Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 pm GMT
The Antimoon clock is awry, askew, out of kilter. Send for the Clock Doctor poste haste.
T-man   Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:28 am GMT
<<The Antimoon clock is awry, askew, out of kilter. Send for the Clock Doctor poste haste. >>

Nobody cared last time, or the time before, or even the time before... I'm willing to bet nobody cares this time either.
John   Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:50 am GMT
We've been saying "two thousand" for over 9 years and it's unrealistic to expect people to suddenly start saying "twenty". I have faith that within a few years the entire English speaking world will start saying "twenty". Up until this year it would have just been too confusing to say "twenty" plus the year. Think about it. I certainly didn't get married in the year "twenty two"...
Clarke   Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:11 pm GMT
<one means something which denotes a satisfactorily completed action, and the other something which has been influenced by the action placed upon it. >

No, Damian; "affected" means that saying "twenty ten" smacks of affectation.
Steak 'n' Chips   Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:48 pm GMT
<<We've been saying "two thousand" for over 9 years and it's unrealistic to expect people to suddenly start saying "twenty".>>

Bull. No one's expecting anyone to say anything. And it's perfectly realistic to shorten "two thousand" to "twenty", should you wish to do so. Personally, I say "twenty ten" because it's shorter.

<<"twenty ten" smacks of affectation.>>

More bull. So "twenty ten" smacks of affectation just like "nineteen ten" smacks of affectation? LOL.
Fred   Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:31 pm GMT
How about "oh ten"?
enUS student   Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:02 pm GMT
<<I certainly didn't get married in the year "twenty two"...>>

That's exactly why you'd say 20-o-2
borgous   Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:12 pm GMT
How about just "ten"? Like "eighty eight" or "ninety five"?

I got married in ten. It's ten right now. In twelve the world's going to end.

Not too shabby.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:10 am GMT
In just over two years' time London will be hosting the next Olympiad...the Olympic Games......for the most part known here in the UK as "The Twenty Twelve Olympics". That is how it is most often described in the UK media, other than the more banal London Olympics of course....that sounds so, so parochially London-centric as if London is the centre of the bloody Universe - much as I love the place I have to say that.

I hope the world will survive Armageddon.

Why on God's precious earth should we waste breath using nine syllables by saying "The Two Thousand and Twelve Olympics?" when only six do? Think of global warming and all that, for goodness sake...chuck the unnecessary three into the green waste wheelie bins.

Edinburgh, Scotland - o-eight fourteen hours UK Greenwich Mean Time - Thursday - eighteenth of March - Twenty Ten.
sagara   Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:35 am GMT
<<
Why on God's precious earth should we waste breath using nine syllables by saying "The Two Thousand and Twelve Olympics?" >>

Your breath is something mighty precious to be so careful of...
sagara   Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:38 am GMT
How about;

2010 = oh ten
2011 = oh eleven
etc

That's even shorter than "twenty ten", so you can save yet more breath. Now let's see if Damian really cares about global warming.
ellachan91   Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:50 am GMT