Why are Germans among the worst speakers of English?

John   Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:16 pm GMT
Yes, English skills are necessary for survival in Germany for anyone who expects to find a decent job. Germany may have a large population but it also happens to be one of the worlds largest exporters as well, and as I implied in my last post, if they need to communicate with people in non-German speaking countries they are going to need to do so in English. It is considers a required skill right up there with being able to read and write and perform basic maths functions.
rep   Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:56 pm GMT
<<Germany may have a large population but it also happens to be one of the worlds largest exporters as well...>>
German must be an official language of United Nations organization.
Jo   Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:31 pm GMT
I have family in Germany and my cousin's boyfriend is 19 years old and just finished school. When we watched a DVD, my cousin asked him if we can watch the DVD in English because it will be easier for me to understand. His reply was... I can't really understand English. Even after taking English in school for so many years. The main reason being in Germany, English is not really used and he never gets the chance to practise English.

So even though he can read a bit of English, he can't really understand it because he never speaks English to anyone. All Hollywood films in Germany get's dubbed into German... so he does not get any exposure to English. Unless he goes abroad to the UK, he does not hear any English in his town. You don't even need English to be successful in Germany but it does help. So even though they do get English classes if they don't practise it they soon forget it.

Because you can learn a language for 10 years but if you don't practise it or hear it often you lose it. It's like playing the piano, you can get piano classes for ten years but if you never practise it, you will never get to master it.
JJ   Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:35 pm GMT
So basically German is the biggest native language in Europe, they are not dependent on English as much as smaller nations are (eg. Denmark or Holland). You can live your whole life in Germany, be successful and never speak a word of English.
REP   Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:57 pm GMT
<<All Hollywood films in Germany get's dubbed into German... so he does not get any exposure to English. >> Are German films dubbed into English in Great Britain or USA?
fraz   Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:03 pm GMT
<<Yes, English skills are necessary for survival in Germany for anyone who expects to find a decent job. Germany may have a large population but it also happens to be one of the worlds largest exporters as well, and as I implied in my last post, if they need to communicate with people in non-German speaking countries they are going to need to do so in English. It is considers a required skill right up there with being able to read and write and perform basic maths functions>>

Fair enough, but not every job involves dealing with overseas customers. Most Germans don't use English in their everyday lives and their skills become rusty.

You are correct when you say that English is now considered a fundamental subject at school and many people under the age of 30 have a decent amount of English. However, rural areas and large parts of the former East Germany are populated mainly by German monoglots.
fraz   Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:15 pm GMT
<<Even after taking English in school for so many years. The main reason being in Germany, English is not really used and he never gets the chance to practise English.

So even though he can read a bit of English, he can't really understand it because he never speaks English to anyone. All Hollywood films in Germany get's dubbed into German... so he does not get any exposure to English. Unless he goes abroad to the UK, he does not hear any English in his town. You don't even need English to be successful in Germany but it does help. So even though they do get English classes if they don't practise it they soon forget it>>

Sounds about right. My wife has family in Germany and we go there a couple of times a year. I have never heard my parents-in-law utter a word of English, they can't, they didn't get any English at school.

Even my brothers and sisters in law - people in their 20s - will not speak English with me. They can manage a few broken sentences at best. I don't have a problem with that. If I'm in their country and they want to speak German to me then I'm happy with that. It's great free tuituon for me.

Now this is in a small town, I know that things are different in the major cities but there are people who seem to believe that all Germans are capable of speaking English and happy to do so. I know from personal experience that that isn't the case.
question   Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:18 pm GMT
Are French people among the best speakers of English?
AN S W ER   Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:48 pm GMT
No French and Spanish people are amongst the worst speakers of English.
.   Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:36 pm GMT
Scandinavians and Dutch are the best non-native speakers of English, because English is a dialect of Dutch and the Scandinavians are our near-kinsmen.

Hoo-HAH
,   Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:02 pm GMT
haha, good one!
Caspian   Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:07 pm GMT
<< Are French people among the best speakers of English? >>

The best speakers of English are, besides native speakers, the Scandinavians and the Dutch. However, French people also speak pretty good English, in my opinion.
Bogan   Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:54 pm GMT
<<So basically German is the biggest native language in Europe, they are not dependent on English as much as smaller nations are (eg. Denmark or Holland). You can live your whole life in Germany, be successful and never speak a word of English. >>

It depends on what area you want to be successful in. Sure there are jobs that you don't need English, but even so, there are just as many that do require it. Hence it would be a crime not to teach children English intensively, as you would be essentially cutting their opportunities in half.

It is pretty much taken as given that a university level person can read English. Maybe not understand colloquial spoken English, but definitely read it. An example: a friend of mine studied technical subjects at a German university. Most of the required texts are in English. Nobody blinks an eyelid. In some postgraduate classes there are even guest professors from English speaking countries who give their classes in English only. They don't warn students that the classes will be in English, it's just a given.
fraz   Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:16 am GMT
<<It is pretty much taken as given that a university level person can read English. Maybe not understand colloquial spoken English, but definitely read it. An example: a friend of mine studied technical subjects at a German university. Most of the required texts are in English. Nobody blinks an eyelid. In some postgraduate classes there are even guest professors from English speaking countries who give their classes in English only. They don't warn students that the classes will be in English, it's just a given. >>

But that is wrong. University education in Germany should be conducted through the medium of German. Nobody should have to read a textbook in English, unless we are talking about English language courses. People in the UK/US wouldn't accept a visiting lecturer speaking only French or German.
fraz   Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:16 am GMT
<<It is pretty much taken as given that a university level person can read English. Maybe not understand colloquial spoken English, but definitely read it. An example: a friend of mine studied technical subjects at a German university. Most of the required texts are in English. Nobody blinks an eyelid. In some postgraduate classes there are even guest professors from English speaking countries who give their classes in English only. They don't warn students that the classes will be in English, it's just a given. >>

But that is wrong. University education in Germany should be conducted through the medium of German. Nobody should have to read a textbook in English, unless we are talking about English language courses. People in the UK/US wouldn't accept a visiting lecturer speaking only French or German.