Fish/Fishes

Trust   Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:23 pm GMT
Hey all,

I have a clarification here. One of my trainer told that there is no such word as "fishes". She says that the word 'fish' is both singular as well as plural.
I have a feeling that the word 'fishes' are used worldwide.
Can anyone suggest me on this?

Thanks,
Trust
Claude   Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:33 pm GMT
Even if you caught two fish you may have got other fish to fry.

Singular is acceptable many times.

Claude.
Trust   Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:36 pm GMT
Thanks Claude,

But I wanna know if the usage of fishes is right.
Coz, I normally use the word fishes for plural.

Please explain.
Thanks
Trust   Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:51 pm GMT
Hey answers plz. .... . . . .

Thanks
Claude   Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:53 pm GMT
Then you should go for coral fishes :

"http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/2298/"

Cheers.
Trust   Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:14 pm GMT
My dear Claude,

Please don prank. I was seriously looking for an answer. Oops, not the answer which you gave. I wanted somthing which can prove grammatically.

Cheers
Claude   Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:33 pm GMT
Hi dear Trust !

A childish prank is not always helping. Now you look like a fish out of water and I feel like really helping you.

Talking food, fish like meat is singular : fish and chips

Talking of species, fish is plural : great variety of fishes

And this time I am serious.

Cheers.
Claude.
Adam   Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:05 pm GMT
If there is more than one sea creature of the same species, the plural is "fish."

If there's more than one sea creature of different species, the plural is "fishes."

The same is also true of "deer/deer".
Adam   Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:08 pm GMT
Lots of angel fish and nothing else in a fishbowl - plural is "fish."

Lots of fish of all different types in a fishbowl - e.g. angel fish, goldfish, stickleback - plural is "fishes."
Adam   Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:09 pm GMT
That should have been "deer/deers."
Trust   Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:23 pm GMT
Thanks Claude and Adam.

Claude, a special thanks to you for making me a fish out of water. May I know from which are you from? American/Britan/???

Again, this is nothing to do with fishes, it is just to do with wishes.

Thanks both again.
Tiffany   Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:26 pm GMT
I believe Adam is right. I use the "fish" for the singular and plural almost exclusively myself though - so not the correct way. The only time I've pluralized it with "s" is when I want to be cute and say someting like, "Look at all those fishies" - which to me sounds like something a child would say.
Guest   Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:27 pm GMT
<<May I know from which are you from>>
Oops, I mean which part of the world are you from?
Guest   Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:40 pm GMT
Hi Tiffany and Adam,

Below are few mentions of fishes in answers.com and wikipedia.

http://www.answers.com/fishes&r=67

fish (fĭsh)
n., pl. fish or fish·es.
Any of numerous cold-blooded aquatic vertebrates of the superclass Pisces, characteristically having fins, gills, and a streamlined body and including specifically:....................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishes

Note on usage: "fish" vs. "fishes"
"Fishes" is the proper English plural form of "fish" that biologists use when speaking about two or more fish species, as in "There are over 25,000 fishes in the world" (meaning that there are over 25,000 fish species in the world). When speaking of two or more individual fish organisms, then the word "fish" is used, as in "There are several million fish of the species Gadus morhua" (meaning that G. morhua comprises several million individuals). To see both in action, consider the statement "There are twelve fish in this aquarium, representing five fishes" (meaning that the aquarium contains twelve individuals, some of the same species and some of different species, for a total of five species). The usage of the two words is similar to that of the words "people" and "peoples".

These things mention that fish and fishes both exist. Thanks for your words. (But, am happy that the word 'fishes' is atleast used)

Trust :)
Claude   Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:43 pm GMT
Trust,

I am a French native speaker from Switzerland, living alternately in my two homes : Switzerland and southern India.

Cheers. Claude.