Languages in India

Maadava   Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:31 am GMT
What do you say is the most significant/influential language in India? I'd say it's Hindi in the north, and English in the South. What do you think is the future of the myriad native tongues?
rep   Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:30 pm GMT
Hindi/Telugu/Tamil
?   Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:35 pm GMT
Is it easy to learn Hindi language?
Vinlander   Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:32 pm GMT
? Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:35 pm GMT
Is it easy to learn Hindi language?

about the same as learning russian i'd think so i'd say hard.
?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:26 pm GMT
:(
Galego   Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:15 pm GMT
wo wirst du denn wohnen?

im süden bringt es nichts hindi zu lernen
Baldewin   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:35 pm GMT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_languages_of_India#Union_Territories
Here's in interesting Wiki page.

English serves only a communicative and instructional purpose or is it really become a cultural language there as well?
Baldewin   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:36 pm GMT
*an
*has it really

Not a good day.
Paul   Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:39 am GMT
Before English arrived in India, how did they communicate with each other?

Was there a common, or at least a more dominant language?
gland   Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:54 am GMT
The same way the different tribes of Africa, South East Asia, North America talked to eachoter... They probably new enough of their nearest neighbour or the local dominating tribe's language, and that's all. There was no idea of India, the British just drew lines on a map, without any consideration for who lived where
c0w   Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 am GMT
Which has the most chance of becoming a real lingua franca in India, Hindi or English? Would English ever surplant the languages of India to become the household language?
Baldewin   Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:57 am GMT
I don't think that is likely to happen anytime soon. In Central and West Africa where French is becoming the household language easier because most of the local language aren't even developed enough to be written enough, let alone be read. In India there's a lot of extreme poverty and lack of education as well, but language like Hindi, Bengali, Gujurati, etc... were already developed before the British arrived and were beyond the tribal stage already which makes their speakers only need English as a second language.

Especially Hindi/Urdu and Bengali are very strong languages IMO with a great potential.
Maadava   Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 pm GMT
I don't English is going to easily overcome the local languages. Most of them are very strong, and have an older history and literature than English. But, most people are admirably fluent in English as it serves as a link language, and is very necessary to communicate internationally.
Baldewin   Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:48 pm GMT
Yes, as second language, but will the mother tongue speakers who make up half a million be able to wipe off indigenous languages like Hindi/Urdu? They're to big and far too many people are literate and increasing. Not all cultures have a tradtion of monoglottery, remember that.
Baldewin   Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 pm GMT
Like you said, I meant. English will continue playing a major role, until it would decline at a certain point (if it would ever).