English People...

ABDOO   Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:50 pm GMT
I agree.But as we know,in all over the word:The are polite and impolite people.that doesn't depend on the language which is spoken.There usually should be (BAd and good
Guest   Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:20 pm GMT
>If you knew anything about linguistics you would know that American English is not different enough for it to be considered its own language. <

You tell that to Noah Webster and he'll turn upside down in his grave. The biggest denial by an American - not admitting that his 'version' of the language is just plain old English with an American twist.
Uriel   Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 am GMT
<<You tell that to Noah Webster and he'll turn upside down in his grave. The biggest denial by an American - not admitting that his 'version' of the language is just plain old English with an American twist. >>

"HIS" version? He's one guy! The vast majority of his so-called "reforms" were never adopted, you know; just a couple of minor spelling changes. It IS just plain old English with a "twist" -- as are ALL dialects outside of the UK -- and you don't see Jamaica or New Zealand trying to rename theirs....
Guest   Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:46 am GMT
<<"HIS" version? He's one guy! The vast majority of his so-called "reforms" were never adopted, you know; just a couple of minor spelling changes. It IS just plain old English with a "twist" -- as are ALL dialects outside of the UK -- and you don't see Jamaica or New Zealand trying to rename theirs.... >>

Oh my God! Uriel said the 'E' word. I'm so going telling your mother you foolish girl.
Uriel   Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:58 am GMT
The "E-word"?
Tiffany   Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:55 am GMT
English?
Guest   Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:33 am GMT
Easy to see where the numbers are on this forum. Is there one where that's not the case?
Damian in English Scotlan   Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:09 am GMT
I wish I'd never brought up this stupid idea of calling the US English version American! As I say, it was a wee bit of a prank. OK, let's suggest that the people of Manchester, England, set up a petition for their version of English to be officially called Mancunian. That even sounds authentic, and what's more, everyone will know the proper name of the Language they all speak in Coronation Street. :-)

American? Mancunian? OK - silly idea.....let's forget it. Universally it's ENGLISH. Agreed? Good! Cheers!
Uriel   Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:01 am GMT
<<I wish I'd never brought up this stupid idea of calling the US English version American!>>

Oh, we'll make you pay, Damian! :P
Liz   Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:54 am GMT
"Apply what? Yes, I can say that your "contra" (I think you meant 'counter,'"

"Contra" is English, [straight from the Latin: contrā, against.] and means "In contrast or opposition to; against."

Seems reasonable to me.
Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:23 am GMT
<<"Apply what? Yes, I can say that your "contra" (I think you meant 'counter,'"

"Contra" is English, [straight from the Latin: contrā, against.] and means "In contrast or opposition to; against."

Seems reasonable to me. >>

But the expression is 'counter-suggestion' not 'contra-suggestion'.
Candy   Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:34 am GMT
Guest above was me.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:14 am GMT
***Oh, we'll make you pay, Damian! :P***

Hee hee! Will you take a cheque......or a check? :-)
Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:16 am GMT
I'm sorry the Bank of America does not accept cheques. Would you kindly leave the building please.

*stamps 'decline' on cheque.*

NEXT!
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:04 pm GMT
OK

***Damian rips up cheque and offers monopoly money instead, convinced that that if he offered Uriel Scottish bank notes she would merely fold them up and make paper darts out of them***