Metro Bombing or Subway bombming?

Shuimo   Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:06 pm GMT
The bombings in Moscow subways are most unfortunate, and have grabbed headlines all over the media, which chose to have conveniently ignored the deaths of hundreds of miners in a mining accident in China's northern Shanxi Province that happened roughly the same time!;-(

Do you say metro Bombing or subway bombming, tube bombing, underground bombing or any other naming?

BTW:My pick wud be subway bombing!
Bob   Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:11 pm GMT
Well, depends on the type of English employed. Americans refer to the underground as the subway, tube is a colloquial way of referring to the underground here in the UK, and metro is also used here, although less frequently. Subway in British English refers to the tunnels that allow pedestrians to pass under roads and railway lines, so it is something completely different.
Truth   Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:52 pm GMT
Metro bombing because everyone knows it's called the "Moscow Metro".
Fact   Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:29 pm GMT
Underground bombing because everyone knows it occurred *underground*.
tubetruth   Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:39 pm GMT
Like Subway calling Metro Underground. So Tube.
Uriel   Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:17 am GMT
I think the Russians get to call it whatever they want, since it's their transportation system.
sorry but that's the lowd   Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:32 am GMT
<<and have grabbed headlines all over the media, which chose to have conveniently ignored the deaths of hundreds of miners in a mining accident in China's northern Shanxi Province that happened roughly the same time!;-( >>

That's what happens when you're a dime a dozen.
US   Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:29 pm GMT
Of course subway. Metro is too Britishy.
Shuimo   Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:06 pm GMT
Last time recently in Russia, it was metro tragedy, this time it is air crash catastrophe for the Polish president, grabbbing world headlines again!
What is going wrong within Russia's borders?
Bongo   Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:50 pm GMT
Nothing is going wrong. Everything is going right. Both plans successful.

Всё в порядке. Все идёт по графику. Оба плана осуществились успешно.
Bombming dynasty...   Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:17 am GMT
We don't say "bombming",
Shuimo. I'm going to say that was a typo, but you wrote it twice.
Bombming on a joke   Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:21 am GMT
I hope you laughed, Shuimo. I didn't resist the temptation.
Matematik   Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:41 am GMT
<<Of course subway. Metro is too Britishy. >>

A subway is pedestrian crossing that goes under and links two sides of generally a major road. Sillly American.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:05 pm GMT
***Metro is too Britishy***

Britishy? That's a new one....thank heaven's it's not in regular use as it even looks silly and can be mispronounced and made to look as if we Brits are timid and retirising souls unwilling to show our faces.

The London underground transportation system.........the world's very first of such, following on from the world's very first surface level railway network in the early 19th century (the world's very first railway line ran between Darlington and Stockton-on-Tees in County Durham, in NE England) by which time the world's very first organised police service was being set up by Sir Robert Peel in London, the forerunner for the present day Metropolitan Police.......is never called the Metro. It is universlly called either the Underground, or more commonly the Tube - probably because the vast network of tunnels involved resemble tubes, and that's evident when you stand on any of the platforms of any of the large number of stations pon the entire system which are below ground level.......some stations on the network are the deepest below ground level in the entire world.......off-hand I can think of Hampstead and Belsize Park in particular in this connection....a whole array of escalators to negotiate before you get up to street level and natural daylight.

However, the underground railway systems in some other British cities are indeed called the Metro, and I can think of the Tyneside Metro system which serves Newcastle-upon-Tyne and the surrounding Tyneside Metropolitan area.

But don't ever refer to the London Tube system as the Metro....it just doesn't apply, even though technically it is just that. In Paris, yes - it is indeed called the Metro, but not in London....just the Tube will do fine and the Tube will get you from Ealing Broadway to Cockfosters and from High Barnet to Morden and from Tottenham Court Road to South Wimbledon and every station in between and with an Oyster card especially it's as easy as pie....just slap your card on the disk and you're off - no probs.....so long as there isn't a signals failure at King's Cross/St Pancras or Regents Park....or, more alarmingly, that dreaded announcement of a "person under a train at Sloane Square".........

It's just been announced on a BBC Radio 4 news bulletin that the people of Edinburgh are the slimmest and the least obese than those of any other UK town or city. I'm quite chuffed about that but not at all surprised.....we so love our gyms up here.....my mum always used to tease me about becoming invisible whenever I stood sideways on.....I've not changed much...if at all.

For many months now the whole centre of Edinburgh has been turned upside down and very disrupted owing to a brand new and up to date transportation system costing gazillions of £s......I've not heard anyone refer to it as a Metro. Guess who'll be paying for it all......
Matematik   Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 am GMT
<<which chose to have conveniently ignored the deaths of hundreds of miners in a mining accident in China's northern Shanxi Province that happened roughly the same time!;-(>>

I remember an accident in an American mine, and also an explosion at a power station that led to a number of deaths, and UK media didn't report that any more than it reported the Chinese mine accident.