The British need to get over it...

Quintus   Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:16 am GMT
>>Your connection of the two is rather feeble.>>

Suit yourself, Wintereis (you always do, what-what?).

Elizabeth Taylor has always considered herself British, and refers to the fact even in very recent interviews. If the truth be known, she was raised in no country, but inside a film studio (even her schooling and meals were undertaken on studio lots).
Hunter   Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:33 am GMT
Damian said:

<can you not guess what it is about the early Lilibet voice that now grates on our 21st century ears here in Britain? ... there is something about her gracious Majesty's manner of speaking and that of those others of her class and even those lower down the social scale in the England of that time which now sounds so very outdated and which is redolent of a "them and us" situation >

Damian, please clarify: are you saying that it isn't the quality of the voice in itself, or its timbre, or the particular sounds she makes, that "grate" for you, but the historic associations?
Uriel   Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:49 am GMT
<<Americans who say they 'don't have an accent' annoy me more, as if everyone in the world should speak GenAm. They don't realise to foreigners they have a very strong accent. >>

Normally this is an internal reference, not an international one, Trimac. It just means someone doesn't have any identifiable regional accent, like southern or New England. We grasp that we have an American accent as opposed to a British or Australian one.
Damian in Falkirk   Tue May 04, 2010 3:52 pm GMT
Thirty eight hours before the polling stations right across the UK open at 07:00hrs BST on Thursday 06 May 10 in the Parliamentary General Election, voting has now closed in the nationwide Marmite Election and the result has been declared.

I am pleased to announce a victory for the LOVE PARTY...and very conclusively too.

http://www.marmitenewsnetwork.com/?WT.mc_id=new_hope_online_ak132&WT.srch=1
Damian in Falkirk   Tue May 04, 2010 3:57 pm GMT
The clip in the above was apparently filmed in South Wales, probably in the Cardiff area....

Don't you just adore all those accents.....so very South Welsh.....I'm not too sure this scenario will go down well with the people dealing with the problems of starvation and food shortages in the Third World countries though......
Damian Edinburgh West   Tue May 04, 2010 10:32 pm GMT
The saying goes like this, doesn't it......"With friends like this who needs enemies"!

This clip shows the Labour Party candidate in the constituency of Norfolk North West, one who would, in the normal course of events, be supporting his Party leader, in this case the current Prime Minister of the UK - Gordon Brown.

Firstly our "dear" old Gordon had to contend with an elderly lady in the Rochdale constituency, near Manchester, who simply asked him about his policy towards immigration into the UK, and whom he later derided as being "that bigoted woman" when he thought he was well out of earshot in the back of his car, the silly sod having forgotten all about the mic attached to his lapel.

Now we have his fellow Labour party man in Norfolk North West, the candidate seeking election there, sounding off big time about all his many shortcomings as Prime Minister.

What bloody good fun it all is!

The current most widely used words here in the UK are "Hung Parliament"! Hang 'em all I say and let's be done with the lot of 'em!" ;-) Shades of Oliver Cromwell all over again......I shall do my knitting as I sit and wait beside the gallows.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7115555.ece
Uriel   Wed May 05, 2010 3:45 am GMT
Aren't you mixing your revolutions, there? ;P
Quintus   Wed May 05, 2010 8:44 am GMT
If 10, Downing Street, comprises a house where Charles the First lollygagged in velvets as a little boy, certainly the transition there in modern elections is no leisurely affair. In marked contrast to America, the nationwide vote count in Britain takes just hours, a winner is declared by tea time, then it's a game of sudden death at No. 10. Some departing Prime Ministers (notably Mrs Thatcher) have complained about the brutal brevity of the abrupt changeover on Election Day, wherein all the personal effects of the loser's family must be out the door by next morning, as the triumphant new tenant and his brood arrive, trophies and impedimenta in tow, for to take up residence in Downing Street.

May the best manicure win !

LAST GO-ROUND - The Guardian's thirty-second time-lapse camera observed the Blairs moving out and the Browns moving in :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inXk8_0n1hk
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed May 05, 2010 11:03 am GMT
Don't be surprised when told that Gordon Brown and the long suffering Samantha already have a huge Pickfords removals van parked as close to the rear of Downing Street as possible - unobtrusively, secretly and with a crew geared for immediate action estimated to be sometime around mid afternoon on Friday...it may be sooner if the election result is more decisive than expected, or it may well be sometime in mid July if we Brits are so confused and perplexed by the lot of them that we end up having that wretched Hung Parliament the media has been heralding in no uncertain fashion for weeks now and we witness the unseemly sight of Brown refusing to budge, his Pickfords crew brewing endless pots of tea while waiting for instructions from him, one way or the other, and both Cameron's and Clegg's Pickford vans waiting on Horse Guards Parade ready to move in all their chattels along with their respective wives' plans for new curtains and completely different interor designs and decorations while the three men battle it out between themselves as to which one of them will be the ultimate gaffer.

How soon will it be before the London West End stage sees the opening night of a brand new show: "Election Twenty Ten - The Musical" presented by Julian Lloyd Webber and starring a full cast of well known celebrity luvvies?
Nathan   Thu May 06, 2010 4:53 am GMT
I lived in San Francisco for many years and I worked in London for 3 years off and on. I have to say that some of the best prostitutes I've ever had were Chinese, Japanese and Viet Cong/namese immigrant whores in SF. Brit whores were ok too, but the Chinese whores are tops in my book.

Shuimo, drop me a line at Gillawetti@gmail.com. Maybe you could hook me up with your mom or sisters.
Irony   Thu May 06, 2010 6:30 am GMT
Whhhhhhaaaaaaatttttt?????

Chinese whores are the best? Are you crazy?

The Chinese whores are foul, I hate them.

Whores from other Asian countries are loads better.
Damian Edinburgh East   Thu May 06, 2010 10:22 am GMT
The British need to get over nothing really except all the problems caused by politicians......today is the day we diss the dross and elect the electable......put simply, they are all much of a muchness really - I'd vote for George my wee dog if I could but the powers that be here in the Edinburgh West constituency would not accept his nomination for candidature. I think I will lodge a complaint with the SSPCA (Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) or to the Dogs Trust.

As I say, the politicians are all as bad as each other with some more so than others....but a wee bit of rap eases the "pain" somewhat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s44FxCONTII
Penetra   Thu May 06, 2010 10:23 am GMT
You are married to one, aren't you? Do they have very tight vaginas?
Irony   Thu May 06, 2010 1:34 pm GMT
Lol, thanks for exposing your non-existant sexual experience for us franco.

Although to be honest I think we all kinda knew you were a virgin.
Penetra   Sun May 09, 2010 2:01 pm GMT
I am only saying this because I am still a virgin.!! I am not a virgin around the back though because franco has been up me a few times, doing the grab around as well.!! I could do with someone bigger though because franco has only got a small one.

Please help.!!