European and American Cultural Differences

Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:12 am GMT
Very briefly here - I am very interested in social trends here in the UK and there is no doubt at all that there now exists a generation of young women in this country in which many of them really believe they are "entitlement princesses" who have rights but no responsibilities and are exempt from personalaccountability, and think they can do as they please and say as the please a good deal of the time.

They are often facilitated in this belief by many aspects of the law in this country, following 30 years or so of an active feminist movement, which in many ways has granted privilege to women in so many ways often at the expense of men. Cases in point are marriage breakdown, divorce settlements, child custody, child and spouse maintenance via the Child Support Agency and the blatantly discriminatory anti-male Family Law Courts. Even penal sentencing for exactly the same criminal offences is heavily weighted in favour of females.

TV advertisements regularly portray males in a very negative light - men are freqientky seen as being stupid, ignorant and boorish.

One such featured a woman boasting that her new kind of oven cleaning device was so easy even a man could use it. Thousands of complaints, mostly from men, to the UK Advertising Standards Authority were dismissed out of hand and the ad still runs on TV.

A Home Improvements company ran an ad for a domestic implement of some kind, looking as if it was quite difficult to set up and operate was in fact so easy to run that even a woman or a child could use it. After just three complaints the ad was pulled after just a couple of showings.

Many young girls entering into marriage or live in relationships have no interest in either cooking or domestic chores and as for cooking they show no inclination whatsover to learn, and most believe that all domestic diutiues should be shared "equally" between the woman and the man, whatever the circumstances.

The food problem is often solved by ready made meals from the supermarkets, which need nothing in the way of preparation other than being bunged in the microwave and having the appropriate keys pressed.

One of my colleagues has been married for almost four years now - he is about two years younger than I am and he is constantly complaining about his English wife, who is two years his junior. He works all the hours God sends, while she was madwe redundant about a year or so ago due to the recession, so he became the sole breadwinner. They have no kids, as yet anyway.

She is apparently of the opinion that he has to "take care of her" - which he does via the regular payments into their bank account of his monthly salary and other increments or whatever....anyway, he earns the dosh.

He tells me that when he gets home at the end of the day she is either watching TV or chatting to her friends on the phone and nothing has been done about his dinner, and all too often he has to start cooking it, which is probably all to the good as he says he is a much better cook than she is anyway.

He knows for a fact that she watches daytime TV a lot of the time when she isn't out in the shopping centres with her friends or having coffee and cakes or whatever.

Quite often at the weekends he has to go about doing cleaning and tidying up in the house, or so he says, something which surely has to be her domain, especially as she has neither a job nor kids to look after. But she has always maintained that all domestic chores should be shared equally between the two parties to the marriage!

Hardly a case of "equality" there you ust agree! Poor bloke - no wonder so many British men are looking to the Far East for more reasonable marriage prospects.

It's quite significant that daytime TV in the UK is largely made up of programs which largely feature women, including such programs as "The Jeremy Kyle Show" "The Trisha Goddard Show" and "Loose Women", all of which have almost exclusively female audiences in the studios, not to mention similar American TV shows on some of the other digital channels...all shown during the day.

How come so many women have the time to sit down during the day and watch all this crap on TV?

Quite honestly I cant see my colleagues' marriage lasting much longer at this rate as he tels me he is now virtually at the end of his tether, pissed up to the back teeth.

I don't think for one single nano second that HE is being the selfish one, do you?
Jasper   Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:24 am GMT
"How come so many women have the time to sit down during the day and watch all this crap on TV?"

" don't think for one single nano second that HE is being the selfish one, do you? "

Damian: Point 1: At least in America, women don't have that kind of time anymore. A two-earner household has become the norm.

Point 2: I wasn't referring to you being selfish, rather the other straight guys on the board.

Personally, I'd rather have a woman with whom I can share inteligent discourse to rather than a woman to whom I say,"Gimme a sandwich, woman."

I agree with you that, sometimes, feminism can be taken too far. I heard about an English show called Bring Your Husband To Heel. At first, I thought the idea wis hilarious, but then I realized....that's taking it much too far...
irksome infidel   Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:21 am GMT
<<I agree with you that, sometimes, feminism can be taken too far. I heard about an English show called Bring Your Husband To Heel. At first, I thought the idea wis hilarious, but then I realized....that's taking it much too far... >>

One solution to feminism in the UK (and elsewhere): Radical Islam and Sharia Law. No more "gender equality", "womens lib", etc..

Of course, it's unclear how gays would fare once a radical form of Eurabia came to pass. I seem to recall that two of the four choices given them are dismemberment and being bisected with a sword. I don't think being stoned to death or burning alive were options, but neither was simple beheading.
Shariette   Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 am GMT
Isn't homosexuality allowed in Muslim countries as long as they are married and have children?
Jasper   Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 am GMT
Infidel:

Geez! Radical Islam is pure slavery.

Isn't there a spot in the middle?
How about equal partners?
Rene   Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:52 am GMT
From what I've seen, there are as many male 'entitlement princesses' in the world as female. Personally, I'd put work ethic in the very top rung of things to look for in a potential partner, because anyone who is missing it will only cause you grief. That goes for men and women.
Uriel   Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:27 am GMT
Having once had a boyfriend who didn't work a single day in the ahem, far too many years we were together, I gotta agree with you on that one, Rene. I think the Offspring have a pretty good song about the equal opportunity status of both genders of opportunists.
Vinlander   Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:18 pm GMT
There are two reasons men like asian women. One is that the relationship lack cultural bs. I have to be the man but still be heat. It's a simple equal 1+m=1 well jeez i think women might be missing something there? a man is has to be two things both a man and a equal women just have to be a equal a rather unfare equation if you ask me.

The other more simple part is for whatever reason asian people seemto age slower. They keep youthful features longer and prominently feminine features. Also factoring into this are the fact asian's are rarely over weight and to get a babe in asia is much easier due to higher population.

The rest of it is on asian women. Asian women without cultural bs get what women want,, a man. They view western men as bigger more masculine and richers. Add to that they are treated very well relative to asian men and it's no mystery.

Just think if you could have a relationship where culture is attraction, instead of the expectations of the culture getting in the way of everything.

The problem is woman present unrealistic values as a culture. They don't wanna choose between having a man or a equal yet expect to be treated as equal. I mean come on do you think men drive the fashion industry, not likely, men are content with fucking paper bags.

If women would simple use m+e=f+e we would be fine but they keep trying to force a unbalanced equation m+e=e
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 pm GMT
I don't know what's happened to the London versus Paris thread - it must have been scuttled and sunk somewhere in the middle of the English Channel / La Manche half way between the Shakespeare Cliff above Dover and Cap Gris Nez, just along the coast from Calais.

Anyway, I admit to suffering the occasional pang of longing to be back down in London again as I love that city to bits.....it's in my soul......almost as much as my own home city is.

And much as I adore London and most of the London people I have met and got to know so well down there there is one thing the London people simply cannot do properly, and that's singing!

Listen to this lot attempting "Hey Jude" in Trafalgar Square for instance..I was working in London at the time this was filmed but I wasn't contributing to this "performance" and that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orukqxeWmM0&feature=related
Wintereis   Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:06 am GMT
<<Listen to this lot attempting "Hey Jude" in Trafalgar Square for instance..I was working in London at the time this was filmed but I wasn't contributing to this "performance" and that's for sure.>>

Yes, it seems the only person with a voice in the groop is the American, but that is really not an apt comparison. You could get the same number of Americans and put them next to Elton John, and they would be as bad.