Should American English be called "American"?

Kamikaze   Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:10 am GMT
Belgian Dutch is called "Flemish" and Romanian language spoken in Moldova is called "Moldovan".

Shouldn't American English be called "American"?
twer   Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:18 am GMT
I think the language as a whole should be called American. So not only do Americans speak American, but British and Australians too.
Guest   Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:03 am GMT
No, because it is the same language as the one spoken in England.
Robin Michael   Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:14 pm GMT
There seems to be a similar confusion relating to Irish English.

What do people mean by Irish?

Does it mean something that does not make sense?
Carioca   Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:56 pm GMT
Total number of speakers does count:

English = US English
Portuguese = Brazilian Portuguese

There are good English-Portuguese dictionaries with no British words (like lorry) or Portuguese words (like autocarro). They are made for US&Brazilian market, and sell quite well.
Robin Michael   Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:07 pm GMT
English comes from Eng-er-land!

Portugese comes from Portugal.

Just facts
Caspian   Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:34 pm GMT
<< What do people mean by Irish? >> They mean the language which is called Irish, one of the two Gaelic languages.

Yes, it should be called American!
Gallego   Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:31 pm GMT
Portugese comes from Portugal.
-
It does not, but from Galicia.
Antimooner K. T.   Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:17 pm GMT
I read what the cousins from across the pond write, and I understand it.
Granted, sometimes it's way weird and quirky, but it's largely intelligible.
It's my language. I knew this even as a child when I heard Alistair Cooke speak. I just thought British people were wealthier than us, I never thought that it wasn't my language.

Of course now I've heard British accents from different social groups and I know that all British people are not wealthier than I am, live in castles, etc.

I still think the Scots are a wild bunch, though.
Uriel   Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:27 pm GMT
Are we going to start calling the German spoken in Austria Austrian? Are we now going to have Mexican, Bolivian, and Uruguayan, too? Will we be publishing Canadian-to-American dictionaries next? I mean, seriously. C'mon.
Caspian   Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:59 am GMT
<< I know that all British people are not wealthier than I am >>

Deos this mean 'no British people are wealthier than I am' or 'not all British people are wealthier than I am'?

And some of us are ;) lol
BCMS   Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:00 pm GMT
It happened in Yugoslavia, you know. And elswhere.
Moar   Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:40 pm GMT
will we be publishing Canadian-to-American dictionaries next? I mean, seriously.

---
Canadian Oxford Dictionary is different than
American Oxford Dictionary

;)
Uriel   Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:31 am GMT
Yes, but they don't require a dual language version, do they? Which they would if we really considered Canadian and American to be two separate languages.
Antimooner K. T.   Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:38 am GMT
"Deos this mean 'no British people are wealthier than I am' or 'not all British people are wealthier than I am'?

You are perceptive, my dear cousin from across the pond. I did not write that well.

I note that you did not put a comma after "Deos", a word that undoubtedly means "God" in some language. I'm not that wealthy.

No, I know you just made a typo. Hey, if you are wealthier than I am, I don't mind. It's good to have kinfolk with money.