Why are Germans among the worst speakers of English?

English-Deutsch   Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:57 pm GMT
<<Because of Deunglisch>>

do you mean "Gleutsch"? ([en]Gleutsch?)
marika   Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:03 am GMT
<<Many Germans don't realize that you cannot learn a foreign language correctly, if you don't have a good command of your own mother tongue.>>

I assume that you heart that somewhere? 'cause I can assure you that we're able to speak our mother language perfectly well, though there are quite a lot foreigners living here who are everything but fluent in German... but this isn't a German problem and it hasn't anything to do with native speakers.
Ellebore   Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:10 pm GMT
I have often gone to Germany, and i can assure that a lot of people speak a good english, young or old people. It has come in the mores more than other countries.
But when they don't speak english, the german always want to pronunce foreign words with a foreign accent, like if they wouldn't want to "adopt" the word (ex: "coca cola coke" pronouced withe an english accent in MacDonalds stores, the same with Mac Flurry - and exactly with the english "r"...). Even with the french words, they seem to do the same.
Caitlyn   Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:22 pm GMT
Germans speak okay English, but so many people speak German that they don't need to learn English to survive.
Have you met an average person who speaks Dutch? I haven't.
However in Netherlands I met Dutch people who spoke English better than most of the stupid people I know. English speakers are generally dumb as rocks. They can't speak their own language, nor properly use their own grammar.
Germans are generally quite proud to be German. Their pride is comparable to that of Les États-Unis . Or even the Quebecois (linguistic pride).
People from Quebec speak by far the WORST English of anyone. I met a girl who was from Taiwan and spoke Hakka who spoke better English than the average Quebecois.
Most foreign people are embarrassed by their accent when they speak English. But people from Quebec ham up their accent even more when speaking English. That's mostly due to their disdain for the rest of Canada's ways of doing things.
Countries, or linguistic populations, that consider themselves superior generally speak any other language horribly. They will butcher that language with pride.
Thor   Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:27 pm GMT
"I have often gone to Germany, and i can assure that a lot of people speak a good english, young or old people. It has come in the mores more than other countries. "

Wrong. This is a "cliché" about them. In fact, the most of germans i've ever seen speak a very bad english (like me eh eh...), or not english at all. Maybe a confusion with dutch people, or Scandinavians.
Drumupbusiness   Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 pm GMT
Germans may well be the weakest speakers of English in the Germanic world, but they speak English way way uber way better compared to the various Eastern and Southern lower races of Europe.

It is highly impossible that a Deutchlander could say the words: hand, finger, wild, wolf, wonder, butter, father, gold, hundred, thousand, holm, hair, blood, wind, behold, fucking, land, ground, sea, field, hound, lift, cliff, room, house, old, god, good, wise, pool, stall, cool, king, apple, holt, oxen, vixen, women, white, bright, swarth, fight, alight, betwixt, weather, hen, craft, work, water, breast, world, church, book, flesh, dream, knight, right, half, cold, pound, penny, farthing, shilling, crown, sterling, sour, heart, swarm, shift, soul, free etc etc etc worst then non-Germanic Europeans.
Raven   Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm GMT
"they speak English way way uber way better compared to the various Eastern and Southern lower races of Europe. "

Better than your mother's germanic ass ?..
Deitmar Gunnter   Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:38 pm GMT
Shut up you pidjin ingoleesh speaking non-Germanic undermensch.
* * *   Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:21 pm GMT
"hand, finger, wild, wolf, wonder, butter, father, gold, hundred, thousand, holm, hair, blood, wind, behold, fucking, land, ground, sea, field, hound, lift, cliff, room, house, old, god, good, wise, pool, stall, cool, king, apple, holt, oxen, vixen, women, white, bright, swarth, fight, alight, betwixt, weather, hen, craft, work, water, breast, world, church, book, flesh, dream, knight, right, half, cold, pound, penny, farthing, shilling, crown, sterling, sour, heart, swarm, shift, soul, free etc"

The problem is just that Germanic words are butchered beyond any recognition par the degenerate English pronounciation.

The right question should be:
"How come the Anglo bastards are the most inept speakers of Germanic?"
Drumupbusiness   Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 pm GMT
Bollocks, most of all those words happen to be even more similar in Dutch then in Deutch. Are the Dutch also Germanic wordslaughterers and bastards?
* * *   Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:10 pm GMT
Die englische Aussprache ist ganz ausgefallen, vollständig abnormal.

Aber das können die Inselaffen nicht begreifen.

Ihr seid die Schande der Familie.

Inselaffen...
fraz   Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:30 am GMT
Considering that Germany is a huge economy and tens of millions of German citizens have little practical use for English on a regular basis, they fare quite well. Certainly, it is easier to get around with English in Germany than is the case in other large European nations such as France, Spain or Italy.
Darwin   Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:07 pm GMT
deutschermichel   Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:40 pm GMT
are german men handymen or are they nobodies?
every german man has a handy in his pocket,that makes him a "wanker"!!!

nur ein dummer DEUTSCHER spricht "DENGLISH"

www.deutschermichel.com
Franco   Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:46 pm GMT
<<Considering that Germany is a huge economy and tens of millions of German citizens have little practical use for English on a regular basis, they fare quite well. Certainly, it is easier to get around with English in Germany than is the case in other large European nations such as France, Spain or Italy.

>>

Very true. Perhaps some peole expect that the Germans speak English as well as the Dutch or Scandinavians. They don't but that does not mean that they are the worst speakers of English either-