Expansion of the EU...

Franco   Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:58 am GMT
Europe is already too big. The German imperialism only wanted more and more market instead of a more solid and cohesionated Union. Romania and other Eastern countries should have never been allowed to join the EU. The money they received would be used better to help Greece, a much more European country than Romania or Bulgaria.
PARISIEN   Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:34 pm GMT
The EU as it is has NO FUTURE.

The only sensible way should be a three tiers structure:

- EU reduced to Benelux+France+Germany+Austria. With one President, one government, one Parliament, one Senate, one currency, one capital city (Brussels), one law system, and more importantly ONE TAX SYSTEM.
President would probably be some multilingual Luxembourger or Belgian leader, but if a German is elected I really don't care.

- In a second circle, European Community, which would be a free-trade zone like the EU currently is (+ Russia), devoid of any political leadership but able to accomodate with great flexibility various national entities. UK would fit perfectly in.

- And a vaguely shaped European Cooperation Organisation (modelled after NAFTA), which could include Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, Georgia, etc., possibly North Africa.

Nothing is possible otherwise.
But it's probably too late now.
Pavel   Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:39 pm GMT
"Romania and other Eastern countries should have never been allowed to join the EU. The money they received would be used better to help Greece, a much more European country than Romania or Bulgaria. "

Some could say that the money spanish and portuguese received would be used better to help Hungria, a much more european country than Spain or Portugal.
Franco   Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:59 pm GMT
Hungary does not need help and has nothing to do with Europe. It only need to be out of Europe. They speak a non IE language and are mongoloid. Also they were a puppet state of USSR for a long time.
Pavel   Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:51 pm GMT
"It only need to be out of Europe."

So Spain...
Reality   Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:20 pm GMT
''Also they were a puppet state of USSR for a long time''.

Despite themselves, Franco.
Romanian   Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:31 pm GMT
I agree with Franco . Hungarians are not European. They are undesirable people like the gypsys.
Franco   Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:05 pm GMT
Let's compare. Spain looks the most beautiful country.

http://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosiero:Espa%C3%B1a_y_Portugal.jpg

As you can see there is a lot of coast so we are isolated from low class countries like Hungary. This way we don't get disturbed and can concentrate in thinking about our grandiose condition.

Hungary:

http://img.radio.cz/pictures/romove/jarovnice3.jpg

I understand now why it is called Hungary. It's because most of people are hungry.
**   Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:18 pm GMT
Just one thing Franco: you're cruel to be kind.
Hope it helps YOU.
drew   Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:31 pm GMT
i'm partially greek myself, but i have to admit that modern greece is culturally not the most "european" country ever, as it has had ties to the near east and orient for a few hundred years. (due to the accursed turks) lol j/k. however, they have made a significant comeback and it is true that greece was in essence the birthplace of western civilization and many of the ideas that are common in western thought originated from greece. i really hope they get out of this problem and begin to prosper again. it's a great place with a fusion of different cultures and it's a pity they have been reduced to what they are today. and turkey has been applying since like '59 but haven't gotten in. i know a lot of people who are against it, but who knows. however i doubt they will get in anytime soon

as for hungary, i don't have anything against it, and i'm even part romanian too. i hear many of them actually don't find the eu too popular there though. all i can hope is that things will eventually get better; i can't blame french or germans for rethinking some of the newer members entry into the eu.
Franco   Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:57 pm GMT
Who knows what USA will be reduced to within 2000 years . Maybe it will be in worse situation than Greece, or maybe it will not exist at all. The Greek nation has 3000 years of history and yes , their glory days are gone. But the legacy of Classic Greece is more important than the legacy of any other nation that has existed ever. Also Greece is not such a bad country nowadays by any means. Their economy has improved a lot and attracts many migrants from other less developed countries of the Balkan Peninsula. Their GDP is bigger than Portugal's one and it is a more modern country I would say. It's not saying much, but what I mean is Greece is not that poor by any means. Greece is just victim of bad European policies and international financial crysis , that's all. California faces bankrupcy too but they are fortunate to be part of a true nation that supports them when things turn bad and not the EU where the northern countries ridiculise the southern ones like Greece. It's a pity that their effort to keep up with the richest European countries' level is not recognised. As for Turkey sorry but they are muslims and are in Asia. That does not sound very European to me.
Franco   Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:26 pm GMT
Baldewin   Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:09 am GMT
Godwin   Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:52 am GMT
Saul Bruckner   Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:42 am GMT
>>Should third-worlders like Romanians and Polish have been allowed in? Is it not unfair that these lazy people do nothing and just get paid for by Europe's greater nations?

How we get paid? AFAIK till now Romania is a net contributer to EU meaning that your "greater nations" are paid by us!
And don't confuse EU with Europe. Romanians are as European as it gets. Proof:

http://www.videonews.ro/action/viewvideo/42983/Bataie-intre-handbaliste-Ele-au-inceput/

Can you imagine this happening outside Europe?

PS: We hate EU. Unfortunately it seems there is no way to get out of it. The only good thing we got from EU was gypsies mass-leaving Romania. Good riddance!