B   Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 pm GMT
Is it pronounce "two thousand ten" or "twenty ten"?
Fucking Americans.   Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:14 pm GMT
or possibly "two thousand AND ten".
Blight   Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:46 pm GMT
<<Is it pronounce "two thousand ten" or "twenty ten"? >>

It isn't "pronounce" anything, matey.
vert blanc   Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 pm GMT
I prefer "two thousand ten" but the ""twenty ten" pronunciation is pretty common as well. I'm afraid that I don't know which one is more common.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm GMT
We've been here before on this one..onvce and for all it's TWENTY TEN.

Three short sharp syllables with no intervening, and entirely unnecessary conjunctions.

The Tenth of March Twenty Ten.....Twenty Fifty Two hours GMT UK local time.
Clarke   Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:12 pm GMT
Most British people seem to say:

...Two thousand and eight.
Two thousand and nine.
Two thousand and ten...

Though a few people say "twenty ten".
Captain Context   Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:16 am GMT
says it's "two thousand and ten" (or two zero one zero) when you're dealing with mathematics, and less so when you're referring to date and time.

You're more likely to hear "twenty ten" for date and time, but never so when you're dealing with mathematics.
Uriel   Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:52 am GMT
We're still saying two thousand ten over here. I think it's just fun to get to say "thousand".
Blight   Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:25 am GMT
<<We've been here before on this one..onvce and for all it's TWENTY TEN. >>

Speak for yourself, matey.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:59 am GMT
I invariably do just that, pal. Why be a puppet master and speak for others? To do so would be sheer arrogance, do you not agree?
Blight   Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:42 am GMT
<<I invariably do just that, pal. Why be a puppet master and speak for others? To do so would be sheer arrogance, do you not agree? >>

Of course, but you say it so categorically that you will make the people who are learning English think that that is the only way.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:23 am GMT
Well, it is the easiest way, that is so obvious, but as with everything in a world of free will and free speech and personal liberty people can verbally express the current year in any way that suits them.

For me that is simply "twenty ten" - short and sharp and effected in one point one seconds according to my stopwatch. Saying "two thousand and ten" took me all of two point four seconds to utter in my cool and cute Edinburgh accent - now what a waste of precious time that is - I could have been doing so much else with it....like making a cup of coffee or chucking a paper dart at my irritating colleague.

However, with regard to your comment about being considerate to those who are learning correct English I will keep your words in mind the next time I am in either Glasgow or Liverpool, and even Birmingham for that matter.
hello   Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:16 pm GMT
two thousand and ten
Clarke   Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:14 pm GMT
<For me that is simply "twenty ten" - short and sharp and effected >

Surely that should be "Short. Sharp. Affected".
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:37 pm GMT
No, the word should really have been "effective", but even so "effected" is more appropriate than "affected" in this sense.....one means something which denotes a satisfactorily completed action, and the other something which has been influenced by the action placed upon it.

Signed and sealed at twenty one forty one hours Greenwich Mean Time on Thursday eleventh day of March in this year of Grace Twenty Ten Anno Domini.