Euro state names etymology

Rolland Charlemagnesson   Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 pm GMT
No, 'Tolosa' is meaning contraction of the Germanic 'Tøll-hus'

Viking called Erac/Eric from Germanic city of Bergerac (Berg of Erac/Eric) give name of Tolhouse/Toulouse too. Scandinavian settlers also make 'Albi' (Almund's-by)

Bordeaux is from Boers/farmer's waters Waters of the Boer / Boerswater / Bor d' eaux
ha   Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:14 pm GMT
I think the kid is above is kidding because he's always trying to exaggerate the Germanic influence of French. It's kind of hard to tell whether he's being sarcastic and making fun of overly nationalistic people, or if he's actually that crazy and believes what he's saying.

But anyway, Toledo was known as Toletum in Roman times, which was long before the Visigoths even got to Spain. And Bordeaux was known as Burdigala during the Roman empire. Toulouse was Tolosa, which many researchers believe is connected to Aquitanian, an old language related to Basque. And Segovia, as it was still known in Roman times, hence before any Germanic incursion, was probably of Celtic origin.
Berg-erick?   Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:32 am GMT
What about the Germanic explanation for 'Bergerac' 'Berg of Erac/Eric/Erick' or 'Erick's Berg'?
.   Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:11 am GMT
that one might be true. i dunno, i haven't found any info about it. all i know is that's where cyrano de bergerac was from lol
Franco   Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:14 am GMT
<<And Bordeaux was known as Burdigala >>

Maybe it's related to river Burdalo in Spain.
PARISIEN   Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 am GMT
<< What about the Germanic explanation for 'Bergerac' 'Berg of Erac/Eric/Erick' or 'Erick's Berg'? >>

-- It was an obvious joke!

'Bergerac' originates from a Celtic word for "trouser maker", from Germanic/Celtic root 'breg-', 'brag-' (hence Lat. 'bracca', Eng. 'breeches', Fr. 'braies' etc.)
minstrel   Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:39 pm GMT
> gaul Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:48 am GMT
The name 'Britain' which was kind of adopted and re-invented by the English, historically relates well to pre-England. <

"Britain" means fat swine in Old Hokkienese. In the old Celtic culture, the swine was a basic and important element.

Old Celt / Old Hokkienese
britain / pui-thun (peh-oe-ji), or pronounce as bui-tun
Thor   Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 pm GMT
"there was a tribe of mixed celts and iberians in spain before the romans, called celtiberians"

I think that the "celtiberian" concept did never exist. A language (in vocabulary mean) can't be mixed. You have a slavic or a germanic language, not the both. Same thing for Spain. It was a peninsula inhabited by iberian peoples, maybe with scattered tribes of celts, but the dominant language of the region was iberian. Probably the same in Aquitaine or Provence.
Apple Republic   Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:26 pm GMT
Whats the difference between Basques, Gascons, Bearnais and Aquitaine?

Are the Gascons a Basque, Ligurian or Iberian people?

Are the Bernais a de-Basqued Basque people?

What are the people along the Pyrenees west of Bearn then?

What was and is the relationship between Basques and Gascons...did like each other?

How far north along the Aquitaine coast do Basque place names go?

What areas of France use to be Spanish?

Whats the etymology of the department/word 'Landes' It looks Germanic but it isn't so what is it?
Thor   Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:32 pm GMT
"Whats the difference between Basques, Gascons, Bearnais and Aquitaine? "

For me, basque and Bearnais are modern designations of regional cultures in South-West Europe. Aquitaine is an old region, probably inhabited by pre-celtic peoples in Antiquity (iberians and aquitanians who were probably the same). And like i've already said, all those regions and people were probably a heritage of neolithic cultures (before indo-europeans).
? ? ?   Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:48 pm GMT
So your saying the terms Basque and Bearnais are modern labels to cover various groups living South West Europe / France. A bit like the term 'Celtic' covers different groups?

Thor your half answers and non-answers are rather confusing, could you please try again and answer the questions point by point >.
blanc   Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:13 pm GMT
<<"there was a tribe of mixed celts and iberians in spain before the romans, called celtiberians"

I think that the "celtiberian" concept did never exist. A language (in vocabulary mean) can't be mixed. You have a slavic or a germanic language, not the both. Same thing for Spain. It was a peninsula inhabited by iberian peoples, maybe with scattered tribes of celts, but the dominant language of the region was iberian. Probably the same in Aquitaine or Provence.

>>

Celtiberians were ethnic Celts that picked things from the Iberian culture, like script. The name "celtiberian" is somewhat misleading because they were not a blend of Celts and Iberians, just Celts that were influenced by Iberians. It's like calling the English "Germafrench" just because they have been influenced by the French speaking Normans.
Dover & Walmer Kitefl   Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:34 pm GMT
<It's like calling the English "Germafrench" just because they have been influenced by the French speaking Normans.>

Some English elites are called 'Anglo-Norman' rather than Anglo-Saxon. PS the Normans were no more French than a Chinese speaking Frenchman is Chinese.
PARISIEN   Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:54 pm GMT
<< Whats the etymology of the department/word 'Landes' It looks Germanic but it isn't so what is it? >>

-- French word "lande", of Celtic origin, is a generic term for "heath" or "moor".

It is indeed akin to Germ. "land" but has specialized into "piece of land unfit for cultivation"
Brouette   Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:26 pm GMT
<<No, 'Tolosa' is meaning contraction of the Germanic 'Tøll-hus'>>

It cannot be. The name 'Tolosa' was fixed largely before the Germanic invasions. It's historically impossible. Sorry.