Liverpool accent

Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:22 am GMT
Perhaps I'm not really British at all and I've been having you on all the time, the truth being that I have lived in Kazahkstan all my life and have never left it in all of my (nearly) 28 years.....

No, living a lie is not my style - I'm as Scottish as a tot of Glenfiddich and a finnan haddie and I reckon I've acquired a pretty extensive knowledge about this country - the UK - from John o'Groats all the way down to the Lizard point and Land's End and a whole lot of Britannica in between. In spite of its flaws and failings I love every precious square millimetre of it.

Dunwich - what I said about this coastal village in Suffolk is what I had learned about it and my post came straight out of my head - much of old Dunwich HAS been claimed by the sea in the past - it's on the east coast of England for heaven's sake and surely we all know that coastal erosion by high tides and periodic sea surges is a very serious problem. In some places buildings and dwellings that were once a mile or so mile inland from the shore are now teetering on the edge of sheer cliff faces with the pounding surf below eager to swallow them up in due course with no effective preventative measures being taken.

Dunwich, Suffolk, England - an "abandoned community"! A mini Atlantis it seems, much like the fabled "Cantre'r Gwaelod* in Cardigan Bay off the coast of West Wales - reputedly another community overwhelmed by the sea. As in Dunwich many local people claim to hear the ringing of the church bells long since submerged beneath the waves - usually on their way home from the pub on a stormy night.....

http://www.abandonedcommunities.co.uk/page11.html

The suffix "wich" - the Latin "vic" referred to a dairy farm, but by the time of the Domesday Book the "wich" in place names DID in fact refer to salt workings in the area, as at Droitwich (Worcestershire) and at Middlewich and Northwich and Nantwich (all in Cheshire).

I'm really not sure about other "wich" places, such as the lovely Sandwich, in Kent, and we all know that Harwich, in Essex, is a port from which ferries sail back and forth to the nearby Continent.

The history of British places names and their derivation is a very interesting topic in itself. Each place name has a history almost as long as the hills and dales and pasturelands surrounding them. Have you ever seen the fascinating medieval ridge and furrow effect in many of the fields of this country? They are particularly noticeable in the East Midlands of England.

Now pick holes in all of this......more airy fairy pie in the sky?

*Clychau Cantre'r Gwaelod" - literally the bells of the churches of this drowned community, probably linked to the bells of Aberdovey, a small seaside town which exists today on the same stretch of coastline on Cardigan Bay, which is where most of the people live and who claim to be able to hear the submerged bells ringing on a stormy night or see strange sights hovering over the dark waves crashing onto the rocks....wraiths and spirts of long dead souls who were drowned by the sea surges. The Welsh are very imaginative people.....perhaps given to flights of fancy now and again and they do speak a language reputed to be the oldest in Europe.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:40 am GMT
Alright - King Edward VI - true, he was the longed for son of Henry VIII courtesy of Jane Seymour, and he did not die in infancy but he certainly didn't survive beyond the age of 16 years - he was a sickly lad most of the time and died in 1553.

Please remember that I am Scottish, and all these events took place while Scotland was an entirely separate country from England - wholly independent of England with a monarchy of its own, so I am far, far more familiar with Scottish history than I am with the history of England and its rulers.

Scotland was not completely united with England until 1707, while Wales "suffered the same fate" much earlier - in 1536, I think it was, off hand. Now I suppose I will be corrected on that one too! ;-)

Guid nicht!
H.   Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:35 am GMT
<true, he was the longed for son of Henry VIII courtesy of Jane Seymour, and he did not die in infancy but he certainly didn't survive beyond the age of 16 years - he was a sickly lad most of the time and died in 1553. >

But of course Henry VIII couldn't have known that, since he died in 1547; which rather undermines your original assertion.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:33 pm GMT
Right.....then let's leave history up on the shelf for now then.....I reckon we all went off on a wee bit of a bender again didn't we.....nae matter...and just for now let's travel a fair bit north of Liverpool, cross the Scottish border and head for Glasgow...what a good idea!

No Scouse accent there and that's for sure...instead it's Glaswegian, and here is a lad from Glasgow sounding off about the increasing use of Americanisms here in guid auld Blighty....hark at the way he pronounces the word "pharmacy".....stressing the last syllable, making it sound like the name for a place up in the Highlands......PharmASSY....it's a Glesca thing.

The Limmy Show? What's that when it's at home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIRwtRSp4I
Damian in Limmyland   Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:39 pm GMT
Nobody come up with an answer to the Limmy Show yet?

Shame on you...you just havenae lived!

Come to Scotland and you'll find out.....
Oxwich   Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:49 pm GMT
"The suffix "wich" - the Latin "vic" referred to a dairy farm, but by the time of the Domesday Book the "wich" in place names DID in fact refer to salt workings in the area, as at Droitwich (Worcestershire) and at Middlewich and Northwich and Nantwich (all in Cheshire)."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damian you keep getting the truth keel-up! Only five effing UK towns carry this so-called 'wich' ending from vic/salt. 99% of British 'wich' place names are from 'haven' and 'diary farm' nothing to do with so-called salt-wiches like Droitwich and Nantwich.

Even within these Saltwichlands, places like Shirleywich, Netherwich, Bloxwich, Hammerwich and Bromwich etc, are from wic NOT vic. Actually the whole saltvic thingy is a big spin. Droitwich, Middlewich, Northwich, Nantwich and Leftwich are from wic not vic. PS Dunwich is NOT abandoned!
here to the river wear   Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:53 am GMT
Berwick Northumberland might be Ber-ick but Alnwick Northumberland is Aln-wick not Aln-ick

------------

Bollocks, Alnwick is always pronounced Ann-Ick...
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:28 am GMT
Oh for heaven's sake!!! ALNWICK, the official County Town of the most north-easterly county of England - Northumberland - bordering onto my own country of Scotland.

For the written Alnwick say the verbal Ann-ick and let us have done with this crap once and for all.

It's ANN-ICK! Listen to the locals why don't you...like the individua; in this YT clip. Pronounce the name any other way to any one of the locals and you will be corrected in no uncertain terms!

As a Scot I knew how to pronounce ALNWICK from my early school days before I even went to this very attractive wee town with it's massive castle and it's fortified battlements.

As it's so close to the Scottish border it has been the scene of many Anglo-Scottish skirmishes over the centuries, much like its close neighbour BERWICK-UPON-TWEED (Say it as BERR-ick and you'll be fine, otherwise don't even bother to go there) - even closer to the border and the scene of even more cross-border clashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WGWvqYE1zY&feature=related
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:44 am GMT
Let's leave Alnwick behind now and head much further south and back to Liverpool again.......here is a group of people being interviewed at Liverpool Street train station in London (the name of this London rail terminus is co-incidental but there may well be a connection with the Scouseland city)...listen out for the Scouse (Liverpool) accent among the predominant Estuary London accents as they comment on the T-Mobile dance routine on the station concourse...it's unmistakeable to British ears and perhaps also to foreigners who have heard old recordings of the speaking voices of the Beatles or, currently, that of footballers such as Stephen Gerrard among others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jv6rHJiNhQ&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=56C9E68B0EF0EB18