Should American English be called "American"?

Uriel   Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:11 am GMT
Thanks, A KT. I've having to learn it crash-course-style, so every bit helps.
South Korean   Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:53 pm GMT
South Korean and North Korean are considered the same language, although there are nearly no mutual interaction, except for when it is needed to distinguish one from another.

And clearly, American/British Englishs and Metropolitan/Quebecois Frenches are much similar languages than are South/North Koreans.
Beathag   Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:49 am GMT
The real question should be:
If we are going to call American English something new, what would be way cooler than "American"? ;-)
Though really, English is English. Don't let slang convince you otherwise. I have been just as mystified by things they say up in the northern states lol.
Antimooner K. T.   Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:03 am GMT
Uriel,
Don't forget the languages forum here if you need help.☺
Uriel   Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:55 am GMT
You know what I've been doing to help me learn? Just googling random topics so that I have to read whole pages and articles in Spanish. If they are on an interesting subject, I pay more attention and take more of an interest in looking up unfamiliar words, plus it forces me to learn the weird little idioms and expressions. I use Babel Fish to help out, but man, don't bother with that page translation feature -- it's almost as hard to read as the original Spanish! I have a grammar site bookmarked so that I can look up verb conjugations and all that, too -- espanol goes a little overboard with all those verb endings, in my humble opinion. And God I hate lo and le and all the rest of those let's-just-pop-it-in-here-for-no-good-reason wordlets.

I also cheat at work by simply asking everyone who speaks Spanish -- which is about 80% of my coworkers -- "So how would you say ____?" For whatever reason, their answers stick in my mind better than all the grammar exercises in the world!
Antimooner K. T.   Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:33 am GMT
You might like LingQ's approach then.
Guest   Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:55 am GMT
And God I hate lo and le and all the rest of those let's-just-pop-it-in-here-for-no-good-reason wordlets.

Don't complain. Other Romance languages like Italian is much worse at that.
guest   Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:28 pm GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_rXxi0zhM

flight of the conchords on racism