Metro Bombing or Subway bombming?

ESL question   Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:33 am GMT
<the people of Edinburgh are the slimmest and the least obese than those of any other UK town or city>

Is it permissible to use a superlative with than?
JM   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:40 pm GMT
One thing about the word "subway" vs "Underground" vs "Metro" or whatever. Most Americans actually refer to the London Underground as exactly that "the London Underground" since that its name. In San Francisco it's call "BART" (Bay Area Rapid Transit". When Americans refer to the one in Paris we call it the "Metro". In New York the system really is called "The Subway". We do not talk about the Paris or London "subway system", only that of New York. I am not convinced if the entire Underground = BE and Subway = AE is 100% accurate since those are actually proper names given a type of public transportation system.
ma:ti   Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:00 am GMT
>>In San Francisco it's call "BART" (Bay Area Rapid Transit)... In New York the system really is called "The Subway". <<

and in Los Angeles, its called "the metro"
it all depends on the local way. i know to call it "the subway" in NY because thats what they call it.
George Shrubb   Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:47 pm GMT
In Lundenwick the Subway/Metro is called both the Underground and Tube.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:44 pm GMT
***Is it permissible to use a superlative with than?***

Strictly speaking, no. I should of course have used "of" and not "than". Go to the top of the class - you are rewarded with a gold star - keep it up. My shameful narcissism over my slender frame had gone to my head I'm afraid.

Most Londoners simply call it the "Tube" although all the signs indicating the entire system including those outside stations state "Underground", but most of the individual stations are indicated by illuminated signs stating the name and then "Station" - as in "Green Park Station" or "Warren Street Station".

If you really have several hours to spare and nothing better to do with your time and like to indulge in "people watching" they say it's fun to travel the Circle Line (the "yellow" line on all maps of the London Underground system), starting off from one station - for argument's sake St James's Park Station - you get on any train no matter in which direction it is travelling, eastbound or westbound, but go westbound on this trip, making sure you have a seat. You travel to every station on the Circle line which goes round in a vast circle around the heart of Central London, so going westwards from St James's Park Station your first stop is Victoria Station, which is always very busy so expect a surge of people getting both off and on the train, but you're not bothered as you managed to get a seat at St James's. Next stop is South Kensington.....a posh area, full of Sloane Rangers named after nearby Sloane Square, so expect to hear pure thoroughbred Princess Di type accents all around.....later on you come to Earl's Court so be prepared to hear Aussie accents galore as this area is where many of them hang out big time.....nearly all the barmen in the many Earl's Court pubs seem to be from Oz.....carry on doing the Circle Line thing you come to all kinds of stations and see all kinds of people, the weird and the wonderful, coming and going, and a couple of hours or so later you arrive back at St James's Park Station again...back to your original starting off point. You'd be wise to make sure you hold an Oyster card for use on the Tube (or any London bus for that matter...no hassle buying tickets and all that nonsense....just slap it on the disc and you're fine.

The Circle Line is the favoured Tube line for holding various kinds of parties or similar, but the only problem now is this....the drinking of any form of alcohol or the obvious carrying of alcohol anywhere on the London Underground is totally banned....verboten, interdit, no go, nothing doing.....a lime and lemonade or a mango and orange J20 is OK but a bottle of Vladivar or a Malibu is quite out of the question......Boris has really put his foot down on all that sort of thing now.

In the UK a subway is generally a subterranean passageway for pedestrians beneath busy roads and streets rather than by a surface pedestrian crossing controlled by lights.....access is either down a slope or a flight of steps on either side. Many display the work of some truly talented graffiti artists on the subway walls. In certain urban areas subways are best avoided late at night.

There have been instances of American tourists in London thinking that a "Subway" sign indicated an Underground/Tube station, and I suppose that's understandable.