Why Hispanics loves the Portuguese idiom?

Amante   Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:33 am GMT
hi i am a speaker of Portuguese.
why Hispanics are interested in the Portuguese language?
i feel that most of them hates our idiom, but
they say they want to attach portugal, and constantly crosses the border of Brazil, to speak portuñol.
also say that if someone learns Spanish they will talk with 500 million plus 210 million Portuguese speakers.
and make forums to discuss if it is ugly is sexy and say that only women should speak portuguese etc.

neither Portuguese nor Brazilian gives too much importance to them.

why dont they leave us alone if they dont like us?
is some kind of fetish? they are trying to seduce us in a naughty way?

thank you very much and,bingo,my english is very bad.
Pepito Amarillo   Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:42 am GMT
I like Portuguese because it sounds like Russian. There are not many Russian speakers where I live, so the next best thing is a Portuguese speaker.
English   Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:04 am GMT
LANGUAGE, not idiom.
Kathy   Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:32 am GMT
Never heard such a thing.... most Spanish speakers according to statistics actually learn english more than any other language on this planet!
opinion   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:04 am GMT
Portuguese and Spanish are similar like two dialects of one language. The same situation is with Danish, Norwegian and Swedish,Dutch and Low Saxon,Czech and Slovak ,Indonesian and Malayan,Icelandic and Faroese,Dari and Farsi,Urdu and Hindi,Karelian and Finnish,Bulgarian and Macedonian,Occitan and Catalan,Serbian and Croatian.
opinion2   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42 am GMT
Spanish in the world

Spanish language in Brazil

In Brasil, where the official language is Portuguese, the Spanish language is becoming more and more important as a study subject. This is due to various factors; first of all because in the last years Brasil has redirected its commercial relations mainly to its neighbours, that is to say especially to those countries part of the Mercosur (Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Brasil itself) rather than to previous European and American partners. To this economic reason, we have to add a cultural one: in fact relationships with Castilian officialy speaking countries are growing in the sense that there are more and more cultural exchanges favored by phonetic and structural similarities the mentioned languages shared, which make it easier for Brazilians to learn Spanish.In 2005, then the Brazilian National Congress has voted a law that obliges all primary schools (both private nd public) to offer Spanish as second language.
Penetra   Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:13 am GMT
<< thank you very much and,bingo,my english is very bad. >>

Then why, why, humiliate yourself and annoy the rest of us to no end?
Leslie   Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:22 pm GMT
Speakers of Spanish don't care about Portuguese, just like English don't care about the speakers of Irish.
Ren   Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:08 pm GMT
and like many laws here, no one is following this spanish one. Thank god
Franco   Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:33 pm GMT
Obviously they also don't obey the law about not building favelas and sending children to schools.
Chileno   Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:40 pm GMT
As in any third world country in Brazil law is just a piece of paper without any real value. Everything is chaos ,samba and naked black women under the tropical sun.
Ren   Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:51 am GMT
Well, as much as I hate to agree, some of what Franco said is true. But I am sure happy that this helps us keeping spanish out of here. As far as Chileno, shut the fuck up and go to your shithole Mexico
kruG   Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:35 pm GMT
Galiza and Extremadura in Spain are learning Portuguese in public schools; a good percentage of people in Uruguay, Paraguay and Argentina speak Portuguese as first language; Guinea Equatorial adopted Portuguese as official; Morocco and Philippines will likely enter the CPLP this year...they really love Portuguese, i'm just saying..
Extremeño   Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 pm GMT
In Extremadura we learn only English and also French. Portuguese is only taught in university courses as an exotic foreign language. As for Galicia, they already speak Galician which is basically Portuguese with Spanish phonetics. It makes no sense learning Portuguese too. According to Eurostat 0% of Europeans speak Portuguese as second language.
Naranjo   Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:53 pm GMT
»As for Galicia, they already speak Galician which is basically Portuguese with Spanish phonetics. »

Not in the cities tho'.
In Vigo less than 5 % of people speak Galician, in La Coruña and other citries: less then 10 %

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Percentage_of_Galician_speakers_%28corrected%29.PNG

Galician is only spoken by old people in rural regions and even then it is used as if it were Castillian, heavily influenced by Spanish in grammar and phonetics (no nasal vowels, no differences between open and close vowels, only 5 vowels like in Castillian).

Young and/or urban people in Galicia prefer Castillian, just like in País Vasco and Valencian Community.