Will Dutch ever die out?

Baldewin   Thu May 27, 2010 5:28 pm GMT
I forgot, Brussels isn't in Flanders. Whatever. ;-) I meant Belgium in that case.
rep   Thu May 27, 2010 5:41 pm GMT
Language of geniuses ,such as Rembrandt,Van Eyck,Van Dyck,Rubens, Brueghel,Gerhard Gerhards (Erasmus Desiderius Roterodamus), Johan Cruyff,Ruud Gullit,Clarence Seedorf, will never die!
JES   Thu May 27, 2010 5:46 pm GMT
DUTCH IS ALREADY DEAD!!

Stop flogging a dead horse!
Lang leve het Nederlands!   Thu May 27, 2010 5:54 pm GMT
<<JES Thu May 27, 2010 5:46 pm GMT
DUTCH IS ALREADY DEAD!! >>
PERHAPS IT'S DEAD IN YOUR MIND BUT NEVER IN REALITY.
Franco   Thu May 27, 2010 5:55 pm GMT
<< Language of geniuses ,such as Rembrandt,Van Eyck,Van Dyck,Rubens, Brueghel,Gerhard Gerhards (Erasmus Desiderius Roterodamus), Johan Cruyff,Ruud Gullit,Clarence Seedorf, will never die!

>>

it really amazes me how such a small country like Flanders gave so many fine painters only comparable to the Spanish and Italian ones. Often Germanics are deemed as not being artistically capable, but the Flemish contradict that.
rep   Thu May 27, 2010 6:03 pm GMT
<<it really amazes me how such a small country like Flanders gave so many fine painters only comparable to the Spanish and Italian ones.>>
Rebrandt and Bruegel were Hollanders.
Baldewin   Thu May 27, 2010 6:04 pm GMT
I'm not going to be on Antimoon for some weeks. Anyway, and Flemish used to have a period in history of great prosperity and contributed a lot to visual arts. I also think Dutch will be alive for a while, by the way. We are an economical hotspot due to our harbours (Rotterdam, Antwerpen) which assures us of a good education in good times (I think it's that).
We're also close to other great nations like the UK, France and Germany, and that also aids us. Very still, Flemish are not known to be proud, and sometimes that's a good thing. When swallowed by pride decadence ensues and it would make the end of it.
Baldewin   Thu May 27, 2010 6:05 pm GMT
Brueghel a Hollander? He was a Brabander and lived a great deal of his life in Antwerpen. During his lifetime he lived in the 'Spanish Netherlands', which is a predecessor of Belgium.
Baldewin   Thu May 27, 2010 6:07 pm GMT
Keep in mind that North Brabant used to belong to the Southern Netherlands in that time. Even nowadays they're Catholic, despite belonging to the (Northern) Netherlands.
rep   Thu May 27, 2010 6:38 pm GMT
Sorry, I was wrong.Native Brueghel's town Breda is in North Brabant,province of the Netherlands.
rep   Thu May 27, 2010 7:50 pm GMT
Dutch singer Sieneke sang her song Ik Ben Verliefd in Dutch language. Many other participants of Eurovision contest sang in English.
Dutch lover   Thu May 27, 2010 8:01 pm GMT
Dutch will never die. It will eventually merge with English and conquer the world!

M#therF%ckers. >:|
PARISIEN   Thu May 27, 2010 9:02 pm GMT
Le néerlandais est beaucoup plus solide qu'on croit. Sinon :

- Ils auraient choisi de s'aligner sur le hochdeutsch au 16e siècle (mais les Hollandais/Flamands ne l'ont pas fait)
- Les Boeren sud-africains auraient été facilement anglicisés (seuls 2 ou 3% l'ont été, en plus d'un siècle)
- Les Flamands auraient été facilement francisés vers 1850 (mais les paroisses catholiques ont résisté contre, avec succès)

Il manquait au néerlandais une grande littérature, mais il a eu Hugo Claus.
Qui a lu 'Het verdriet van België'?
Je l'ai lu dans les 2 langues, et croyez-moi, c'est une oeuvre majeure de la fin du 20e siècle.

Même si 80+% des Néerlandais parlent couramment l'anglais basique, seuls 0,0001% pourraient s'en servir comme substitut à leur langue maternelle.
BP   Thu May 27, 2010 9:06 pm GMT
Dutch is dead, just get over it and move on... It died a slow long death!
Dutch Treat   Fri May 28, 2010 2:31 am GMT
<< So basically it's already DEAD! Because people in the Dutch carribean only 7% speak Dutch, and in Suriname? Where the Fcuk is Suriname... o yeaa that tiny small country you will never hear anything about. >>

Before 21st century, there were virtually no native speakers of Dutch in the Antilles except for the Dutch/Flemish expats. But now, it reached at least nearly 10% and most of this are not Dutch descent but mulattoes who used to be native speakers of Papiamento and that's already a great success for the language.

In Suriname, there only few thousand native Dutch speakers. Majority are either native speakers of Sranan Tongo, Hindi, or Javenese. But things have changed in the 21st century. As you can see, 60% of the Surinamese speak Dutch as their first language. They even have their own form of Dutch approved by the the Nederlandse Taalunie or the Dutch Language Union.

South Africa is a special partner of the Taalunie and is seeking the help of the latter to further the spread of Afrikaans (Cape Dutch) in South Afirca.