Pronunciation of 'France'

Guest   Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am GMT
<It seems that it isn't just Anti-Anglo but Anti-Germanic vitriol from the languages forum that is spilling over into the English forum.>

I think the moderaters are bias towards latin people. See in the language forum is see many threads glorify the latin people and their culture and the onslaught of people of Germanic stock.

In most cases these threads are not even related to Languages but just plain old racism and bitching under the banner of 'Struggle against the Germanic oppression.

Why don't I put some threads to glorify the Germanic people and our culture? I bet the thread will be deleted by the moderators in no time.
Gjones2   Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:14 am GMT
Some threads are obviously going nowhere and are quickly deleted, including ones that appear to be anti-Latin (such as the recent one with a title that claimed that Hitler was French, or something to that effect). Once a thread contains a good many serious posts, though, only the disruptive posts should be deleted, not the entire thread. Otherwise the efforts of the people trying to counterbalance the disruptive posts will seem wasted. For example, the title called "Anglo-Saxon barbarian language?" doesn't sound promising, but actually it contains some serious posts about language and culture.

I would imagine that you could "glorify the Germanic people and our culture" as much as you wished if you did it in the form of posts about why their languages are worth learning and non-provocative descriptions of what's good about their cultures. A thread with a provocative title and obviously intended just to antagonize others, though, might not last.
just guest   Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:32 am GMT
uriel> I spoke German until I was 5 and my family moved back to the US

Is german your first language then ? Are you fluent in German ?
Candy   Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:51 am GMT
<<Jason and Candy what qualifications did you have earn inorder to be offered positions at English teaching schools?

I read many schools perfer Native English speakers to teach their students. Candy as you are in Germany were you to have some knowledge of the German language to get your job in Germany? >>

I have a BA and an MA in English (Literature) and History plus a Trinity College TESOL certificate (it's the equivalent of the Cambridge CELTA). About my German knowledge: no, it's not usually considered essential to be able to speak German, and I know quite a few teachers who didn't speak much when they first arrived. However, I've always been really glad that I can speak it! I only teach higher levels so don't need to use German in the classroom, but at the very least knowing German helps me understand why people make the mistakes they make, and the best way to help them.
Candy   Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:53 am GMT
<<Is german your first language then ? Are you fluent in German ? >>

I should probably let Uriel answer her own questions :), but as I understand it, she came from an Army family and when they moved back to the US, they stopped speaking German, so that now she can't speak it.
Gjones2   Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:53 am GMT
>I will continue coming to this site. [Johannes]

Glad to hear that.
Uriel   Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:16 pm GMT
<<Is german your first language then ? Are you fluent in German ? >>

<<I should probably let Uriel answer her own questions :), but as I understand it, she came from an Army family and when they moved back to the US, they stopped speaking German, so that now she can't speak it.>>

You got it! You can say that German was my first language, because although I was technically bilingual as a small child (obviously my parents spoke to me in English as well, since they were American), I had a much better grasp of German than English, and could even read it -- I had a lot of little story books in both languages. But once I moved to the US I stopped speaking it. My mother was fluent in German from taking it in high school and living there a decade, and she even started out majoring in German in college, but she dropped it in favor of biology after a couple of years, and never spoke it around the house. She mistakenly believed that since I had learned it so young, I would retain it forever. She can still speak it today, but I can't.
Guest   Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:54 am GMT
Its very sad when children stop learning their mother tongue or country tongue because of some ignorant parents.
Uriel   Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:11 am GMT
Well, I have never had much occasion to use German again, so I can't say I miss it.
Guest   Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:17 am GMT
You’re a bit silly ! you could have earned a nice living as an official german-english translator. Now your just as dumb as any American.

there is a saying:

if you speak 2 languages you can have 2 lives
Guest   Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:21 am GMT
Americans are the most uneducated Germanic peoples. The British are indeed stupid as well but still have class over their dumber cousins.
Uriel   Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:22 am GMT
Oh, you're one of those ... how disappointing.

Never mind.
Guest   Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:53 am GMT
>>Oh, you're one of those ... how disappointing.<<

Superior? Well I didn't want to bring that up in the first place. I wouldn't want you to feel subhuman to such a superior culture like mine to your caveman Germanic culture.
Guest   Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:03 am GMT
>>You’re a bit silly ! you could have earned a nice living as an official german-english translator. Now your just as dumb as any American.
<<

Amen to the Gringo idiots. Viva la France!
Zero   Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:07 am GMT
In australia we say France like "Ants" with a Fr at the front.

Fr-ants

English people is more like Fr-O-nts