"practiCe" in AE and BrE?

Guest   Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:57 pm GMT
"However if any one wishes to learn the origin of a language they should go to that specific country,"
Save the air fare and buy a history book about that specific language or search google. More money than sense.
Uriel   Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:07 pm GMT
<<Interesting that you learn Latin American Spanish rather then Spanish, has that to do with the fact that you have so many Latin Americans in the United States?. >>

No. It has to do with our proximity to Latin America and the likelihood that we will be dealing primarily with them in business and in social situations, rather than with Spaniards. Latin Americans also outnumber Spaniards (by a whopping amount) and are of greater importance to us due to a humber of factors.

However, it should be noted that there is plenty of variation in the Spanish spoken in the New World, just as there is in the many dialects of English.
Guest   Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:29 pm GMT
Guest:
In Europe and Asia were taught the origin of any language in the schools.

Tiffany:
Thank you for answering my question about Latin American Spanish, interesting and good to know. I appreciate it.
Eric   Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:36 pm GMT
"However if any one wishes to learn the origin of a language they should go to that specific country,"

Go to = study. Really sorry, the problem when typing and not paying attention (my fault). Did not except anyone to put his/her ass in a flight seat cruising at 30 000 feet. :)
Guest   Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:49 am GMT
>>The point is the language is English, not matter if you speak the British, American, South African, Australian or New Zealand variety, etc.

As the original post was about "practice" and "practise", it is worth pointing out that these words are used and spelt similarly in Britain, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. It is in America ONLY that "practice" is used for both noun and verb. The other countries mentioned conform to the same standard of written English.
JJM   Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:42 pm GMT
"As the original post was about 'practice' and 'practise', it is worth pointing out that these words are used and spelt similarly in Britain, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. It is in America ONLY that 'practice' is used for both noun and verb. The other countries mentioned conform to the same standard of written English."

So what?
Guest   Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:36 am GMT
""The British way of doing it is the better way."

A statement based entirely on a spelling preference. Does anyone else find this rather pathetic?"

Yes, I do. I would have put it quite differently: The Commonwealth way of doing it is the correct way.
Guest   Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:07 am GMT
Haha, Commonwealth-boy or -girl... what a stereotype, still living in the dark ages under a foreign monarch. Does your mother still tell you how to wipe your crack?
j   Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:29 am GMT
Guest:
haha. I do love your key point here: "It is in America ONLY that 'practice' is used for both noun and verb."
Isn't it funny: approximately TWO THIRDS of native speakers of English live in the US, i.e. ONLY a great majority. Did you forget this?
Guest   Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:57 am GMT
"approximately TWO THIRDS of native speakers of English live in the US"

There are more than a thousand native speakers of English in the world, j, but yes, several hundred do live in the US.
j   Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:44 am GMT
I didn't count them, it's wikipedia says so.I kind of believe this.
C6143RS   Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:38 am GMT
Almost 70% of all native English speakers live in the US. That's actually slightly more than two-thirds I'd think.

In any case, this is a complete no-issue. We're not talking about speaking English; we're talking about writing it.
Larissa   Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:19 pm GMT
What are the American terms for "armchair" and "reading lamp"? Thank you
Larissa   Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:23 pm GMT
what does the word "nigga" mean? I think it's used in the US, is this something like "buddy"?
Larissa   Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:07 pm GMT
Answer me, please!