts....
Robin Michael   Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:53 pm GMT
I recently visited my Auntie Pam who told me about her experience of being evacuated during the War. I had heard various stories from my mother. The children went to stay with relations who lived just outside of London. So they were not staying with complete strangers. However Pam said that as an evacuee she had to pay higher fees at the local school. Consequently she returned to London to be with her parents.

I am a bit hazy about the details. My mother and my Grandmother often talked about this time in their lives. My mother used to have rabbits which she raised as a source of food. My Grandmother used to have buy food on the blank market for my Uncle Douglas who was a growing boy. This is all 'Dad's Army' material.
Unpleasant guest   Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:08 pm GMT
Thank you, Damian. This statement:

<Of course, not ALL children were evacuated - it was all voluntary and people had the choice of allowing their children to be evacuated from all areas at greatest risk from bombing and aerial attacks to the comparative safety of the countryside and the more rural areas>

sufficiently corrects your earlier statement:

<all the children of Britain were separated from their parents>
Unpleasant g again   Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:18 pm GMT
However, this part of your post:

<Here is cast iron proof for those who have never actually studied British social history at university...listed in this book>

provides no evidence whatsoever that "It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow"

<lifted the spirits of the British people at a time of great danger and strife and despair and strengthened their courage and fortitude>

Remember how many millions "the British people" consisted of, at that time.

Do you really imagine that particular song had exactly the same effect on all of them?
bigshaund   Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:58 pm GMT
Damian Perth Scotland,

Im very much interested to know where your facts on the Bunting case have come from, because what I read on your posting didnt half make me laugh!

You along with so many other people have unfortunately been sucked in by a man who just isnt telling the whole truth!

<<<"Police Constable Michael Bunting was called to a disturbance in a rough area of the city...he apprehended a violent thug and in the course of the ensuing struggle this man inflicted quite serious injuries on the policeman who suffered broken teeth, facial injuries and severe lacerations to other parts of his body. All the while he tried to use the minimum of force against this individual who continued to rain violent blows on him ">>>

Now I grew up in said area, so can understand why some would see it as rough. He didnt apprehend a violent thug unfortunately, and the ensuing struggle was mostly caused by PC Bunting's actions and his other colleagues. Bunting used extremely excessive force against an individual who was restrained, gassed and laid out on the road. Bunting was never in a position where he received violent blows nor were his injuries as extreme as he describes.

<<<"Other police officers were present at this affray in the street, but PC Bunting was being pushed to the limit by this violent criminal who, like his companions, had been caught in the act of lawbreaking in the first place - robbery of business premises.">>>

Now, Ive gotta say, the paragraph above made laugh the most!! How wrong could you be? Id love to hear where you heard this!
Police were called to a domestic disturbance between two men at a house in the area. The tenant was a lady caller, one of the men was her husband and the other man was his mate and also the so called attacker of PC Bunting.

<<<"In a desperate measure to arrest this man PC Bunting punched him in the chest as a means of restraining him. He finally managed to control him, arrest him and had him carted off down to the nick - that's Britslang for a police station. The man was eventually found guilty of attempted theft - and given a ludicrously low fine and had a community service order imposed on him......which he subsequently never actually carried out in full anyway.">>>

Now a crucial part of this tale which I think alot of people are unaware of is that Bunting was never going to arrest this man and vice versa the man hadnt done anything to be arrested for! Bunting was actually dealing with the tenants husband, who under arrest for drunken disorderly was dealing with the police co-operatively. It was actually PC Buntings next action that would set this whole bizarre series of events off and have people talking for the next 12 years!

Whilst Bunting dealt with the tenants husband he was approached by the man and asked politely dont arrest him, dont arrest him weve sorted it out. Bearing in mind the fight had actually died down by the time the police got there. Bunting asked the man to go away, to which he replied, dont arrest him mate, its sorted, dont arrest him (with no aggression). Buntings reply was somewhere along the lines of, F*%$ off or youll be arrested too. Buntings next action was to forcefully flat palm the man in the chest in an effort to push him away!

Now, heres where it gets interesting! The man DID assault Bunting for which he was rightly convicted of. But it wasnt the assault that Bunting is leading you all to believe.
The man took exception to Buntings attitude and push to the chest and took ONE, yes ONE, swing at Bunting. No violent blows, no senseless beating. Bunting launched himself at the man getting into a struggle with him and quick as a flash the man was mobbed by up to 8 police officers holding various parts of his body. A female PC shouted gas, gas and they all moved as the man was sprayed with CS and then they continued to restrain him. Buntings excessive force during this struggle was witnessed by numerous residents, who ive heard he would describe as "looking to get one over on the police" and it was also witnessed by his colleagues, two of which had the bravery to stand up and say what he did was wrong! One of the senior officers actually shouted on that night, "calm down mick, youve gone too far".

<<<"Before all this took place PC Bunting (who was aged 23 at the time of the incident) had had an exemplary record as a brave and resourceful police officer.">>>

Now the above statement might be true, but it was also mentioned by a senior officer that he had done something similar to this previously.

I hope you read this and pass it on to others as whats written here is a far more true account than what you are all been led to believe.

The truth will out!
PC Bunting   Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:21 pm GMT
Right! You're fucking nicked me old beauties!
Caspian   Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:48 pm GMT
I did a quick search on the Internet. This page seems to suggest that Damian's story is true:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/09/28/michael-bunting-endured-every-cop-s-worst-nightmare-being-banged-up-in-jail-with-criminals-115875-20758500/

Now I want you to find a page to back up your story.